Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE?

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #1  

revdoggy

I have searched all over this site - great advice, but I would like some more info.

Just purchased 15 acres - nothing on the land but a steel barn. About 8 acres are mowable, which are 4 months over grown. There are some steep hills on the property - but don't necessarily have to be mowed. I will not build on this property for 7 years.

I am interested in these 3 tractors with implements

1) BX 2350 - mmm and 4' hog $11099 23hp
2) BX 2660 - mmm 4' hog 13025 25hp
3) JD 2305 - mmm 4' hog 12797 24hp

Have not wheeled and dealed with any of them yet, if possible??? I am concerned about hp and weight or should I be? Do I need both mowers.

OR should I just get a pull behind hog for the quad? Any advice would be great. I also don't know kubota (name) vs. deere (name) if one is better than other.

John

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #2  
Others can probably comment on HP and bushhog size. I just mow my 2 acres of cleared yard and move rocks and dirt with the FEL and BH on my BX24 so I'm not the expert on managing 8 out of 15 acres.

What I can say is the Deere and Kubota both make good tractors these days. The best one for you is the one that has the best and closest dealer to you.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #3  
I think that I might skip the mmm, and use that money to buy the next larger tractor, and bush hog. Eight acres is really quite a bit to mow with a sub cut. Any 4' mower will take some time, probably as many hours as acres, but the slightly larger tractor will handle the mower better, ride better, and feel more stable while doing it. The money will be roughly the same........ Good luck with your choice! I have a B2620, and don't feel that size tractor is any too big for a 4' RC.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #4  
I have a 60 inch swisher tow behind finish mower and it boggs VERY easily (read--6-7 inches). I have not used their brush version but feel that if I had to put my money in one or the other, it would be in a tractor mounted implement.
There has been much discussion here lately that a flail mower is the best of both rough and finish worlds.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #5  
If you can afford it, go with a 6 foot brush hog and a little larger tractor. If you can't, you can't and that is fine. However, it is rare for someone to say I wish I had bought a smaller tractor. However, several of us have said I wish I would have bought a larger tractor.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #6  
I used to weekly mow 4 acres with a JD755 and 60"mmm - and it took me about an hour (and one good cigar). If I remember correctly, that machine was about 20hp(?), but if I was going to use a bush hog, a few more hp would have been a big help.

This year I spent a lot of time looking into both the BX24 and JD2305, but then went with a Massey Ferguson 2310TLB, which I really like a lot. I don't have a mmm, but do have both a PTO chipper and a 54" rear mount snowblower.

I'm really impressed with what these little tractors can do - and am sure that you will be happy with whatever you decide, but with that much property to mow a larger mower would be on my list.

Good luck.

Jay

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #7  
For use on 15 acres, I think the end result will be frustration because the purchase is too small? Your choice of manufactures is fine, but for a little additional money, and much greater productivity, I would go for at least a B-series, or a small economy L-series Kubota if the budget is an issue? JD makes a 790, that is a basic no frills tractor at a fair price also. They have many models to compete with the Kubotas. To make projects fun, to me , requires the right tool for the job. You will find on this site very few ever trade-down in size or hp?

If you plan on developing the property in the future, with a larger tractor now, there is many things one can do in advance, with the proper implements too. You will enjoy working on your land also.

If you decide to go larger, and challenge those hills, I would recommend R-4 tires for safety, which provide better traction, and the rear tires have adjustable widths that reduce the "pucker factor on the slopes!"

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #8  
I think the tractors you are considering are all too small. I am using a 42" brush hog on just 1.3 acres or so when it gets overgrown and very tall grass takes awhile to cut. You don't want to go too fast because otherwise you won't be able to see any objects/hazards that could be in it. It is not the same as mowing a manicured lawn time-wise. I would skip the MMM for now, which gives you extra $ for a larger tractor and brush hog. You won't need the MMM until you actually have a house and a lawn. Have you looked into other brands where you might be able to get more tractor for the buck? Many members of this forum are using Kioti or Mahindra and seem very happy with their tractors. The new Cub Cadet/Yanmar seems like a good buy right now as well. I know Mahindra is offering 0% financing for up to 60 months on some models. Of course a decent used tractor could also get you more bang for you buck.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #9  
Will there be any other use made of the tractor other than mowing in the next seven years?:D

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #10  
revdoggy,

Go BIG or you will regret it not to mention the dollars you will lose when you trade up later. If budget is an issue, "used" is always an option or you can look at a Kioti or a Mahindra IF you have a good Dealer that will work with you.

Good Luck Tractor Hunting

Vic