Do you have a shop wood stove?

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #1  

keving

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 7040HDC
The situation
I need to heat my shop which is about 2200 sq feet with 14 foot high ceilings. The shop is well insulated. I have enough wood on my property to burn for my lifetime. I'm looking for a stove that I can load up and let it go all day.

Some questions:

1. What stove are you using?

2. Would you buy it again? Costs?

3. Any issues, suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #2  
I have a United States Stove Co. furnace, it's the second one I've had. It has 2 - 8" round duct outlets in the top that you can add 90 degree ducts to and direct it to blow where you want heat. The prices have went up more than double since I bought mine, I think they sell for around $1250 now. They will burn coal or wood, have a shaker grate and a removable ash pan. It would heat your shop with ease. They are sold by TSC in this area.

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #3  
I have a Fisher in the house. It's an airtight you can load it up and go. It'll burn about 10 - 12 hours. I burn it like a fireplace during the day, load it at night. If you keep them loaded and choked down all the time you'll have some serious creosote build up in your chimney. This stove will heat the whole house easily.

M.D.

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #4  
The situation
I need to heat my shop which is about 2200 sq feet with 14 foot high ceilings. The shop is well insulated. I have enough wood on my property to burn for my lifetime. I'm looking for a stove that I can load up and let it go all day.

Some questions:

Thanks!

Hi Kev,

I too have a 2400 sq.ft workshop heated with an old wood stove. This was already on the property when I bought it three years ago.

In my shop setup (like yours well insulated and 16ft high)the old woodstove is connceted to the original oil space heater, by ducting. The oil burner is disconnected and just the larg circulating fan runs when switched on. The top of the stove has an outer ductwork added, which circulates the air around the stove to capture the heat and the directs it out of the heater. Above the two heaters suspended from the roof, is a large, variable speed, overhead fan. This gets switched when the stove is fired up and circulates air all around the shop.

I live in the middle of BC and in the wiinter the temps drop to -35C or -30F. When it is -20C/-4F I can run the stove and it will keep the temperature at around 45F. The stove uses a lot of wood but does do the job of keeping the workshop at a temperature that can be worked in comfortably. I am sorry I can't offer advice on make or model - they stopped making my wood stove years (20+) ago.

Anyway,yes the setup workswell and with the new modern stoves, I am sure you will find an ideal unit to fit your needs.

HTH

J.

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #5  
I have a 30x40 shop with 10' ceiling and no insulation in the attic. Only the walls are insulated. I use an Ashley woodburning stove United States Stove Company similar to this one. Mine is an older model though. With a temperature in the 40's inside the shop I can build a fire in the stove and within 1 to 1 1/2 hours have the temperature in the upper 70's. I have been meaning to insulate the attic, as I only have 1/4 OSB on the ceiling and the heat goes right through it. This stove works really well in heating this building.

Northern tool also has one that's a little cheaper Vogelzang Heartwood Wood-Burning Heater, Model# VG820E | Wood | Northern Tool + Equipment and would probably do just as good a job as the Ashley.

You can buy a heat reclaimer to go in the pipe Magic Heat Reclaimer for Wood, Oil or Coal Stove 6 in., Model# MH-6-R | Stoves | Northern Tool + Equipment to catch any heat going up the chimney and blow it out into the room. I've been meaning to purchase one, but haven't.

My parents use an Ashley to heat their house 1600 sq. feet and you will sweat with it on low. I usually wear a t-shirt to their house in the winter.

Chris

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #6  
1. We are using a Pacific Energy Vista Classic woodstove. Its 'rated' for 1500 square feet, but we can keep our 3000 sq-ft ranch warm enough that the furnace won't kick in until about 5am on a sub-zero night. The benefits of having shagbarks all over the property for burning!

2. I highly recommend steel stoves for garage applications. Less expensive, and you aren't after decorative units, just HEAT!!

3. The main reason I won't use a woodstove in any of my shops / garages relates to the open flame issue for painting / working with gas. A gas furnace can warm everything up, and then be turned off completely (no pilot light) for painting, etc... A wood stove would require dousing the flames.

Also, there is a time factor for me. I'd rather turn up the shop furnace, and be able to work within 15 minutes. In the evenings after work, and dinner, I don't get a lot of time for tractor projects...

My 2 cents!

IowaAndy

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #7  
I use a Kerr wood furnace. My shop is 42 x42 x 12 with a full second floor (3500 sq' +).

I have minimal insulation on the second floor (foil bubble wrap R-12) and am adding R-19 to the floor joists. The Kerr works good, my father has one, sister has one, neighbor etc... etc....

Simple yet useful. http://www.kerrheating.com/products/Wood.PDF

Found this one used for $400?

With little insulation it has a hard time heating and I need to hook up the fan so it will push the air around.

Good luck.

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #8  
Keving,

My dad, who lives next door bought a used Fisher for his garage. I see that you are near the VA/WV area, so our climate is similar. It takes about 1 hour to get the 24x30 garage heated to about 50 degrees when the outside temp. is 20 degrees. Like the others have said, we move everything flamable (ATV and gas operated equipment )out of the garage in the winter. I do howver, park my diesel tractor on the other side of the garage when temps drop down and snow if on the way.

We got the stove used for $250. We also have a portable propane heater to knock of the chill early in the AM before the stove has a chance to warm the garage.

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #9  
Taking the considerations about the open flame (even enclosed in a stove, it is atmospherically "open") into account, maybe you should look at one of the outside woodburners. Many of them have a 24 hour burn time per loading and your flame would be away from possible catastrophe making making materials in the shop.

/ Do you have a shop wood stove? #10  
The situation

Some questions:

Thanks!

1)im useing a german knockoff one. bought at an estate sale.
2) perhaps, its not the best but better than my harbor freight one.

my uncle has a vermont castings thats nice for his large 30x30x10' celing shop. heats it nicely if he ever burns enough wood in it.

he owns 2 one for the garage and one for the house. My dad has a smaller resolute but hardly ever burns it in the house.