Advise NEEDED!

/ Advise NEEDED! #11  
I don't think the 400 series attachments and the 1430 series attachments are interchangeable. They might look similar, but the bigger models have bigger attachments, quick attach plates and bigger hydraulic motors, according to someone that I talked to at Power Trac.

Glad you're deciding to make a good decision. Too many people jump into these things, only to be disappointed. By doing lots of research and test driving, I knew exactly what the machine would and would not do and what to expect when the machine arrived. Now I am very happy with my decision.

/ Advise NEEDED! #12  
Nater, i'm a current PT422 owner and a former Simplicity Legacy owner. In comparing these two i would say Simplicitys strong points are its comfort and its cut. While PTs are its quick attach system, strength and versatility. My biggest gripe with the legacy would be changing out the mower deck for the 60" blade each season. Not as simple as it should be. My biggest gripe with the PT422 so far would be that it doesn't handle my hills as well as my Legacy did. Both are small gripes in my book. For the money, PT is definitely the better value.

/ Advise NEEDED! #13  
Nater, good questions! First and most what are you going to do with the tractor? For me it was a lawn mower first with snow cleaning seconds. But I needed something simple for my wife. I to have looked at Kubotas, JD, NH, Cubs, and many others.
One big point is the smaller tractors are better mowers, weight is one reason. Another is how is your yard, lots of turns, trees to go around, mid or front mount mower is a better option.
How often are you going to take your loader off? Is your wife going to do it every now and then?
How much can you spend?

I like the PT because of the above, my wife can change over attachments quickly and easily.
For the size of land you have the 400's should be the right size for you!
Best of luck!
KCook

/ Advise NEEDED! #14  
Nate,

I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs (11 shoe), so I'm similar in size. In addition, I had back surgery in December, so I'm pretty sensitive to ride.

I've had my BX2200 now for about a month, and have about 15 hours on it. I've actually found it to be pretty comfortable. I did bend the seat stop to allow for a little extra travel, but I don't really think that was necessary. The dual rocker pedal took a bit of getting used to, but you can hang your food off the pedal to the right (so it's on the deck) and then just press on the top (you'll only go forward, obviously). This can take some of the fatigue out of extended outings. I've had no problems getting on and off.

I've already done some pretty substantial moving with the FEL. It's very strong, and does an excellent job in moving material (I was digging wet clay and could fill the bucket---lifted it just fine). I haven't received my toothbar from Carver's yet (it's been several weeks---the first order didn't get "placed" correctly), but that'll help with using the FEL to dig virgin soil. Considering that I trashed my back doing things that hydraulics are better suited for, I'm very happy that I got the FEL with the tractor.

I've done some limited mowing with the 60" MMM. It's terrific. I have a JD commercial walk behind (14 HP/54" deck) and the Kubota does a better job (and it's faster too). Price of the whole package (tractor, FEL, MMM) was 12,100.

The 455 JD wasn't up to the tasks that I wanted. I found the 4xxx series was too big of a footprint and too pricey (not enough value---probably more of an issue with our local JD dealer). I didn't know about the 5XX series.

The PowerTrac's look fun. I didn't consider them because of the distance (I'm in WI), and I wasn't really sure how they would perform without test driving them.

Good luck with your decision. Half the fun is making up your mind and checking them out!

/ Advise NEEDED! #15  
Nate:
You have already heard from the 400 series Power Trac people on the board. I think that size would be far better for your place than my 1845. In fact, there are few things that I do where the 422 or 425 wouldn't get the job done. I have some pastures that would be slower mowing, but the 1845 is a bit big for lawn work.
I drove the 1430 at the factory and liked it. It is a little bigger than the 400 series. It is a lot more expensive, however, and for what you will be doing, you can get a 422 or 425 and a number of attachments for the 1430's base price.
I know it is a bit of a hike, but if there is any way you can get to Tazewell to try the PTs, it is a fun trip. I'll repeat Bubenberg's advice to me, however, which I ignored: "Don't take a credit card with you." By the time you finish the list of: and maybe one of these, a considerable amount of plastic can go up in smoke.