New Massey Ferguson 1532 or used John Deere 3320

/ New Massey Ferguson 1532 or used John Deere 3320 #1  

WH401

Platinum Member
I'm currently looking at these two tractors to replace my grass cutter and sub for my loader:

The first is a brand new 2008 Massey Ferguson 1532 w/ a 9x3 gear mesh transmission, that comes with a L100 loader, rear weight box, & filled (w/ methanol & water) R4 tires. Dealer told me the list on this was about $21,000 and said he would sell it to me for $17,500. To me I think that this is a good price. Also I'll be getting a finish mower, he sells bush hog and mentioned model RFM 60, which is the economy series. He said that would be about $1800, not sure what a 6ft RDTH model would be as I'm more looking in the 72" directiong. For a ruff estimate there I think it would be somewhere around 19,500 to 20,000, before taxes. Massey at the moment is doing 0% for 50 months and this would qualify for that.

The second is a used 2006 JD 3320 w/11 hrs & a Power Reverser transmission, that comes with a 300cx loader. I'm going to add the following to it: IMatch, a worklight, 61" HD bucket (I'm getting credit for the materials bucket already on it), 61" cutting edge, 61" tooth bar, a GM1072R rear finish mower(basically a Wood's PRD7200 just repainted and relabeled with Deere, not sure whether it has a front roller or solid/pneumatic tires but that stuff can be ordered), the IMatch conversion for it, and I'm having the tires filled with Rim Guard. This tractor looks brand new other then the fact that alot of the black plastic and knobs that face up have faded slightly from the sun. The price on all this together would be $20,810 before taxes. Not sure what the rates would be at the moment on used equipment but it would most likely be financed for 5 years.

Looking at both in terms of money I would definately save more in the long run with the Massey. But I think in terms of a tractor the Deere is a much better buy and I think I'll be happier with it. I was pleased to find the Deere dealer sells Rim Guard as that was what I had been wanting for ballast. I can also get a HD bucket with the Deere, it's not available on the L100 for the Massey.

I've come from cutting about 7 acres of grass regular with a 72' International Cub w/ a 5ft Woods belly mower and it's just old & tired, but it was a good tractor in it's prime. Either of these tractors will be like driving a cadillac compared to a Cub.

I'm going to look at the Massey this weekend, and the Deere on Labor Day weekend. I think I'm probably leaning more towards the Deere, it has alot of things that I like/want that aren't available with the Massey, but the Massey is no sloutch and would be a fine tractor. Which would you all go with?

/ New Massey Ferguson 1532 or used John Deere 3320 #2  
Both are fine tractors, and should give good service for a long time with proper maintenance. You need to go sit on them, try them out, try to get the dealer to let you demo them on your property for a day or two, and see which one fits you the best and will do what you want to do. You also need to try on each dealer. How does he treat you? What is his shop like? Talk to the mechanics and the parts guys, The choice of the dealer is probably as important as the choice of the tractor.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

/ New Massey Ferguson 1532 or used John Deere 3320 #3  
Does the used machine come with a warranty? My Massey dealer uses Rimguard,don't know why the Massey dealer you visited uses different stuff. Like someone else mentioned,the dealer,parts network is important. My friend has a bigger deere,he has to go to the deere dealer that does construction equipment for parts in stock,the local deere dealer is more lawn and garden,takes a few days to get parts. I like both machines,I admit the sheet metal on the Massey bucket is thin,I have added a splash shield,cutting edge to mine too make it beefier. Good Luck on your decision. plowking

/ New Massey Ferguson 1532 or used John Deere 3320
I agree on the importance of the right dealer, I have dealt with both, purchased from both, so either one is great. I have driven my neighbors Massey 1428v gear, almost a smaller version of a 1532, and I was very happy with it. Haven't tried out the Deere but am going to next weekend. As far as warranty the Deere has one that is good til' Feb. of 2009, makes me worry slightly about if i'll have some major problem with it since it has been sitting, but I'm not sure how long it's been sitting though.

/ New Massey Ferguson 1532 or used John Deere 3320 #5  
I haven't priced MF in a couple of years, but to me that sounds high, unless the mower is included in that price. The JD is the better buy, to me. But, if you haven't done so already, you might want to check out the other guys before pulling the trigger: bota, kioti, mahindra, NH. You might find a better deal. For example, the Kioti CK35 is now being offered with a free loader.