Which Pressure Washer

/ Which Pressure Washer #1  

Frosty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST; Kubota KX040
Which is a good pressure washer to purchase? Is 1200 - 1500 psi sufficient for engine cleaning or is a 2000 - 3000 psi preferred? Do you prefer a gas or electric driven pump?

/ Which Pressure Washer #2  
Frosty

I have a 1500psi cheapy $200 4hp pressure washer. I have had it for several years with no problems. 1500 psi is much more pressure than you might think it is. It has done everything I have asked of it. When it quits I will throw it away and get another providing it isn't something I can't fix cheaply. I don't think you could repair a "good" (expensive) washer for what you can get a new cheapy for.

Get a cheapy and spend the other $600-$800 on something else.

Just for reference I have a friend who owns a self service car wash. He has it set at 1100 psi. That is more than enough to clean epuipment. Be sure you soap it down first.

/ Which Pressure Washer #3  
Craftsman 2500 PSI, 2.5 GPH, 6.75 HP on sale this month. I've had electric washers before, between 1100 and 1500 PSI, and I don't think I'd go back to electric. You can do alot with a small electric, but the gas model, in my humble opinion, is much more versatile. And, the extra pressure comes in handy at times. With a gas model, you can regulate the pressure with the throttle.

/ Which Pressure Washer #4  
Frosty,

I agree with CSAW get an inexpensive one 1500/2GPM range gas model. The GPM is the key, as they all can build pressure at a low flow. As you will see the higher price the higher flow for same pressure.

If you're doing commercial work then get a bigger (more $) one. Electrics are OK for occasional use, but I don't like the idea of an electric cord connection nearby while spraying water.

Carl

/ Which Pressure Washer #5  
Wow! - this is strange - I just got a pressure washer in the other day and thought about posting about it on TBN but thought "Aw - who'd care about pressure washer stuff..."

Anyway, the one I got is a lot smaller than the ones the other guys have been advocating - 2HP electric, 1300 PSI, 1.7 GPM. I'm sure that the bigger gas ones are a lot more flexible, but I have to admit, I'm totally happy with mine so far. I got it for "occasional use" stuff - if I was going to be using it for my business or all the time, I'd probably go with a gas one too.

Anyway, I got mine for $80 from Harbor Freight. Based on what I've done so far, I think it was a good purchase based on my needs.

/ Which Pressure Washer #6  
I had an electric Craftsman once.. The neighbor borrowed it to clean his deck and then asked me if it was supposed to smoke. DUH... It was going to cost more to replace the motor than buy a new one.. So I bought a Craftsman with a Briggs engine.... The hose started to bulge and after several calls got a little upset and took it back to the store. (I kept the original box in the attic) Told the guy what happened and he said he never heard of that happening. That I must have abused it. We walked over to one on display and someone had replaced the hose on the display model with a hose doing the same thing mine did. So, case closed. I got my money back. Then the following spring I went back to Sears and got a 2400 PSI with a 5.5 hp Honda engine. Haven't had any problems with that one. Works fine, has a throttle that somewhat controls the pressure and is real quiet. Only draw back is the gas tank is a little small.

Be careful using the power washer on your equipmnt. Bearings and things like that don't need all that high pressure. And, definately be carefull around the radiator. Bent fins just don't like it. Kind of like combing a cat's hair backwards..

And decals, I blew one of the 4's off the 4x4 decal on my Polaris ATV.

But if you adjust the nozzle to a mist (kind of fanned) spray it will work fine for you.

Gotta make the toys look nice. I usually blow the grass and stuff off the mowing deck with compressed air.

Tom

/ Which Pressure Washer #7  
Just one caveat on the higher GPM units. Make sure your system can offer that many gallons per minute. I have a 2100psi 3.5gpm cheapie I picked up at Costco. Love the unit when using it at the main house where the shallow well pump in the basement cistern can keep up with it. But up the hill at the cottage the well can only produce 2.5gpm. Being starved for water, the washer simply squirts a gentle spray up there.

Rather than assuming I have the only poor water supply on the planet, figured I'd throw that one out there!

Pete

/ Which Pressure Washer #8  
<font color=blue>"...Be careful using the power washer on your equipmnt. Bearings and things like that don't need all that high pressure. And, definately be carefull around the radiator."</font color=blue>

Also, be careful around the paint job on your tractor, truck, car, whatever. Get too close with the jet spray at full throttle and you'll see some of that paint disappear quicklike and the metal pitting.

/ Which Pressure Washer #9  
Pete, precisely why I kept my pressure washer to a 3gpm model. I did'nt want to end up with too little input to keep up with the output.
Jerry

/ Which Pressure Washer #10  
I have a Sears pressure washer with a 6.5 hp Tecumseh motor. I do not like the Tecumseh motor. It is hard starting and does not have a choke, it has a red plastic bulb that you squeeze but it does not work. If you get a pressure washer get one with a Honda motor, you will be a lot happier!