Well, I finally went and did it!

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #11  
u can update your profile now/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif tractor make &model. and post some pictures please.

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #12  
Moon -- There are plenty of non-corrosive fluids that can be used as tire ballast. I use the "animal safe" antifreeze as I have five dogs, several cats, etc. Others use windshield washer fluid. Neither will damage your rims one bit.

I live in the Green Mountains of northern Vermont. Very hilly, with some wicked slopes. I couldn't believe the difference in stability the loaded tires made, especially with FEL work. Traversing a slope with a full bucket held really low, hit a small bump, and before ballasting my tires I had more than my share of "pucker" moments when that uphill tire seemed like it wanted to ease up into the air. Now, everything stays on the ground where it's supposed to be.

The only downside from my perspective is that those filled tires are gawd-awful heavy if you ever have to change one out.

Pete (geek)
Clementine (L3010HST)

/ Well, I finally went and did it!
Profile updated! I was waiting to actually get the tractor to update, but once i got it i wanted to be on it instead of online ...so i didn't post the pic or update as soon as i had planned ..anyway here's a pic for ya.
L3010, with FEL, RD72 attached.

moon

Attachments

• 46-142255-MVC-266F.JPG
    46-142255-MVC-266F.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 91
Yo Boondox;
How does Clementine (good name) do in high with those tires loaded? Also which tires do you have on yours?
Without em loaded, when in high range with a medium load of wood in the bucket and the RD72 on the back mine bogged down to where i had to switch to med or low range. No biggie, but i was wondering how much difference you noticed now that you have yours loaded.
Thanks for the info on the non corrosive fillers. Do you know off hand how many gallons each tire takes? Kubota lists the gross weight about 1300 lbs more with Industrial tires loaded. (2700 without and 4000 lbs loaded).

moon

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #15  
Moon,

Here is a thread about building your own ballast box:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buildit&Number=124154&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buildit&Number=124154&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=</A>

I use medium range for just about everything. It is usually fast enough to do mowing and stong enough to do hills etc...

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #16  
Moon,

I am envious. What a great time to take delivery. The specs on that machine are great and I have recommended it to friends. Have Fun!

Buck

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #17  
Thanks! I got her from down South (Carver) and she's bright orange, so the name fit.

I have aggies on her. My neighbor had R4s, but because of the steepness combined with that classic New England grayish-brown clay, he got stuck so often he also switched to ags.

The sad fact is the L3010 has a fairly wimpy power to weight ratio (both the B2910 and the L3410 are better on hills). The only time Clementine has ever seen high range is the time we drove into the village to have her bucket hooks welded on. Probably 75% of the time she's in low, though I typically get away with mowing in mid range by traversing the slope from top to bottom. My meadow has a 22% grade: pretty steep when hauling anything.

Can't really answer your question about the difference in climbing between loaded and naked tires. They were unloaded only in winter when the tractor was stuck in low range and wearing those Norse ice chains.

Not sure how many gallons are required; any tire shop would be able to tell you, though.

Have fun. It's a great rig!

Pete

Thanks MrP for the link to the ballast info. I agree with you on using the Medium range for most things. I got to mow again last night and stayed in medium the whole time. It's sure fast enough for me in med, and it does get me up the hills with no problem.

Buck, your right! Great unit and great time to take delivery. Spring has sprung and all kinds of things i can get into with my new toy / workhorse. I'd never have thought it, but now I actually look forward to mowing da grass!!!!

Happy tractoring!!!!

Moon

Pete,
As I said in a previous post, I got to mow last night and medium range did just fine. High range has its place when you have an open road / trail , but i figure i'll be in medium more often than not.

So far the R4's seem to do okay for me. But i got trails with the dreaded clay that i haven't been on yet. I sure hope i don't have to spring for AG's. I know they go on different rims than the R4's and i figure they'd be purty darn expensive. To bad they don't give ya the Ag's with the tractor when you pay 600 plus to upgrade to R4's ....yea, right; wishful thinking but it'll never happen.

later on,
Moon

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #20  
I noticed the HP to Weight ratio as well. My hill is so steep if I could go faster I would get in trouble so I do not complain.
It would be nice to have the extra H-P, but I maxed out on the price so all's well!