Advise NEEDED!

/ Advise NEEDED! #1  

nater

Tractor
Power Trac 422
First, let me apologize for the length of this post. But I REALLY need your advice. Our first NEW house, first NEW property and first ever tractor purchases are all happening at the same time, and they seem to be overwhelming us...or at least me.

My wife is not beginning to tire of hearing my indecision over the "tractor issue". So, I am looking for advice from all you pros.
We have a 1.75 acre piece of property. Our house has a full walkout basement so I would say 50% of the property is sloped (It drops about 30 feet over 150 feet), and backs up to a wetland and natural lake/glorified pond. My MAIN concern is mowing and the winter time fun of snow removal. I would also like to have the ability to haul around some stone and do some light landscape digging, so an FEL would be ideal. Additionally, we have about a half acre of wetland/wooded area behind that I would like to clean out over time (Along with the volumes of other honey-do items that have been "ordered"), so connection for some smaller 3pt pto items would be very useful. With that as my goal, here is what I have found with extensive looking and review of many of the fine posts on this group:

Kubota BX2200:
I really like the features and ability, along with the price, but I have test driven this several times and feel very uncomfortable. It lacks the leg room I am looking for, and the rocker pedal is akward because of it. While it WILL work, should I just overlook the fact that it doesn't sit very well for me? Has anyone modified the seat to allow it to go back further. My opinion is that Kubota has done a GREAT job, but is lacking in comfort features for me. Lastly, the FEL seems to be light in lifting capacity, but bear in mind that I don't know how much the stuff I will be moving weighs. BTW, the local dealers are both GREAT!!

John Deere 455:
Sits GREAT and seems to handle the mowing and snow removal, but lacks 4WD and comes up weak on the FEL and 3pt pto. Additionally, seems VERY expensive for what you get, compared to the rest of the field. The John Deere dealers around here seem rather arrogant and don't seem to want to "help" me.

John Deere 4100(and new 4110/4115):
VERY expensive, and feels a little too large. The newer units seem to add additional comfort and have additional power, but still this tractor "feels" like it might be too much. Again, the same issue with the John Deere dealers as above.

John Deere 500X series:
Can't find one, and am concerned about buying first year technology, along with the local dealer issues. But, if the spec sheets are accurate, this one seems to have all that I am looking for.

Agco Allis/Simplicity Legacy:(24.5hp diesel)
Really looks like a nice tractor, but have not found one to sit on. I like the name and hear nothing but praise for the way this mower cuts, and the power it has. The FEL option looks good.....but the proof is in seeing it.

Power-Trac 422/425:
Thanks to the die hard group of PT users, I have been reeled into looking hard at this. I really like the look, price and features, but after talking to the factory, they seemed concerned that I would feel very cramped with my long legs. They recommended looking at the 1430. My guess is that if it weren't for that issue, I would already have scheduled the trip to the factory. Still waiting for the videos to arrive, which may help me.

Power-Trac 1430:
This seems to have it all, but the cost will get to be the highest in the bunch. I wish I could get this frame size without the expensive diesel engine (425XL??) Again, still waiting for the videos to arrive.

Have I just lost my marbles? Am I making this too difficult or am I am just missing the obvious. Have I tricked myself into believing I NEED more tractor than I really do? I have turned into a tractor and TBY junkie. I can't sleep through a night without a tractor dream, and I can't wait to get home to check what new advice you fine people have posted. Is this normal when you are purchasing your first tractor?? I am beginning to design virtual implements for tractor that I don't even HAVE yet, and all this for ONLY two acres!! All the while, our new grass is growing and soon will be at calf length.
Any, and all, honest advice and direction would be greatly appreciated.
PS: The boss says I can spend up to 14k if I will shut up about the "tractor", but I want really want the best value.

/ Advise NEEDED! #2  
Re: Advice NEEDED!

My advice, don't look at the JD455 (not made anymore and does not have 4wd), but look at the JD X595 (hitting the dealers now and has 4wd, lots of leg room, and high in comfort, power, etc.).

You will get what you pay for. If you have made up your mind that the dealer doesn't need your business, then look elsewhere. You don't need the headache, and neither does the dealer.

The JD X595 is a lot of tractor, that in my opinion, can't be beat. But my opinion doesn't count with anyone but me. Good luck finding what you want.

/ Advise NEEDED! #3  
Nater,
With the rolling, sloping property, I think you need to consider 4WD for your purchase. It really helps out. I noticed that John Deere does not list an FEL as one of the available attachments for the X595. The Kubota does for it's BX2200, however it's limited to 460 lbs capacity. The Deere X595 starts at $11,300 or so. I have no idea where the Kubota starts at. The 4110 you mentioned will be way more tractor than either of those. It starts at $12,200. Now the Deere 790 is a lot more HP and starts at $11,300.
Have you thought about going used versus new?? I know the brand new ones look good but at a cost. I myself went with a grey market import. Lots more tractor at a lesser cost. Besides, I was able to put the savings into more implements. I don't have an FEL for mine yet, but will soon I hope. I have under $6000 in my set-up
Just another thing to think about in your dreams.

