JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #1  

lilyflynn

Tractor
Kubota L4630
Hello to all, this is my first TractorByNet post although I've been lurking for awhile. All of this while patiently waiting to close on a small land purchase in Eastern Washington (boy it's tough to get home financing these days). During that time I've been shopping for tractors and have narrowed it down to the JD 3520 and Kubota Grand L3940 both with Hydro/type transmissions and AG tires. I'm a total rookie when it comes to tractors and have a JD and Kubota dealer who have suggested these models. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Kubota as it just seems to better engineered, but I'm still interested in the JD 3520.

My land is 10.5 acres in the Cascade foothills. It sits at 2300 feet and over the four winter months we can get about two to four feet of snow. I have about 2000 feet of gravel road to maintain. I will need to move snow in the winter. I have two dealers with two different opinions, one is pushing an after market snow blower (at $5500.00 with the required sub-frame), the other says all I'll ever need is a blade. Obviously there is a big difference in cost. I like the idea of a blower but would like some feedback from those of you who have used both. Is the blower worth the extra money?

My acreage is about half grass/field and brush and the other space has large pines and aspens. The area around the aspens and pines needs to be brushed out and some thinning of aspens will need to be done. The land has some slope to it in areas but nothing drastic. There is some nice lawn around my house and that will be mowed with a small JD lawn tractor with a 38 finish blade.

So far I'm looking at a FEL, box blade, rake, something to move snow with and some pallet forks. I'm undecided on what to use on brush. One dealer thinks a flail mower is the only way to go because it will clean up just about any area and the finish cut and mulching is much better than the rotary/brush hog. The other prefers the rotary cutter.

At 30K+ for a tractor and a few implements I want to get the best functioning and dependable rig and implements currently available. I plan to "park out" some of the areas around the aspens and if the soil is correct dig a small ス acre pond. I'll also be building a barn, green houses and eventually another house on the property.

So aside from the dealers input I'm looking for some advice from those of you who actually work with these rigs every day and are familiar with either the JD 3520 or Kubota 3940. Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

JB

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #2  
I would go with the rotary cutter, and scraper blade. I'm partial to Kubota, but I'm sure both a good machines. I really like that added benefits of the HST Plus tranny on the Kubota.

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #3  
The hydrostat plus is awesome. I have owned and operated many tractors over the years, this new kubota tranny technology is amazing. I purchased an L 3540 in april, its a dream tractor! Go kubota you will not regret it.

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #4  
I too have a Kubota. If you can swing the additional $$ for the L4240 the loader has more lift capability than the loader with the L3940. I have enjoyed my L4240 with the auto throttle and HST. I have only used a rotary cutter but have been pleased with it. Good luck and enjoy!

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #5  
Both are fine tractors. Typically you get more for your money from Kubota.

If you compare tractors to cars, Kubota is the Toyota of the tractor business in many ways. Great quality, good technology... and the company all the others wish they could be right now.

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #6  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Both are fine tractors. Typically you get more for your money from Kubota.

If you compare tractors to cars, Kubota is the Toyota of the tractor business in many ways. Great quality, good technology... and the company all the others wish they could be right now.

I owned a Kubota Grand L3830 w/BH90 and within 110 hours of medium duty use and the HST failed under warranty, 3PH valve needed replacing, loader control/detente valve froze in winter, 3PH arms would clash with BH frame, and a host of small quality control issues popped up occasionally. Maybe this was an anomaly, but I cannot fully agree with Messick about the Toyota comparison and others trying to be like Kubota. I now own 2 JDs and have found numerous advantages to some of the functions JD have engineered. However, I have also required some warranty work on the JDs as well. A Rockshaft valve was replaced under warranty as well as a faulty sealed gauge cluster that developed condensation. Both machines are fine equipment and I cannot knock either of them. One thing I liked about the Kubota was the BH was smooth as silk, but a PITA to get on and off. The JD 448 BH is fast and powerful, but a bit jerky...it gets a lot of hydraulic flow and requires some getting used to...but wow is it easy to get on and off with the way it attaches and the the 3PH uses pins instead of bolts...a tool-less job. Anyway, no machine is perfect, so dealer support remains to be a primary factor to consider. My JD dealer is simply stellar...I call...they haul...free. The Kubota dealer was far out...I called...they stalled. I respect Messick for his passionate support of the equipment he sells and services...that says something and there is a lot of experience, knowledge, and orientation to his opinion. As a consumer, I have limited experience with both and would consider another Kubota, but am happy and satisfied far more with my JDs. I suggest in your search that you check ergonomics, take the 3PH on/off, test drive, operate loader, read manual, review service requirements, etc. Another consideration...resale value...my Kubota dealer's trade-in value on the tractor they sold me was an insult...my JD dealer will give me top dollar for any type of trade in on my JDs...maybe it's regional...don't know. Whatever you get, enjoy it, be proud, and get to work.

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940?
I know what you mean about response from dealers and to me service and downtime is everything. It's obvious the JD and Kubota brands are good, but the deal breaker for lots of us is how we are treated after we plunk down a wad of cash and buy a tractor. I'm new to the Agricultural industry but have been involved with cars and racing all my life. The guys who get my business are the ones, who respond, return calls and generally bust their butts for the customer. Those who do always seem to have healthy businesses during times like this when the buck is tight. Most of these contacts I've made over the years but first impressions last, especially when you have multiple choices with dealers.

OK, let me get back on track.....thanks for the input so far. I've pushed myself up the horsepower scale since I started looking, but I can see lift capacity and HP to PTO are important. I'll be talking to the JD and Kubota local guys this weekend. Stand by.........

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #8  
lilyflynn said:
I know what you mean about response from dealers and to me service and downtime is everything. It's obvious the JD and Kubota brands are good, but the deal breaker for lots of us is how we are treated after we plunk down a wad of cash and buy a tractor. I'm new to the Agricultural industry but have been involved with cars and racing all my life. The guys who get my business are the ones, who respond, return calls and generally bust their butts for the customer. Those who do always seem to have healthy businesses during times like this when the buck is tight. Most of these contacts I've made over the years but first impressions last, especially when you have multiple choices with dealers.

OK, let me get back on track.....thanks for the input so far. I've pushed myself up the horsepower scale since I started looking, but I can see lift capacity and HP to PTO are important. I'll be talking to the JD and Kubota local guys this weekend. Stand by.........
If you have a Kioti tractor dealer near I would also look real hard at the(41hp) Kioti DK40se.I looked at Kubota 4240,Mahindra 4110 and a few others and ended up buying the Kioti because the FEL would lift more than the other two and I saved $$$.Good luck.coobie.

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #9  
coobie said:
If you have a Kioti tractor dealer near I would also look real hard at the Kioti DK40se.I looked at Kubota 4240,Mahindra 4110 and a few others and ended up buying the Kioti.Good luck.coobie.

You my friend are an Idiot!
The op ask about J.D. or Kubota!
He never mentioned all the other trash out there!

/ JD 3520 or Kubota Grand L3940? #10  
Double Orange said:
You my friend are an Idiot!
The op ask about J.D. or Kubota!
He never mentioned all the other trash out there!
Sorry you feel that way.I was trying to give this person all options.If you think that I don,t like Kubota products check my signature,I own a few.I have a question for you as well,are all other tractors out there besides JD and Kubota Trash?You my friend you are narrowed minded,I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.