tym's look like other tractors?

/ tym's look like other tractors? #1  

toddol1971

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson Model 65 gas
I was looking at their home page & checked out their line of stuff. I see kioti, mahindra (iseki), & valtra. What gives. I know there are name brand stuff such as massey that use foreign manufacturers for their cuts, but are there even lesser, lesser brands. For example, Iseki using tym, or visa versa. This brings up another brain canoodle. Is there actually a difference as to which brand tractor you get? Considering lift capacity, hp range, tranny option is all relatively close? I know, dealer support. Well lets say there all sold thru the same dealer for fun:D I cant wait to see were this goes:eek:

/ tym's look like other tractors? #2  
Well, you can buy the same tractor in different paint from more than one dealer.

You can buy a tractor using various, but not all, components from a variety of makers.

It all comes down to the brand name you are buying from and their expressed support and options. If you buy a Farmtrac made in Poland........you are subject to Long Farmtrac's warranty and support for it. You could, if the Long FM had a problem out of warranty, contact the original OEM or supplier for support but at a price. As it should be.

TYM? They are offering a general warranty across all units for useability based upon condition, use, and OEM conditions.

If you're within warantee conditions as stated in the contract as written......you are good. If you're not..............tough titty as you figure out how to pay for it.

If you've got a 2003 model TYM that broke a welder seam weld.....want to complain to their customer care.......you are waisting your time. Warranty is out and who knows what you've done with it.

/ tym's look like other tractors?
well from what i deduct from you is that I wont be buying any sub rated or not so name brand unit for fear they may or may not honor my warr. I'd love to save some money, but some have saved money only to pay the money they saved to fix the unit. I think I'll stick with something else.

/ tym's look like other tractors? #4  
If you have an insider's knowledge of the industry; who builds what, how well they build it, the basic design used and it's weak and strong points....as well as how to get service/parts support if the brand just up and disappears, you can probably do really well with some of the "off-brands".

But I'm not that smart or well informed. A lot of money is being tied up in these things and I'm no gambler; so I'll be sticking with the Big Three and maybe one or two others. That's my best assurance that the tractor will be ready to work when I am. Otherwise I may as well have stuck with my old Fords and saved LOTS of money.

There's another way of looking at it. We vote with our dollars. I'm won't vote for questionable quality, engineering, or support just to get a low price. As long as I have a choice, I'll vote for solid engineering, demonstrated quality and unquestioned support....and pay the price difference willingly. As a former manufacturing engineer, I have a ton of respect for companies and individuals who can reliably deliver these things year in, year out. I would prefer to support them.
FWIW
Bob

/ tym's look like other tractors? #5  
toddol1971, keep in mind that that's his opinion. After seat time on 3 of the big "brand name" tractors, I bought a TYM 273 last year. Looking back, I pat myself on the back every time I sit on it. I absolutely love that machine.

My dealer has been great and I've never had a issue with what little warranty work I had done. I've never heard of a TYM dealer not honoring warranty work. As far as questionable quality, engineering, or support...I'd be hard pressed to believe that the "big 3" have any advantage over my TYM in any of those 3 areas. Maybe 10-20 years ago...but not now.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think JoeinTX statement on the warranty is correct. TYM has a 5 year (3 year parts, last 2 engine and power train) warranty on their tractors. The other companies that TYM build for like Mahindra 10 series is a 3-year engine and power train warranty (1 year parts?).

Roady
37560TYM-273-HST_2_web-med.jpg

Last edited:
   / tym's look like other tractors? #6  
Bob_Young said:
If you have an insider's knowledge of the industry; who builds what, how well they build it, the basic design used and it's weak and strong points....as well as how to get service/parts support if the brand just up and disappears, you can probably do really well with some of the "off-brands".

But I'm not that smart or well informed. A lot of money is being tied up in these things and I'm no gambler; so I'll be sticking with the Big Three and maybe one or two others. That's my best assurance that the tractor will be ready to work when I am. Otherwise I may as well have stuck with my old Fords and saved LOTS of money.

There's another way of looking at it. We vote with our dollars. I'm won't vote for questionable quality, engineering, or support just to get a low price. As long as I have a choice, I'll vote for solid engineering, demonstrated quality and unquestioned support....and pay the price difference willingly. As a former manufacturing engineer, I have a ton of respect for companies and individuals who can reliably deliver these things year in, year out. I would prefer to support them.
FWIW
Bob

You know Bob, that 20 to 30 years ago, Kubota was one of your unknown off brands.

/ tym's look like other tractors? #7  
LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
You know Bob, that 20 to 30 years ago, Kubota was one of your unknown off brands.

Kubota has been building tractors for 100 years. How could they have been an "unknown off brand" 20-30 years ago? :confused:

We owned a 245DT in 1978 (30 years ago) and Kubota was pretty well known when we first bought it.

Last edited:
   / tym's look like other tractors? #8  
Builder said:
Kubota has been building tractors for 100 years. How could they have been an "unknown off brand' 20-30 years ago? :confused:

We owned a 245DT in 1978 (30 years ago) and Kubota was pretty well known when we first bought it.

Gee, Mitsubishi also built the Zero 70 years ago......Now they are building Mahindras....Imagine that....Since someone said they were some sort of engineer, when was the last time John Deere or Massey or New Holland won a Japanese Quality Award?? Check it out...BobG in VA

/ tym's look like other tractors? #9  
Builder said:
Kubota has been building tractors for 100 years. How could they have been an "unknown off brand" 20-30 years ago? :confused:

20 to 30 years ago Kubota was an unknown off brand with a small market share in this country. I am not putting them down, as their progress has been phoenominal. They went from small potatoes in this country to, as far as I know, they are now number 1 in sales in this country.

/ tym's look like other tractors? #10  
LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
they are now number 1 in sales in this country.

Yea... by a huge margin. It would not be too far from the truth to say that Kubota sells as many tractors under 50hp as every other tractor company combined.

Since someone said they were some sort of engineer, when was the last time John Deere or Massey or New Holland won a Japanese Quality Award??
I'd wonder if someone could explain how an Indian company won a Japanese award? It it was for one of their japanese models, wouldn't it be Mitsubishi that won that award? I'm confused.