Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #1  

jswan

Hello, It has been a couple of years since my last post. I still have not pulled the trigger on a tractor purchase. I was initially looking at deere 5000 series.
I should give some background. I have 80 acres, crp trees and some old timber, creek to cross.
I have now been contemplating a smaller tractor, hopefully more affordable. Deere 4000, kubota ( I now own a zd28 mower and rtv), and cnh. Got a quote out of the blue in the mail the other day from the case dealer. Cab farmall 45, loader, 4x4 hydro for 31K financed, 29K cash. I thought this sounded like a fair price but thought I would run it by the experts. I also am a little scared of the cab. These small tractors with big cabs look like you could push them over. I did tip the rtv on its side once pulling an acreease mower in the pasture. I'm also not sure if a cab is a good idea in the woods.
The green tractors seem significantly more expensive. Thanks.

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #2  
Anything that raises the center of gravity would increase the tendency of a tractor to roll over. Without question, the cab raises the c.g, so the simple answer to your question is YES. That being said, the amount that the c.g. is raised varies a lot with different manufactures and models, and with the majority , I doubt the increase in c.g height is significant. For me, bigger strikes against the cab would start out with cost, and a close second would be extra power required to run the AC (usually there is not much of that to spare on a CUT). Other concerns are the inability to access many areas due to height restrictions. Of course there are advantages, but I wouldnt be so quick to count staying cool as one of them, because a good canopy is nearly as effective under the hot sun as an AC cab. You will always be in the shade, and always have a breeze on you equal or above the tractor's ground speed. And the canopy keeps you cool without costing you thousands, robbing any power, or increasing the tendency to roll. Many who have forked over big bucks for cabs will hop on here and say you are crazy to not get one, and they would never own another tractor without one. I doubt many of them have much experience a with good canopy. A canopy will not keep you warm in the winter time, provide sound insulation, or make an effective defense against bugs, so you will have to weigh the importance of those often cited features, against the negatives I have explained.

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #3  
Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover
I would say no, they're not.

Maybe a tiny smidgen more than without cab.
After all, there is a little weight up top, but very little.

Do you feel claustrophobic in the cab ?

Maybe a set of duals on the rear would help ?

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover
Thanks for the input. The cab weight is approx. 1000 lbs according to the spec sheet.

dx45 rops 3522 lbs
dx45 cab 4491 lbs

I just wondered if you add 25% of the weight above the wheels if it would be unstable.

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #5  
Hi. I just bought a Kioti DK45S with the cab and I must say that it is very stable. It is a fairly large tractor but I have it running with a loader and backhoe and it is solid. I operate mainly on hilly, woodsy terrain and so far I have been very pleased. Prior to buying the Kioti, I had the opportunity to use a Terramite for a few days of digging work. It did not have a cab but it was very unstable. Just pulling out to fast would cause the front end to lift up. It was like driving a teeter-totter. :eek: When I bought the BH for this tractor I was afraid that it would be the same. Not even close! Very stable to say the least. Best of luck with your decision.

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #6  
Thanks for the input. The cab weight is approx. 1000 lbs according to the spec sheet.

dx45 rops 3522 lbs
dx45 cab 4491 lbs

I just wondered if you add 25% of the weight above the wheels if it would be unstable.

It doesn't really work quite that way. The cab is mounted to the top of the axle and that would be the pivot point under most all conditions. The top of many of the cabs only hold air as the conditioning units are mounted low on the tractor. I'd be more concerned over damage from limbs to the cab in the woods.

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #7  
1st, I'd say there isn't an across the board answer. There'll be variations in design from model to model, brand to brand. I DON'T know the answer(s) strictly as they pertain to compacts, however, I've seen some information as to how cabs effect larger tractors and roll-over tendencies. In the instances mentioned in the literature I saw, cabs didn't actually effect the center of gravity by any significant amount. The additional weight is often carried low in the cab. Most tractors built today, ESPECIALLY compacts, tend to be low profile models rather than "old school" farm tractors with lots of built in crop clearance. Long and short, they aren't nearly as "tippy" as they appear.

With the "call my lawyer/It's YOUR responsibility to protect ME from MYSELF" attitude of todays society, manufacturers have an eye towards saftey and accident prevention that would preclude any top-heavy, tippy cabbed models from ever hitting the show room floor. If they weren't safe beyond reasonable standards, you probably couldn't buy it.

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #8  
On CUT and SCUT tractors, a cab raises the CG. Based on a quick model I created of the Kubota BX2350, a cab increases the CG by about 5", which I would classify as a significant change.

As base tractor weight increases, the effect of the cab will decrease. Again using rough model numbers, a cab will increase the CG approximately 50% of percent of total weight the cab represents. Example:

1. Tractor weighs 4000lb
2. Cab weighs 1000lb
3. Cab is 20% of total vehicle weight, so cab increases CG approximately 10%. If CG was 26" before cab, it will increase to 28.6"

My calculations make many assumptions to get to a quick number. The best way (as is the case 99% of the time) is to have a cab and non cab vehicle and measure CG.

IowaAndy

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover #9  
With the "call my lawyer/It's YOUR responsibility to protect ME from MYSELF" attitude of todays society, manufacturers have an eye towards saftey and accident prevention that would preclude any top-heavy, tippy cabbed models from ever hitting the show room floor. If they weren't safe beyond reasonable standards, you probably couldn't buy it.

This is very well put! :cool:

/ Are CUT cab tractors more prone to rollover
This is all very good information.
How do you calculate the cg?