JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ?

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #1  

threeman

Silver Member
Well some of you may remember my troubles with the TN and the dealer. I am convinced this tractor is doomed to be a lemon. One thing after another and for 38k its time to go from here. With that being said I am looking for another brand and both of the above tractors have dealers in the area.

What seems to be the one to go with? I like the operator functions of the Jd 5425 and 5525's. I think they would be a good tractor. What options are a must? I do not want the SL loader because of it being kinda bulky and hinders viewing. I do want 3rd remote on mid mount. Others? Any concerns?

On the Kubota the 7040 seems a bit lite. I have been in the 8540 but really the size scares me off a little. Concerned its a bit too big. My equipment is mostly 7' stuff except for the harrows that are 10' pulls. Really dont use them but 5 times a year so not that big of a deal. What options on the Kubota are a must? Do they offer a 3rd function remote on the mid mount? I do like the one button lift that NH has and JD has. That way you keep your lift settings, flip one button to raise and lower the attachment. Does kubota have this?

40 acre farm, 6 acre remote hay farm, another 20 acres in hay in other farm. mainly up keep on farms, some hay, moving hay, feeding, is main use.

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #2  
We've found that you can make a light tractor heavier, the best part of it is you can add it where it will do the best for the job. You can't take heavy tractor and make it lighter!! The heavier tractor might also need ballast making it more cumbersome to move with the additional weight needed to offset loader.

The three point hitch adjustment on the Kubota is a good unit, simple and basically maintence free! Something a lot of people like over something that might have to be in the shop because of a simple short.

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #3  
The 5X25 series definatelly "more tractor" however that reflects in the price as well. The Deere controls are much nicer then the Kubota's...look around on the Deere forum there has been some real world customers who have recently purchased a 5X25 series Deere that came from Kubota's and they will sing their praises as well...good luck!

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #4  
I was in a similar situation and it was complete and total lack of support from Kubota corporate that drove me to JD. Every brand of tractors will have some sort of issue with a machine sometime. When I've had any issue with Kubota it has been a total nightmare getting anything done. My dealer appears to be the problem but he tells me that his hands are tied by Kubota. I then contact Kubota directly only to find that they are completely and totally unresponsive to consumer complaints. It feels as if Kubota has taken the stance that they have plenty of customers and, if you have a problem, you can just buzz off because they don't care to take the trouble to help you.

I told Kubota time and time again that even though I had a 7040 or 8540 picked out and ready to buy but was hesitant because they wouldn't make any move to help me with their own defective parts on machines I'd already purchased. They made it more than clear that they couldn't possibly care less, so I bought the JD machine. And, fortunately, I couldn't be happier. The JD cab is far larger and much superior to the Kubota cab. I really like the jump seat in my JD cab (not available in Kubota because their cabs are just too small). Imagine that, Kubota corporate drove me directly to JD and I now like JD so well I may never come back to Kubota. I had a small issue with my JD 5425 and the dealer and factory were all over it and went above and beyond the call of duty to take care of me. I couldn't be happier with my choice to buy John Deere over Kubota because of the way Kubota treats customers. Sorry Kubota, but I really don't think you have such a superior machine that you can tell your customers to just go pound sand when they have issues. I'm sure JD and other manufacturers thank you for your attitude. ;)

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #5  
I think the biggest difference between these 2 machines is price. The 2nd biggest difference is HP. The 5525 is over 90HP. The 5425 is over 80HP. The 7040 is only 67HP. So clearly, the 7040 is not really in the same power class as the 5525/5425.

The Deere is probably built a little heavier, but that can be rectified on the Kubota with cast wheels, suitcase weights, filled tires, etc. No japanese machine put side by side with an American machine will be heavier. It's not their way. They build everything with more conciousness about weight savings. If you look up the weights, the 7040 is 6175lbs. The 5425 is 6254lbs. A whopping 79lbs.

I kinda like Kubota's hydraulic self modulating pto clutch engagement over Deere's mecanical engagement and the multi-plate wet clutch over Deere's dry clutch. That way it's cooled by oil and lasts longer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kubota also has a true 8x8 left hand shuttle transmission compaerd to Deere's standard 9x3 without a standard left hand reverser.

