Small tractor transport..

/ Small tractor transport.. #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
..Anybody care to suggest some ways of securing a tractor to the trailer for transport.? Luckily, I already had an F250D and a nice dovetail tandem trailer for hauling other stuff.. But I'd like to know how some of you are strapping it to the trailer.. I went out today and bought a few 14' lengths of 3/8 "Trucker's Chain" and some matching ratcheting tighteners..
..Might be a schtoopit question but ya never know.. Mebbe I can get some useful info and save a headache..
Over-simplifying things has proven to be both dangerous and expensive in the past.. d:^) Schneeky..

/ Small tractor transport.. #2  
I used to haul equipment for a living. There is alot of flexibility on chaining things down, and everybody does it differently, but a couple basic principles.

On a small tractor, (mine) I put a clevis through the draw bar hole, and run a chain through that, and run another chain through (around) the front bumper assembly. The rear chain pulls rearward, and the front chain pulls forward. You don't really want the chains pulling down vertically, as this can allow some forward or backward movement. On the rear, you could also go around the axle shafts with 2 separate nylon straps. That's another option.

If you have a loader, put it all the way down. Not really necessary to chain that too. It won't go anywhere, but you can if you want. Won't hurt.

Also, if my backhoe is attached, (there may be some disagreement here, but this is my feeling) I lay the boom down on the deck so the extra weight is not being carried by the tractor. Then I chain that to the deck too. A 1000LB backhoe bouncing down the road at highway speed can't be good for a small tractor, or the pivot pins for that matter.

One thing you Never want to do is use hydraulic pressure to secure a load. For example, don't throw a chain over the loader, and the 3point hitch, and lift up on them to take up the slack and tighten the chain. The hydraulics will leak down, and the chains will be loose where you get where you're going.

Lastly, try not to overtighten the chain binders. Tightening them draws the tractor down, and literally adds hundreds of pounds of weight to your axles and tires. Don't go crazy. And stop to check your chains periodically on long trips.

/ Small tractor transport..
..Thankya Sir.!! Sounds like plain common sense is the route to take.. My own thinking was 3 point.. Two to the rear drawing out and back plus one to the front from one side of the trailer to the other pulling forward..

..Where do ya stand on nylon vs. chain.? I like nylon for it's "non-abrasive" qualities, but I've seen it pop when scored by a burr or some such.. A worrisome little tidbit when working with lots of exposed metal on a working machine.. d:^) Schneeky..

/ Small tractor transport.. #5  
there are plenty of threads on this in the trailer and towing forum. take a look.

respectfully disagree with some of the info here in this thread already.

tightening the the tractor down to the trailer does not add any force to the load the wheels and springs are carrying. it adds force to the tie down points on each end of the chain via the chain.

the most generally accepted way of tying down that will pass DOT requirements in most states is to run a separate chain to each corner of the load, not a single chain wrapped at the center of the load with each end secured to opposite sides of the trailer. the thinking here is that if one chain fails, the end of the load is still secured by the other chain if you do it the first way, but using a single chain could result in your load getting loosey goosey on you if that single chain fails and the whole front of the load is allowed to move freely.

for the backhoe, i leave mine up and restrain it with a ratched strap so it can't bounce. mostly that is because i have to have it hanging over the end of the trailer a few inches to get my tongue weight correct in some situations. otherwise, if i could, i would let it down and tighten it to the bed of the trailer. either way, the key as mentioned is to take the bouncing stresses off the pins and hydraulics.

there are many schools of though on what to use for tie downs, how to secure on each end, etc. most are well reviewed and discussed in the trailer and towing forum.

the key for me was to make sure i had no weak links in the securing "chain" of hardware. meaning, don't cheap out on any one component like a clevis or d-ring to save a few bucks. make sure all links, straps, ratchets, rings, anchor points, etc. have a working load limit that is within the range for your load and the forces it might see when stopping or turning at speed.

amp

/ Small tractor transport.. #6  
does not add any force to the load the wheels and springs are carrying.
I don't think he meant the load on the trailer springs.

BH down for me. (with the boom lever bunji tied into float mode)

/ Small tractor transport.. #7  
I could be wrong, it happens often. I understood DOT rules required the backhoe bucket be setting on the trailer with a separate chain to hold it down?

MarkV

/ Small tractor transport.. #8  
Lastly, try not to overtighten the chain binders. Tightening them draws the tractor down, and literally adds hundreds of pounds of weight to your axles and tires. Don't go crazy. And stop to check your chains periodically on long trips.

Sorry, clearly this statement is just plain incorrect. The weight on the axles and tires won't change one ounce no matter how tight you tighten the load down. Only the forces in the chain, binders, hitch points and equipment will change. A simple free body diagram can be drawn to prove this.

Andy

/ Small tractor transport.. #9  
The chain and all components (like binders and hooks) must be Grade 70 transport grade. The DOT has become agressive in inforcing that no part of the load (including backhoe bucket) overhang any part of the trailer.

I believe 4 point tiedown is required as well as backhoe bucket. I know they are stopping people with overhanging backhoe buckets (most people used to overhang in this area and get away with it).

Andy

Andy

/ Small tractor transport..
..I'm pretty sure Homer was talkin about the springs and tires of the tractor being squeezed by over-tightening of the securing mechanism.. Not the hauling trailer.. Seems we have a coupla different sets of suspension in this situation.. :eek:

Willl- Whot izzat wicked lookin piece'o'gear ya have in yer avatar.? :eek: Looks mean.!! I like it.!! :cool: d:^) Schneeky..