Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #11  
Yep,
40hp with R1's. Gramps always said "If it's got tires, tracks, or hoofs it will get stuck".

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 156
   / Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #12  
Brokermike said:
Essentially the sub-compact just doesn't have the ground clearance to drive in the woods on my land.
What's it getting caught up on?

Brokermike said:
The GC is great around the house for moving mulch and digging drainage ditches and the small size allows me to sneak under trees etc. However I'm at the point where I need to resolve the woods issue
What are all the issues?

Brokermike said:
My land has some swampy areas that I'll be trying to navigate (MY GC gets stuck immediately) and I have no idea which would handle that best, nor do I know if I'd use the dozer enough to justify the maintenance and cost. Has anyone been in this spot before?

Any thoughts

Several options:
Go around the swampy area.
Drain the swampy area.
Build a road through the swampy area.
Improve the floatation of your tractor.

What's do you think a dozer is going to do for you? Just curious.

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #13  
Kyle_in_Tex said:
I agree. You'll always have to use your better(learned) judgement around marshy areas. My 32Hp 4WD with R4's gets stuck in a heartbeat in the mud. Usually I can inch worm my way out with the FEL. Sometimes not.:mad:

Yep.. the stuck-est I've ever been was in a 32hp compact diesel with 4wd, crossing a 'dry' lake bed.. turns out 1/4" crust on top was dry.. but the 3' of muck underneath it was nice and sticky..

soundguy

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #14  
When I first came here, this was all swamp.

Everyone said I was daft to drive a tractor in a swamp, but I drove in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp.

So I bought a second one. That sank into the swamp.

So I drove in a third. That burned down, fell over on its side, THEN sank into the swamp.

But the fourth tractor stayed up!! And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest Kubota in all of England!

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #15  
barneyrb said:
Yep,
40hp with R1's. Gramps always said "If it's got tires, tracks, or hoofs it will get stuck".
I've heard that sayin' around here before...however the third part of saying isn't hoofs. Your granddad was being nice. plowking

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #16  
plowking said:
I've heard that sayin' around here before...however the third part of saying isn't hoofs. Your granddad was being nice. plowking

I think you might be thinking of the similar saying.. IE.. tires, tracks, ti.. (you know) , it's gonna give you trouble.. etc.

soundguy

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #17  
Doesnt have to be swampy. Here in GA and I am sure in other parts, you can get stuck very very quickly if not careful on a sandhill. I know what your thinking but I have heard if before from my dad but recently saw it for my eyes as well. A cat d8 pushing debree on a sandhill after cutting timber. I mean white sugar sand hill. Abou 1 to 1.5' of sand then some bad ***** gumbo under neath. That dozer was sunk. I really dont know how they got it out. I heard another 330 excavator and d8 came in to help.

When it gets wet you have to watch your attachment very well. The tractor most of the time slips a little and will keep going, but once the implement slides and starts intot he mud it will stick the tractor in about 1 turn of the tires. Or at least before you can get the lift arms back up.

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #18  
If you get suck with a small tractor with low ground pressure what will getting a heavier machine with higher ground pressure do. I live in deep south Mississippi you are either in beach sand, swamp or heavy forest "Fluff"( which is by far the worst). I have a 40hp 4wd. I have access thru my Brother-in-law next door to small bulldozers, track hoes, large bulldozers, tracked skid steer and many other types of equipment. He has been trying to clear a piece of land between us for some time, everything getting stuck. I took the chain saw and my tractor, heavy duty bush hog and 3pt skidding grapple and a hyd winch. I was able to clear more efficiently with my stuff than with the rest of the equipment combined.

Did I get stuck....yep lots it is just part of the job, just not a fun part. Pulling cable in 90+ temps and 90-100% humidity is no fun!!

We have found best was not to get stuck is not to spin the tires if you spin you dig if you dig you get stuck. We load the tires and do the work, if you spin STOP the tires. The usual thought is it is almost moving a little more spin and lock the diff and I can pull out, not usually true. You must Lighten the load or push from a different direction change some thing .... after you get the tractor out of the spin ruts.

Have fun and remember our local saying

"we spend most of our day stuck or waiting to get stuck again" or "if you ain't getting stuck, you ain't working"

Jeff

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #19  
As tough as these machines can be, the GC2310 is designed to be an "estate" tractor. Its niche is the ability to do heavy yard work, while leaving a light foot print.

While you can expect a lot from one of these tractors, if you a disappointed, you probably took a knife, to a gun fight.

/ Thoughts on adaptability of sub-compacts #20  
smitty9266 said:
If you get suck with a small tractor with low ground pressure what will getting a heavier machine with higher ground pressure do. Jeff

You make many assumptions.. Like, 1, that a heavier machine has higher ground pressure. I can tell you that a tractor with some big rear duals, and balloon fronts can have less gp than a lighter tractor with narrow ags or rice tires in the rear and 1-2-3 rib implement fronts...

I have a d4lgp dozer setting on my lot that weights more than the d5 next to it.. but is les GP than the d5, due to it's footprint.

Tire height / clearance can play a roll as well. I've driven thru muck that was nearly 1' deep and got a compact stuck due the front axles and spindles bulldozing, plus 0-clearance up front and dragging. In came a 2.5x heavier tractor that went right thru, as the front tires were taller and cut thru the muck to the hardpan underneath, without the spindles plowing a trench.. because they had more clearance... this also helped for clearance under the tractor so that it did not become high centered liek the other one did. First tractor wasn't mine.. but I was 'assured' it would drive thru the pasture where I was helping a friend work... yeah right!

soundguy