/ Advise NEEDED! #4  
Nater:
I have a power trac 422 and I am 6' 2" and about 215 pounds , size 12 shoe and i find adequate room in the power trac, more would be nice but it is not bad. The power trac is a real nice machine and fun to operate.

/ Advise NEEDED! #5  
<font color=blue>Have I just lost my marbles? Am I making this too difficult or am I am just missing the obvious. </font color=blue>

NO! and NO! You are simply doing what a lot of people wished they had done BEFORE they bought something - consider lots of alternatives, weigh +'s & -'s, and come to a LOGICAL conclusion (not just based on emotion or "brand bias")

Sounds like you're pointed in the right direction, but you might consider expanding your "brand search" a little too.

Although Kioti & Mahindra do make tractors in this "size", I'm not so sure they would be a good fit. If HST is a must, then both of those brands are out right off the bat. Additionally the Kioti's that are in that "range" (the LB1914 & LK2554) are a "little long in the tooth". The Mahindra is newer design, but another significant drawback is that neither the Kioti or Mahindra offer MMM (*I think*), which sounds like it would be something you might be interested in.

The one brand I haven't seen mentioned on your "starting lineup" is New Holland. They are one of the "Big 3" and from the posts on here, they make a really nice machine. The TC18 (NH guys help me out here) I believe you can get with 4wd, HST, and MMM if you're so inclined.

Of course these brands aren't the only ones out there - not by a long shot. Just thought you might find "that perfect tractor" if you expanded your search criteria a bit on brands.

Good luck! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Advise NEEDED! #6  
Looks like your primary use is lawn mowing. I mow around 4 acres with my JD 455 AWS and a 54" deck. Its an awsome Lawnmower, but I would not consider it for their FEL. I had a JD 345 and probably liked its handling better than the 455. Went to the 455 for Deisel longivity. I probably would not buy another AWS. The 345 has a very tight turning radius. By going to a 4WD, I believe you will loose a lot of manuverability and increase the mowing time. The sloping terrain makes 4WD worth thinking about. Their will be trade-offs in every piece of equipment you consider. For 1.75 acres, I would look for a good lawn mower up front and possibly rent or buy some used equipment for moving dirt, or probably cheaper still, would be to contract it. John Deere does make fine lawn care machines. I have absolutly no experience with their new line. Good luck and happy shopping.

/ Advise NEEDED! #7  
I am 6'2" and 250lbs. I wear size 12 WWW shoes. I have no problems fitting in my PT425 but I also drive a VW golf 1992 (greatest car I ever owned, 170,000 miles and still the origional clutch). All the tractors you are looking at are excellent but I am partial to the Power Trac. When figuring your prices include attachements. The Power Trac has a snow plow with power angle wich is excellent for snow removal.
PTRich

/ Advise NEEDED! #8  
I agree with PTRich. I'm 6' and 205 lbs. Size 13 shoes. Long legs. The PT425 fits me well.

When I was tractor shopping I had $15,000.00 to spend. I got the PT425, 5 attachments, loading ramps and some other stuff, shipped to my hometown for $12,591.64. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=other&Number=91187&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1> If you click here, you'll see exactly what I got for my bucks.</A> I still have about $2300.00 left to play with. I am so happy with my purchase that I might not even spend it at all /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Advise NEEDED! #9  
concur w/ moss road, i am of the same hight and shoe size goes but in weight you can add a few teens more. mondays (wood) and tuesdays (fieldmowing) i spend my day in that vehicle all day and just as a sideline i have a very old back.

to reduce the fatigue factor, one day soon i will add a more sophisticated seat to help absorb some of the vibration and gopher hole shocks.

good luck in your purchase decision.

/ Advise NEEDED!
Hey guys,
Just wanted to tell you that I truly appreciate your advice. Based upon the above, I think I will definitely wait for the videos and additional information to arrive from Power Trac. I plan on calling PT tomorrow to schedule the factory visit. I will also revisit my local John Deere and Kubota dealers one last time and test drive and question the heck out of each.

One additional question: Do any of you own the PT 1430 or have test driven it at the factory? Is it really that much larger than the 425? Can the accessories for the 425 be used on the 1430? The price list shows different parts and prices for each model.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your thoughts. I just hope that I will be able to return the favor over time.

PS: The grass will just have to wait another couple of days. Self-seeding grass is good......right? (At least that's what I tell the wife) :)

Nate