New vs. Used: What's your experience?

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #1  

yankee7

OK...amongst all the recommendations/opinions on what tractors to buy, some people suggest new and others say used. I've bought both new and used cars over the years and have to say that while new -- with a good warranty -- offers some peace of mind, used offers often substantial savings and allows getting "more" for your money. Of course the trick is how can you avoid the headaches that come with wear and tear of used equipment?

So my question is, for those of you who have bought used: do you regret it? Would you do it again? Are tractors different than cars -- better built -- so that buying used (with low hours) isn't as much of a risk?

OK, that's three quesitons, but they's all trying to get at the same issue: new or used, which way do you lean based on your experience (not just your opinion).

Thanks!

Dave

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #2  
Having had good luck with cars in the past, I started out looking exclusively for used tractors. After about a month of looking, the few units I found were priced really high. I don't know if it's a local phenomenon or what, but tractors around here (Colorado Front Range) apparently hold their value way too well.

I would have bought used if I could have made the numbers work.

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #3  
I bought my BX22 with about 85 hours on it for about 3K less than a new one. That kept my cost of ownership very low. My next tractor is on the way, and I ordered it new since that was the only way I could find what I am looking for. I certainly had good luck with my used BX, but I bought it from a reliable dealer too. Good luck, and fun in your search!

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #4  
I' ve bought new for both tractors so far. I would buy used from freinds or acquaintices that I know were taken care of. Don't know if I would buy used from strangers especially if they were rentals. plowking

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #5  
Bought my Kubota with 230 hrs on it...now has 600. was able to get it for price of new tractor BUT, it ALSO had a cab, hydrostatic transmission and hay spike thrown in for that price. It was a good buy for me, no problems so far.

I'd do the same again, assuming the same kind of deal.

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #6  
I bought new, because I had absolutely no experience with tractors and wanted to be sure I got one where everything worked right.

Now that I have some experience, I would have no hesitation to buy used if I found the right deal.

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #7  
I bought both of mine used and saved about 3K on the 790.
The old 670 I had cost about 9K but included a fairly new Befco 60" finishing mower. That 670 was 10 years old and was not a current model when I bought it,so it's difficult to determine any savings.

I'd go used again. I don't think buying used makes much sense for a tractor less then 3 or 4 years old though...not if you have to finance it through a bank. Could be what ever you save on the price may be ate up by higher interest rates.

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #8  
I've done both. Good results either way. It depends upon the particular tractor and the merits of the deal - interest rates, warranty, additional implements in the package, etc. whether or not to go with a used machine or a new one.

Most low hour, good condition machines are gonna be real close to new prices. So, you gotta keep your eyes open and hope your gonna come across a good deal sooner or later.

A good used machine is similar to a good used car deal; I believe. If the owner has detailed maintainance records, all the manuals, and the machine looks to be taken care of -- if the price is right; you're likely gonna come out OK.

I don't jump at "great price" deals if the machine looks like it's been rode hard and put up wet! Tractor parts and repairs on a piece by piece basis cost quite a bit more than fixin' up your Toyota Camery.

AKfish

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #9  
With a mortgage and a truck payment I couldn't afford to buy new. It was hard to find a good used compact in my price range since I was paying cash, but I was patient and eventually ended up with a used grey market Yanmar. Yes, it's almost 30 years old and has at least 1200 hours on it, with the last 250 or so put on by me. I have worked it hard and the problems have been minimal. So far the only part I've replaced other than filters and fluids was a blown o-ring in the hydraulic pump. Cost of repair: 77 cents! I'd buy one again if I decided to get a different tractor. I also have a 1950 Farmall H with unknown hours and it runs strong and has no leaks. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used if the tractor runs good from a cold start and the fluids look good (shows it was maintained). Check the tires as well since tractor tires are quite expensive. If there are parts that need to be replaced, know the cost of those before you make a decision to buy the tractor. It helps as a newbie to take someone knowlegable with you to look.

/ New vs. Used: What's your experience? #10  
I've also bought both. If you are going to go used make sure you know what you are getting before buying. Buying used from someone that you know gives you a little more peace of mind than buying from someone you've never met. Buying used can save you alot of money, but could turn into a big headache also. If you do your homework on whatever you decide to purchase you should be fine.