Massey Ferguson 1010 and 1020

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 and 1020 #1  

jsbowman

Not much response over on the other forum so I'll ask here.

I am looking to get a compact tractor to maintain a few acres including mowing and food plots. The terrain is a little hilly but not too bad. A MF 1020 hydro in good condition and in my price range is for sale in the area. I have read to stay away from the hydro in the 1010. Is the same true for the 1020? Also, what is a good price for this tractor only? I know the 1010 is a little smaller (13 HP at PTO) but what do you think, is it up to the task of mowing tall grass with a small brush hog and pulling a disc or tiller for food plots? There is also a 1010 manual for sale in the area. Is the 1010 manual a better tractor than the 1020 hydro? I checked out the specs on tractordata, but just don't have much experience with the compacts and the hydro in the older MF. Thanks for the replies.

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 and 1020 #2  
I have had a 1020 Hydro with 60" MMM for over 20 years. It has been an excelent tractor. However, I have had some problems with the hydro unit. Extreme over lugging it soon after I got it. My dad and a brother both have 1020 Hydro's also. They have been flawless for them.
The one huge drawback is, Massey has discontinued parts for the hydro unit. I would suspect that you will have difficulty getting any major parts for 1010 or 1020. Filters and such should not be an issue but if you ever run into anything major it may be a different story.
Check out a Massey dealer and see if he can order up different parts. This might indicate how many items have been discontinued.
If you go for the hydro, definately do not lug them down. Keep your RPM's up and don't crowd it. Always use a lower range to save on the hydro.

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 and 1020 #3  
I am pretty sure the 1010 was made by Hinomoto in Japan. They were bought out many years ago. You would be better off with a Japanese Grey market Yanmar. The US support for them is getting better all the time. You can get parts for some Yanmar models that were made for John Deere easier than for the same US Deere.

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 and 1020 #4  
Kays Supply said:
I am pretty sure the 1010 was made by Hinomoto in Japan. They were bought out many years ago. You would be better off with a Japanese Grey market Yanmar. The US support for them is getting better all the time. You can get parts for some Yanmar models that were made for John Deere easier than for the same US Deere.

I thought Hinimoto/Toyosha went bankrupt??

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 and 1020 #5  
I bought a used 1010 a couple years ago, and have no issues with it. I repaired the radiator, changed all fluids, hoses, belt, and filters, and put it to work.

Stay away from hydro units. I've seen a lot of postings about issues with them. You can get most parts such as hoses, belts, ignition switches, etc. I had a front weight bracket made for mine because the dealer could no longer source that part. You will want weights if you attach something on the 3 pt. hitch. I use a 4 ft. aerator on mine, and add weight to the front when I hook up to it.

You can always have a generator or starter repaired. These are simple basic tractors. Mine has no leaks anywhere and uses no oil that I can see, although I do not use it for anything heavier than pulling a ton of mulch to various plant beds.

These tractors were designed for a 54" belly mower, and my dealer says it will pull a 5 ft. finishing mower with no problem. From what I've seen, I believe him. The PTO is engaged from the clutch pedal, meaning when you press down on the clutch, the driven implement will not be powered. Something to consider if you intend to use the PTO on either model. But it does have an overrunning clutch in the PTO. The 3 pt. is cat 1 with about 1200 lbs of lift at the lift arms on the 1010, not sure of the 1020.

A 1020 is noticeably bigger and heavier, with more power, but the same basic tractor. The ITG manual covers both models. You can order a parts manual and a shop manual from a dealer.

Both models use Toyosha 3 cylinder diesel engines. My understanding is that Hinomoto bought out Toyosha. Isekei now makes small tractors for MF.

Good luck with your decision.