Small tractor transport..

/ Small tractor transport.. #21  
I saw the faces of some guys who were hauling a full size backhoe on a trailer as the boom hit the bottom of an underpass. The machine didn't come off the trailer, but I bet it had some damage. That's good reason to put the boom down on the trailer deck.

I appreciate the other posts here because I sure don't want anything in motion while towing it, either.

/ Small tractor transport.. #22  
as per DOT rules, any hydraulic attachment (loader arms, backhoe boom, TPH implement) musy be also chained down. For a small tractor. I would have two chains holding the machine down, one holding the FEL down, and one holding whatever is on the back down. I haul heavy equipment on a daily basis, and i do know what is required

Just a question here, should not the tractor by itself be required to have 4 chains and then one each for the loader and what ever is on the back? I'm thinking 6 chains total. Or is it just California that would require 6 chains? I don't know, just what I've seen here in Calif. :confused:

/ Small tractor transport.. #23  
Just about every DOT is different.. some require seperate chains for each corner.. not a single chain that hits 2 corners.. front and rear.. etc.

In this case though.. more restraints is almost always better, safety wise.

I've seen a well stabilized cat dozer 'stuck' to a trailer setting on it's side after n accident... kudos tot he guy who loaded and bound that machine down.

soundguy

/ Small tractor transport.. #24  
Here you are required to use a separate chain and binder on each corner. Makes sense when you think of what could happen if one gave way for some reason. As mentioned the loader and each implement are also suppose to have a separate chain and binder. Straps are a no go for anything with tires or a suspension.

That said, I don't know anyone that is non commercial being sited for not having all the proper tie downs. It does make you wonder what the insurance company would say when investigating a claim though.

MarkV

/ Small tractor transport.. #25  
as per DOT rules, any hydraulic attachment (loader arms, backhoe boom, TPH implement) musy be also chained down. For a small tractor. I would have two chains holding the machine down, one holding the FEL down, and one holding whatever is on the back down. I haul heavy equipment on a daily basis, and i do know what is required

That and the 4 point attachment of chains/straps only kicks in federally when the tractor is 10,000 pounds or more. I've attached the a doc the feds put out to explain it. Tractors and wheeled equipment under 10,000 pounds are secured to the standard used for automobiles.

Excerpt

ァ393.128 What are the rules for securing automobiles,
light trucks and vans?
(a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the
transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans
which individually weigh 4,536 kg. (10,000 lbs) or
less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than
4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) must be secured in accordance
with the provisions of ァ393.130 of this part.
(b) Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.
(1) Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be
restrained at both the front and rear to prevent
lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical
movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
(2) Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the
structure of the automobile, light truck, or van
must use the mounting points on those vehicles
that have been specifically designed for that
purpose.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or
around the wheels of an automobile, light truck,
or van must provide restraint in the lateral,
longitudinal and vertical directions.
(4) Edge protectors are not required for synthetic
webbing at points where the webbing comes in
contact with the tire

ァ393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy
vehicles, equipment and machinery?
(a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the
transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and
machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such
as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors, and power
shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg
(10,000 lbs) or more. Vehicles, equipment and
machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000
lbs) may also be secured in accordance with the
provisions of this section, with ァ393.128, or in
accordance with the provisions of ァァ393.100
through 393.114.
(b) Preparation of equipment being transported.
(1) Accessory equipment, such as hydraulic
shovels, must be completely lowered and
secured to the vehicle.
(2) Articulated vehicles shall be restrained in a
manner that prevents articulation while in
transit.

Last edited:
   / Small tractor transport.. #26  
On just the tractor itself, i have sometimes used 2 chains with 4 load binders since i have chain hooks welded on to the tractor itself. So one chain end is attached to the trailer and goes to a hoof on the tractor with a binder for tightening. The same thing is done with the other end. There is a loose drape of chain in between the two chain hooks on the tractor. This chain should be counted as two chains but i do not know if they do. I just hate to cut a chain if i do not have to.

Ken

/ Small tractor transport.. #27  
I'd agree.. with the extra attach points.. I would also count it as a 'seperate' chain.. but i bet MR DOT wouldn't.

soundguy

/ Small tractor transport.. #28  
I have my thoughts on what is "enough". But that, your opinion, or the next guys opinion are worth about $.02 if the cop that has you pulled over doesn't like it, or the judge doesn't like it....

In most states, the Commercial Vehicle Enforcment Officers will be the ones tasked with enforcing tie-down regulations. Even if you AREN'T commercial, they generally enforce hauling regs (especially on state or interstate highways)

My suggestion? Call them. Get THEIR input on what they like to see. Get their take on "the law" as it is written and/or interpreted (and enforced) in your locale.

After all, they have the power to ruin your day even if you think you have a tractor secured to "over-kill" standards.

In my area (Central Kentucky) The KY State Police have a division know as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. Those officers are still state troopers. They patrol Kentucky roads, looking for ANY vehicular infractions. I routinely call them and ask about any updates or changes in commercial regs. They're ALWAYS willing to help, especially when you show an interest in saftey and reducing the likelyhood that they'll have to deal with an accident caused by improper saftey equipment.

Call the cops.....

/ Small tractor transport.. #29  
I have my thoughts on what is "enough". But that, your opinion, or the next guys opinion are worth about $.02 if the cop that has you pulled over doesn't like it, or the judge doesn't like it....

In most states, the Commercial Vehicle Enforcment Officers will be the ones tasked with enforcing tie-down regulations. Even if you AREN'T commercial, they generally enforce hauling regs (especially on state or interstate highways)

My suggestion? Call them. Get THEIR input on what they like to see. Get their take on "the law" as it is written and/or interpreted (and enforced) in your locale.

After all, they have the power to ruin your day even if you think you have a tractor secured to "over-kill" standards.

In my area (Central Kentucky) The KY State Police have a division know as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. Those officers are still state troopers. They patrol Kentucky roads, looking for ANY vehicular infractions. I routinely call them and ask about any updates or changes in commercial regs. They're ALWAYS willing to help, especially when you show an interest in saftey and reducing the likelyhood that they'll have to deal with an accident caused by improper saftey equipment.

Call the cops.....
Except for a few thoughts, I am going to agree with this because I want to keep this thread informative. I would read the regs including the educational materials to get a general understanding before seeking the advice of a DOT person so you have at least some idea of what is going on.

I personally would lay any accessory down on the deck if possible but if said equipment parts can be securely pinned in place, then they may be kept up. Read the regs, it is in there.

Read that the regs for under 10k state "the minimum required amount of tiedowns". You may also want to read 3.7.2 in the educational materials. I go with four cross tied chains, four binders, usually one for the loader bucket, etc., thank you.