4WD variations.?

/ 4WD variations.? #31  
I agree that some folks are not up to date terminology wise and create confusion when communicating with those of us who are.

So are our trucks really just front wheel assist? I don't think so.

When you engage 4wd you power all the wheels, in many cases in CUT's, mechanically. Whether or not there is sufficient traction to prevent wheel slip at some particular HP output is another matter. So limited slip or not in the rear and like wise in the front is not really the issue just as tire size is irrelevant.

CUT's are intended for extended periods of 4wd as needed and determined by the operator as are pickups. It is, at best, inconsistent to call a truck with a transfer case and a drive shaft that can power the front differential a 4wd truck if the same, nearly the same, or equivalent mechanical configuration on a tractor is not 4wd WITH NO EQUIVOCATION.

I have no problem with the technologically out of date folks using their antiquated terminology. Shucks, I have to be careful to not say ice box and other anachronistic terms. My problem is with those who insist that those of us trained on new technology and terminology are wrong, misguided, or at best marginally tolerated. If a finer distinction is needed to differentiate between styles of achieving 4wd then that too is another issue but so far has not been a hindrance in communications.

Pat

To try to clarify this just a little bit more - the reason that there is a significant distinction between true four wheel drive tractors (the big articulated dudes) and our four wheel drive tractors (that we can switch in and out) has to do with our sales are recorded and reported. I believe that, at least according to some reporting schedules, the tractors that have MFWA, MFWD, or are otherwise known as 4wd actually fall into the 2wd category for the sake of that poll. You could kind of think of it like this - our little tractors are part time 4wd (possibly like your trucks) as opposed to the real 4wd tractors that are full-time 4wd.

Try not to be too hard on folks that aren't up to speed on new vs. old terminology. Whether or not someone calls your tractor 4wd or front wheel assist or happy yankee flypaper has very little to do with its abilities. I refer to my little front wheel assist and mechanical front wheel drive tractors as four wheel drive in casual conversation as well.

Take care.

/ 4WD variations.? #32  
To try to clarify this just a little bit more - the reason that there is a significant distinction between true four wheel drive tractors (the big articulated dudes) and our four wheel drive tractors (that we can switch in and out) has to do with our sales are recorded and reported.

Try not to be too hard on folks that aren't up to speed on new vs. old terminology. Whether or not someone calls your tractor 4wd or front wheel assist or happy yankee flypaper has very little to do with its abilities. I refer to my little front wheel assist and mechanical front wheel drive tractors as four wheel drive in casual conversation as well.

Take care.

I guess I take exception with arbitrary distortions introduced for "accounting purposes." How someone collects information and chooses to label column headings to display information that the vast majority of tractor and pickup owners never have and probably never will see and has little impact on daily communications by just plain folks is at best of passing interest, a piece of truth but not important to most of us and likely not to be a trivia question on the Discovery channel's "Cash Cab."

Still, I would be happy to have my tractor and each of my three 4wd trucks referred to with a standardized term such as "s4wd" (Selectable 4wd) should it be introduced and accepted.

Regarding the terminologically anachronistic among us... Hey, I am one too. Recall my ice box example? Like the Will Rogers quote, (Here stated as best my memory can do.) "We are all ignorant, just about different things." We all fall behind in some areas of our complex and fast paced times.

I agree that labels don't make our tractors more or less capable but consistent use of rational labels would sure help us talk about them with less confusion.

Pat

/ 4WD variations.? #33  
Should I say my tractor has part time two wheel drive or part time three wheel drive when the rear differential lock is engaged.??:confused::confused::confused:

I do have a truck that has full time one wheel drive and part time two wheel drive. How do I classify this??:confused::confused::confused:

In any case what is important to me is the lack of cessation of forward or rearward motion of the tractor or truck!:D:D:D

/ 4WD variations.? #34  
Whenever my vehicle experiences the cessation of forward motion and someone asks me if I'm stuck, I just reply - "Not 'til I'm outta gas!"

/ 4WD variations.? #35  
Should I say my tractor has part time two wheel drive or part time three wheel drive when the rear differential lock is engaged.??:confused::confused::confused:

I do have a truck that has full time one wheel drive and part time two wheel drive. How do I classify this??:confused::confused::confused:

In any case what is important to me is the lack of cessation of forward or rearward motion of the tractor or truck!:D:D:D

To answer your questions... Yes, Ford and I agree. ;)

/ 4WD variations.? #36  
Ah, yes, but I am sure there is one thing we can all agree on, out of fuel or not, and that is one never knows the meaning of 'stuck' until one is stuck with all 4 wheels still turning..... :D

/ 4WD variations.? #37  
Both wheels on a powered differential axle always drive if in ground contact. Motive force is just limited to approximately twice that of the one with the lesser traction.
larry

/ 4WD variations.? #38  
Not 'till I'm outta gas!"

I'd say "Not till I'm out of diesel" which may actually be true as there are frequent checks made to see if there are debris on the bottom of the tank. If there was a fuel Gage there would probably be fewer checks!:D

/ 4WD variations.? #39  
One more type of drive system...

No transmission.
No differentials.
No drive shafts.
One engine.
One hydraulic pump.
One hydraulic motor at each wheel.
Each wheel is the same size.
The left front and right rear motors are in series.
The right front and left rear motors are in series.
Those two circuits are in parallel.
The unit is articulated and bends in the middle.

Turning the steering wheel to the left causes the front left tire to roll backward while the left rear rolls forward as both left wheels get closer together. The right front tire rolls forward while the right rear rolls backward as the right wheels get farther away from each other. The opposite happens if the steering wheel is turned towards the right. Amazing thing is, no scuffing of the turf happens if you turn the wheel lock-to-lock while standing still, going forward or going backward.

Here's a link to a movie of it turning a full circle in my driveway. No tire slippage on pavement at full lock-to-lock turn. Just a perfect circle turn.:)