Well, I finally went and did it!

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #1  

Moon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61
New L3010 ordered

I sat in a lot of seats over the last few weeks. My final decision was for the Kubota L3010 HST, Ind. Tires (filled). My setup includes a FEL, a 6’ rear discharge brush hog finish mower, and a 6’ box blade. Everything is in stock, except for the FEL. No delivery date set yet.

I was real close to getting a Power Trac instead, visited the factory and all. I drove the 422 and the 1430. The 1430 really impressed me. Very nice unit and would probably do a nice job for most of my chores. One of the deciding factors that sealed the deal for a conventional tractor over the PT was box blade’ing. I have a few miles of dirt road to maintain and I didn’t relish the thought of backing all the way. Chris at PT showed me all the implements that I was considering purchasing and let me try them all (some on both machines). The one big surprise was that I requested to mow on a slope. They don’t have one. I would have thought they would have moved a little dirt and set up a demo area for slope mowing, but no such luck.

After driving a 2910 (again) I thought for sure that was the one, but with the 1400 dollar rebate on the L3010 the price of the 2910 and the 3010 were within 100 dollars of each other. I drove a couple different 3010’s and was impressed with the overall maneuverability of it for its size. The weight of the tractor helped. I can use the extra mass for many of the chores I have planned.

Has anyone used the 6’ brush hog finish mower (rear discharge)? Is this one of the better 3ph 6’ mowers? Other recommendations?

Thanks to all on TBN who have ever posted anything! I’ve learned from you all. Now I can’t wait to get some real seat time on this baby.

A big smile on the ole Moon tonight!!!!!

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #2  
Research well done, moon.
I wondered why it was so bright out tonight...

Enjoy,

Sabi

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #3  
Congratulations on your decision! Huge weight off the mind, huh? Now just sit and wait, and to pass the time start making a list of all the projects that you'll want to get done! Don't forget to add taking pictures to your list! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #4  
Congrats on your new L3010. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Seem like L3010 a hot model a long w/the BX model this year being purchase.

No delivery date set... /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif...lets hope w/in a couple of weeks.

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #5  
Congrats moon!

I've had a L3410 for three years. You will love it.

As to the mowing deck, I have a Befco C50 RD6 finish mower. It does a great job, is rock solid reliable and is very well built.

Three years ago, I did the same evaluation that you did between the B2710 (no B2910 available at that time) and the L3410. After driving the L series, there was no doubt in my mind. My neighbor has a B2910 and every time I drive it, it feels like a toy compared to mine.

I'm not dis-ing the B series, I just prefer the feel of the L series.

Attachments

• 46-138659-TractorandDeckSide.jpg
    46-138659-TractorandDeckSide.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 106
   / Well, I finally went and did it! #6  
CONGRATS : u will love the new machine.if everything is in stock u should be able to take del. soon. enjoy and post pics.

/ Well, I finally went and did it!
They delivered my new workhorse / toy yesterday!!!! Perfect timing, cause the grass sure needed cut. What a nice set up this is. The rear mowing deck worked flawlessly. Moved an ole plow with the FEL that i had put off doing for over a year. Very very happy with my purchase. Had to make some room in my storage building, but i got her inside for the night. I'm out of town tomorrow, but sometime this weekend I'll have some pics to post.
One thing, the dealer forgot to fill the tires. The dude that delievered it said for me to use it a bit and if I find i need them filled just let them know and he'll come back and do it. He didn't think filling them would help much with traction, and just a little with stability. Also pointed out how it will eventually cause rust inside the wheels. The tractor does seem very stable. I went on a slope that I used be a 3 or 4 on the pucker scale with my simplicity and its now a zero. the bigger wheel base makes a huge difference. If you don't mind, how bout telling me the upside and downside of fillng the tires. I'm reconsidering whether or not i want em filled.
Thanks all;
Moon

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #8  
<font color=blue>"...how bout telling me the upside and downside of fillng the tires."</font color=blue>

Congratulations on receiving the toy...er....work horse!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I guess you'll have some fun now, huh? How is it that with a tractor it's fun, but without a tractor it's work??/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Must have something to do with the President of Mexico - Manual Labor!/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Moon, I can't answer your question about filled tires as I do not have filled tires....or any tractor tires/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif - yet! From reading the various posts that have been out there, like <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=92790&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Counterweights</A> the extra weight serves as a counterweight to the FEL, adds stability on slopes, and helps improve traction and digging power. I'm sure there are more advantages to filled tires, but you need to have one of the other guys who has experience with it chime in. I'm sure they will, too!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Well, I finally went and did it! #9  
Moon,

You are going to want some weight in the back of the tractor to counter balance the front weight of the FEL. If you pick up a 1000lbs of gravel or something like that, it can pick the back of the tractor off the ground (I have done it on my neighbor's B2910).

You can use a weighty implement, balast box (which you can make for under $50), or filled tires.

Personally, when my FEL arrives for my L3410, I'm going to build a balast box.

/ Well, I finally went and did it!
I got a chance to work my FEL with the 6' RFM attachted and it did fine. Then I tried using the loader with nothing on the back (no heavy work - i cleared some brush & dug a trench) and both the tractor and the FEL worked great in both situations. Purty cool!!!
I will normally have the mower or box blade on the back and either will suffice for ballast purposes. ....and i don't mind not hauling around approx 1300 extra pounds if those babies were loaded. High range is weak on hills, so the added weight would only make it worse.
Good luck with yours MrP.

Moon