Need help deciding

/ Need help deciding #1  

mikeydchicago34

Ok here is my issue. I have a set amount to spend on a tractor 20k. I have 50 acres, which will be pasture and 10 acres of cultivation for wildlife. My land has a gentle grade of about 15 degrees slope from front to back.

I can purchase a new JD 5203 2wd and FEL for about 19500

Or a used NH TN60a 4wd with 700hrs on it with FEL for about 19500 also.

What are your thoughts?

I will be cutting hay and pulling a baler with the tractor.

Thanks all.

/ Need help deciding
Thanks for mentioning that. I also have found a 2005 Kubota M4800 4WD w/ FEL with 170 hours on it. The guy is asking 18.9K for it seems kinda high but i have no idea what the true value should be

/ Need help deciding
A local dealer has a kubota M6800 4wd w/ FEL 700hrs for $18.5k. Thoughts on this value?

/ Need help deciding #4  
mikeydchicago34 said:
I can purchase a used NH TN60a 4wd with 700hrs on it with FEL for about 19500
I found a 2005 Kubota M4800 4WD w/ FEL with 170 hours on it for 18.9K which seems kinda high.
What are your thoughts?
~~~~~~~~~My thought is
Why do you feel the Kubota is priced high compared to the NH ?

Last edited:
   / Need help deciding #5  
mikeydchicago34 said:
Ok here is my issue. I have a set amount to spend on a tractor 20k. I have 50 acres, which will be pasture and 10 acres of cultivation for wildlife. My land has a gentle grade of about 15 degrees slope from front to back.

I can purchase a new JD 5203 2wd and FEL for about 19500

Or a used NH TN60a 4wd with 700hrs on it with FEL for about 19500 also.

What are your thoughts?

I will be cutting hay and pulling a baler with the tractor.

Thanks all.
Look at the Kioti Dk45se.You might be able to buy a new 2008 with FEL for around $19,000-$20,000.coobie

/ Need help deciding #6  
If you are thinking a 2wd will work for you (which it probably will) check out the Mahindra 6025 and you will save some money to get some implements.

/ Need help deciding #7  
Hi,Mikey. What do the other farmers in your area use for tractors for their balers? Go with your instincts and don't get swayed. I run a M/F machine but in your geographic area maybe a different brand and dealer support for thoses brands be better. I got my machine because dealer was close, had good parts availabilty and they have Sat. and Sun. hours and free loaner if your tractor is down. Sometimes you can get a demo to try if you aren't sure what to get. Do your fields get wet and muddy that require fwd or is ground firm, of course you wouldn't hay when it's wet but fwd wil also help with traction handling,braking of machine. Are you looking for HST or a gear tractor? plowking

/ Need help deciding #8  
Well Mikey, as you can see, you get as many opinions as answers. And it's obvious that everyone, so far, thinks their tractor brand is best. I'm not ashamed to say that I really like the NH's. But that's just my preference. (you know what they say about opinions) :D

Plowking gave you the best advice. You have to determine HOW MUCH tractor you need first. Try to think as far ahead as possible and find out what the HP requirements are for the equipment you plan to use.
JMHO, but if you are planning to actually use the loader, FWD is almost mandatory. A 2WD tractor with a heavy load on the front is "crippled" at best, and could be downright dangerous. If you've ever operated both, you understand.
As I read in another thread here, nobody ever complains that they bought "too much" tractor the first time.

/ Need help deciding #9  
Hello
My opinion. I would keep searching. I agonized over tractors for 6 months (no kidding) I still have every single brochure I could find and studied closely each aspect. My take on it is this. You can buy a JD, Kubota, NH, MF etc.. and get great quality and most definately some wonderful resale value especially JD. But I have got to tell ya dollar for dollar you can't beat a Mahindra, Kioti or Branson. They are as good as any you will find but just cost a little less. In my neck of the woods I can buy a Mahindra 4110 FEL 4x4shuttle/shift, brand new, 3 year warranty limited, one year everything, for 21000.00 out the door. A comparably priced Kubota would mean you would have to give up 10 hp, 700 ish pounds, wheel base, and width. Give those a look and I promise you will be glad you did. If for nothing else but the added knowledge of whats available. I also discovered another very important aspect which I didn't consider until about halfway into my journey and that was How I flet when I was on the tractor. I am not a tall person and I can tell ya that some the tractors I tested I felt like my knees were going to scrape my ears. When taking the time to test one out take the extr time to adjust everything seat, steering wheel, use the loader as if you are loading an imaginary truck - time the hyd. cycle time, does working the bucket lever hurt you shoulder etc...... Take as much time as you can and enjoy it.
Regards Jason

/ Need help deciding #10  
Very true about opinions and I'll tell you right up front I'm biased toward green. However that doesn't mean when I purchased I didn't look at the others. What's been said is very true all brands if maintained will perform very well. And that's the key "well maintained". Your needs are very similiar to mine and as my byline states I went with the 5103. IMO the first thing for you to decide is what you intend on doing with your 50 acres. If for now you are just going to use a rotary cutter for maintaining your property you might consider the JD5103 w/FEL and a 6 or 7 ft. rotary cutter and you can keep that all under your budget of $20K. Even at 40PTO HP you will have enough power for most of anything you will want to do. I've even found large round balers (4x4,4x5 and one 5x6) that can be run on that HP.

Good luck.