I would have to guess you can get a new 7040 for ~$36,000. http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5379086&GUID=A8D9DFDCDA534670A064E5EFE94A5027

I can't imagine touching a 5425/5525 for under $44,000. http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5398988&GUID=A8D9DFDCDA534670A064E5EFE94A5027

If price was no object, I would buy everything made by Deere, but on this small construction company's budget, I would have to take the small shortcomings on the Kubota and pocket the $8,000 savings. Put that in a mutual fund account for 10 year lifespan of the tractor at the average 12% return and you'll have accrued enough interest to buy another new tractor.

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #6  
Interesting replies! A John Deere dealer says buy John Deere-wow I didn't see that one coming. A disgruntled former Kubota owner thinks Kubota has pulled the wool over the rest of us Kubota owner's eyes. I've owned four different Kubota tractors over the last 15 years (still own two). I failed to notice that my dealer and Kubota "made it more than clear that they couldn't possibly care less" and "to just go pound sand" regarding my relationship with them. But I digress!

Threeman asked some legitimate questions and I suspect is looking for some informative answers. Builder appears to have addressed the weight issue. I also agree with his observation that if Kubota has a wet clutch reverser this would be superior to a dry clutch setup. In addition, the Kubota loader has the standard skidsteer quickattach available. Threeman states that he wants the third valve for the loader so I assume he will have multiple attachments for the FEL. A tractor/loader without the skidsteer quickattach would be a deal breaker for me. An $8,000 higher price would also be.

You are no novice to compact tractors. Kubota and John Deere have the largest marketshare when it comes to compact tractors. They earned this marketshare by being responsive to customers wants and needs, and producing high quality equipment. Like all of us they cannot please eveyone all the time. Put together a checklist of postives and negatives for both tractors, factor in a dealer who has a proven track record of satisfying it's customers, and buy the one that makes you feel good.

Good luck!

OrangeGuy

P.S. No response necessay from the two posters I gently picked on. I was once a dealer employee and can understand the desire to promote my product. I have also been disappointed in some products/services I have purchased in the past. Experience has taught me that venting to third parties has rarely produced successful results. Just MHO!

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #7  
ROFL!!!!! If having better support, a more powerful tractor, a nicer and larger cab and paying less for one tractor over another are not legitimate reasons to opt for one brand over another, I honestly have to say that I completely disagree with whatever blind brand loyalty reasoning you may have. I have zero brand loyalty. I buy what serves my needs the best and is the best buy for my money. And, who said that I no longer own any Kubota products; making me a "disgruntled former Kubota owner"?? You missed yet again in your post. And, if sharing facts on how someone was treated by a manufacturer is "venting" in your eyes; sorry for your luck. ;)

And "addressing the weight issue"??? :confused: What weight issue?? That's really funny. That's almost as funny as thinking that JD doesn't have standard skid steer mounting available! Almost as funny as thinking my JD tractor has a dry clutch. You know, spreading misinformation doesn't really do anyone any good. I'd say "nice try" about the post, but it wasn't even really a very good try.

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #8  
I don't know a thing about the JDs but I do know that I'm very happy with my 7040. I have two rear remotes and one front remote. I also have the cast wheel weights. Great machine.

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ? #9  
Yeah I don't know why people get on here and post comments like all JD 5x25 tractors have "mechanical PTO engagement and a dry clutch"...guys if you don't know what you are talking about best to keep your voices down!!

/ JD5025 - Kubota 7040 - ?
Some things I take with a grain of salt, mostly opinions of folks on either side of the issue. Really just trying to figure out if I sould be pursuing one brand more so than the other. Tired of looking and calling.

I like the 8540/9540 tractors by Kubota alot. I have the switch on the NH that you flip to raise and lower your implement and that would be missed if I go Kubota. Other than that I would say probably be good move.

The deere gets all of the gadget awards. I like gadgets. The Ehitch works like a charm, so does the rear fender mount control for the 3pt, I also like a 3rd function remote with switch on the loader control and I havent seen that offered by kubota but maybe the make it.

I have never used either to do anything. Been on some Jd's but not the Kubotas for work that were similar. Another reason for me looking around. The TN I have is 2yrs old, nothing wrong with NH. I have just had it with the dealer and this particular tractor. Just goofy things going wrong and for 36k they shouldnt be. I am at the point where I dont trust the tractor and if something goes wrong I am always telling myself "i knew i should have got xxxx brand of tractor". So with that said I will look around to see what I can get.