Sibaura SD2843T

/ Sibaura SD2843T #1  

ed fewlass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM 1700B
how mutch is a Sibaura SD2843T worth the tractor needs a motor has a kubota motor in it now dont work it dont bolt up right I can buy the tractor for 300.00 is it worth fixing also is there any other motors I can sub that will fit

/ Sibaura SD2843T #2  
Unless you're a pretty good mechanic...and you can find a reliable source for parts...I'd pass on this.
The odds are, it's a grey market machine...never (IMHO) a good idea to buy a grey market machine...especially a busted one.

/ Sibaura SD2843T #3  
RoyJackson said:
Unless you're a pretty good mechanic...and you can find a reliable source for parts...I'd pass on this.
The odds are, it's a grey market machine...never (IMHO) a good idea to buy a grey market machine...especially a busted one.

why isn't it a good idea to buy a grey tractor ? J.D. dealer here will work on any yanmar brought in to his shop. Then , you have your independent dealers that will also work on them (if you can get parts) I can get any part ( probably more)for my yanmar tractor that most can get for their 30 year old us machine. Try to find a ROPS for a 30 + year old us tractor. Of course, you have to know which grey's to buy. ALL greys aren't created equal when it comes to parts availabity. I'll put my 30+ year old grey yanmar up against any 30+ year old us mod.

/ Sibaura SD2843T #4  
I believe the JD 790 is a Yanmar design. That being said, what's wrong with owning a grey market Yanmar for considerably less money than one painted green and yellow?

/ Sibaura SD2843T #5  
Read the post...IF you can find parts and are a pretty decent wrenchturner...and if you want to take the very real risk of owning a barn queen...then you make your choice and live with it.

If you know grey markets tractors...you also know there may be no safety interlocks or the PTO might turn in the opposite direction.

As far as Yanmar built Deeres...yep, been a bunch. The deere dealer may or may not be willing to work on them.

It's a matter of risk...if an adult assesses their risk in buying a broken tractor with the thought of fixing it...well, their choice. If it turns out to be a bad choice...tough.

Back in the mid to late 80's, I was into Porsches. I saw a number of exotics that, due to EPA and other federal requirement, could not be legally imported...so they were grey-marketed in. I saw a lot of folks with broken dreams too, because they didn't do their research first.The cars were not registerable....in some cases, confiscated. Mercedes Benz wouldn't allow their dealers to touch a grey market Benz
So...yep, I am vehemently against grey market equipment. Too many unscrupulous folks involved in there importation and sales.

/ Sibaura SD2843T #6  
does a 20-30 year old US mod. tractor have a PTO safety interlock?? No. Does a 20-30 year old US mod. tractor have any safety equipment. I doubt it. If you owned a 20-30 year old US mod. tractor today , You probably couldn't even purchase a ROPS for it & very few parts. (IMHO) Buy the right grey tractor , & you'll have no problems with safety equipment or parts support. Way better parts support than a 20-30 year old US tractor. Of course, we all know that there are very few tractors made in the US ( no CUTS that I'am aware of) these days:(

/ Sibaura SD2843T #7  
kenmac said:
.... Way better parts support than a 20-30 year old US tractor. Of course, we all know that there are very few tractors made in the US ( no CUTS that I'am aware of) these days:(

Man! Are you in for it.....I've got 3 tractors, 2 of which are between 50 and 60 years old, the 3rd is 34 years old (I'm not counting the 2002 Mahindra 6000 at all). All start on the first crank, I can buy EVERY part on them from multiple sources....TODAY....I wouldn't make such far reaching statements as you have in your previous posts....can you spell "FARMALL"? By the way, if you'd like to make a small wager on whether your tractor can outpull ANY of mine, you may name the amount....Have a nice day...BobG in VA

/ Sibaura SD2843T #8  
BobG,I can spell FARMALL. I'am from the SO.Also know folkes that ave them
I don't know what you are talking about ."I'am in for it " No one said anything about out pulling any tractor. Have you tried to buy a ROPS , PTO shield, PTO safety interlock,etc,etc ,.for those old tractors?? I know some dealers that are having a hard time getting (if they can get them at all) some parts for JD tractors.I would love to see all that OSHA approved safety equipment on those 50-60 year old tractorstractors. Especially, that farmall. So, I guess I'am in for it:eek: Won't be the 1 st. time I've been in for it:D. When did mahindra start making tractors ( CUTS)in the US ?? I didn't know a 60 hp tractor was considered a CUT :confused:

Last edited:
   / Sibaura SD2843T #9  
kenmac, the way you come across, you seem to talking down to the rest of us for some reason....I made a statement about getting parts for old US iron...I stand behind that statement. As far as OSHA is concerned, approved or not, don't know what that has to do with plowin'....Sorry, you lost me...BobG in VA

/ Sibaura SD2843T #10  
Actually, it is easier to get parts for some 50+ year old American Iron than it is for some 20 year old CUTS...:rolleyes: