Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres.

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #1  

becca

I need a tractor to cut 5 acres of grass, move snow in the winter, and move dirt. The land has many small hills and it is very windy (lots of snow drifts). Looking at a Kubota 2200 and Kubota 7500. I was quaoted a price of 13,500.00 with end loader and finishing mower. Is this the best price I can get this tractor for? And are these tractors enough for what I need them for?

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #2  
Becca,

It sounds like the BX or 7500 would work for you.

Do you have more than 5 acres? You probably want to take a long term view of what you want the tractor to do. There is a complete line of Kubota all the way up to the L4610. The $1400 rebate on the larger tractors make them very apealing at the moment. A L3010 can be had for a steal of a deal.

Where are you in the country? If you add info to your profile, we could perhaps better answer your questions.

As to the price, check Carver's specials (the add at the top or bottom page). They have a special for the BX with a MMM, FEL, Box Scraper, Tiller, and Aerator for $13,700 (not including shipping).

Locally in VA, the quote I got for a BX220 with FEL and MMM was $12,500.

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #3  
I also considered the BX2200. It is a fine machine. I think the BX2200 will do what you want.

Just for comparison, I got my Power Trac PT425 and all of the following:
PT425 Tractor, it has a sun canopy on the ROPS and FEL lift arms standard.
Small bucket W/teeth
Large light material bucket
60" finish mower
48" brush hog
60" snow blade with power angle and tilt
30" pallet forks
Custom attachment plate for future projects
Loading ramps to get it in my truck
Extra set of blades for finish mower
And I ordered the arm rests as well.

Grand total: $12,591.64 including shipping.

Now, I'm not trying to deter you from the BX. They are different machines and have different strengths and weaknesses. However, it is always better to have many things to compare.

You might also want to look at the JD4100, NH TC21D and maybe a Cub. They are all good machines. Do your research and have fun test driving as many different makes and models as you can. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #4  
I have 6 acres, and I just picked up a new L3010DT 4wd with front end loader, shuttle shift (no hst), and industrial R4 tires for 15,418. I purchased a 72 inch finishing mower to mow the acreage and will be using the loader for landscape purposes. The tractor does a great job with cutting the lawn, and I put 10 hours on it in the first 2 days by moving dirt and mowing the lawn once. This will be plenty of tractor for any need that arises. I am glad I went with something a bit bigger. I got a sweet deal with the 1400 rebate going on right now.

Steve

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #5  
You should look at all the recent threads on this very subject. Your profile is so full of info it is making my brain swell up! Let's see, windy, hilly, cut grass but what kind of grass, clear snow but from what and how much and move dirt but how much and how far and from where and what kind of dirt for what pupose?
Price may need some work, yeah, just get either of those two tractors, I favor the simple and friendly BX for you but I know so much about you. Resist the urge to buy a Kubota L4600, there are lot's of people who mow and plow and move dirt with Sears lawnmowers on more than 5 acres so I imagine you could make do with a lowly BX or 7500 but it will be such a hardship upon you I am sure. J

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #6  
for the same amount of money you could also consider a very versatile, agile, less expensive with more attachments: the power trac 425 model.

i suggest you follow the discussions on this site and do a search to see what has been written about this very rugged machine made in the US.

do not get me wrong we own several kubota products and are very happy with them but for a person who has to mow 5 acres and move dirt & snow around, this can be a very good start.

soon you will want to do other things. for a fraction of the money you pay kubota you will be able to add some forty very useful attachments.
good luck

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #7  
MrP,

I am curious as to who gave you the quote on the BX, since
you seem to be "right up the road" from me.

Thanks!
-Mike Z.

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #8  
MossRoad, Does your machine have a PTO in the rear?

Just Curious, Spence

/ Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #9  
Mike Z,

Jeremy at Byrd tractor in Manassas. Also, John at McMichaels in Warrenton. They were both $12,500.

However, unless I can sell my L3410, I won't be buying anything.

Another shamless plug: Intersted in buying a used L3410? I could save you a couple dollars over new? My tractor is HST, 4WD, with less than 170 hours, R4 tires, folding ROPS, front weights, mowing deck, spreader, PHD 9" & 12", carry all, and sub-soiler. E-mail me and come test drive, maybe we can work a deal.

Thanks,
Mike P.

Attachments

• 46-139735-L341010Oclock.jpg
    46-139735-L341010Oclock.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 350
   / Need Help Picking a tractor for 5 acres. #10  
No rear PTO. All of the attachments are out front where you can see them and are powered by hydraulics. If you're interested, go to the "other brands" forum here on TBN and look at the posts regarding Power Trac.