Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #1  

tb8100

Silver Member
Who makes the best loaders and backhoes?

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #2  
I have only had experience with 1 woods backhoe. I don't remember the model but it was a 3 point hitch mount on my ford 1510. That backhoe was such a POS I will never own another one. I was guaranteed every 3 graves something would break. By the time the thing finally died it had more welds done by me than factory welds. Two cylinders bent and the setup to pivot the hoe arm side to side was a joke. Granted this backhoe was a 20 year old model but it only lasted 14 years, most people would have replaced it after 8 but my boss was too cheap.

When we replaced the woods we got a frame mounted new holland hoe and I am much more impressed by it. Made from thicker steel, gusseted better. The cylinder bores were much larger, the controls for the valve body are much higher quality, and it uses a better system to swing the boom. We have 6 years on the new holland hoe and the only repair I had to do was a blown hydraulic hose and that was my fault.

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #3  
I have a Rhino 75 frame mount. Been good so far. But only about 200 hours.

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #4  
I sell all 3 in some form or another, the Woods stuff is without question the best.

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #5  
tb8100 said:
Who makes the best loaders and backhoes?

For the money, I'd put mine on KMW for the loader and Bradco for the Backhoe. BobG in VA

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #6  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I sell all 3 in some form or another, the Woods stuff is without question the best.

I have used Woods and I have to respectfully disagree, unless they did some serious modifications to their design since 88. My woods had 2 of the 3 main cylinders bent, the ears at the center joint broke so many times I lost count, the chain for the swing arm kept stretching, and hose routing was a nightmare. Just a personal experience on my part...I'd put my money into another new holland if I ever had to.

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #8  
Gravdigr said:
I have used Woods and I have to respectfully disagree, unless they did some serious modifications to their design since 88.

Yes. Things are very different than they where 20 years ago.

ALO does make a nice product as well, but their options for compacts are pretty limited. They do much more with larger machines.

Bradco is probably one of the strongest backhoes around, but they have a very limited selection of mounts.

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #9  
I don't have a Woods "GroundBreaker" but, I wish I did. I know someone who has the model year 06 I think, and that is the best QA subframe Hoe I have seen. They now make one with the excavator style boom. That will be my next big purchase.

/ Loaders and Backhoes: Woods vs Bush Hog vs Rhino #10  
Yes, much has changed in 20 years. Most backhoes weren't subframe mounted, all are today. The backhoes of today would tear a compact up in a matter of hours if it weren't subframe mounted. Some of those old hoes would barely do the work of a shovel. Look at a WOODS backhoe today. I don't think they can be beat. Bradco is very good too, but as said, limited mounts. Dealer support is shady around here, but every dealer in the area carries WOODS.