Advice on Tractors for a City Girl

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #1  

twofoolsmet

Hi!
I need a tractor for 20 acres to mow, blade and drag brush etc. aroung for general clean up. I am fixing up this property for my horses. I am a city girl and have driven tractors at several horse barns but have NO IDEA what I should buy for my own place. I know I want 3 point and live PTO (?) and enough power to get the mowing done quickly. The grass is waist high right now. I want used and as inexpensive as possible. What brands or tractor would you recommend I look at? How big should the tractor be? RPM's? Last night I looked at a Massey Ferguson 50, circa 1958 and it was pretty big and seemed quite powerful. He wanted $3500 and I though that was high given some ads I have seen and the age of the tractor but I really would have no idea. Please help this
ignorant city girl fiind the right tractor!

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #2  
Sounds like you need somewhere around 40+ HP and a FEL (front end loader). Tractors of that size come with PTO and 3 pt hitch. The faster you want to mow, the more power you will have to buy.

I went with a Kubota L5740 with a cab, but that sounds to be out of your price range. I wanted the added power for a 7 foot bush hog since I don't have as much time as I would like to devote to mowing, and need a cab with all the heat and bugs here.

Start by looking at what you will be doing, what implements you will need, and then how much power you require to use those implements. Most here will tell you to opt for more power if you can manage that.

Forgot to add: most brands like JD and Kubota have 0% 36 month or longer financing including implements to help make your purchase possible.

Last edited:
   / Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #3  
$3500 for a nice MF50 isn't high at all. They sell for $4000+ around here, so long as they're in good shape.

Set a budget price and we'll clue you in as to what's normally in that price range. Also might help to know the general area where you live. Some models and brands sell higher than others in certain regions.

A good utility tractor, live power, 3-point, power steering, decent rubber, and in good mechanical condition, $3500 is getting close to the bottom end of the price range.

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #4  
Some of your discision making will be new verses used. The older the tractor the less bells and whistles you will have. Where it counts is how the PTO is setup or the type of tranny it has. My neighbor has a circa 65 MF and the PTO engagement is part of the clutch. It's very stiff and you have to feather it while engaging the PTO or you can snap a shear pin etc. He also "has" to come to a complete stop before changing directions or he will grind the gears. On the other end of the scale is a newish JD with a live PTO and you have a separate engagement for the PTO. In my case I have the shuttle tranny which allows me to shift from forward to reverse very easy which is important using a FEL. You can get a variety of HST trannies which are even easier to use.

As have been said before for 20 acres 40+ PTO HP (engine will be about 45HP), FEL, 6ft rotary cutter, HD Box blade and whatever other impliments you may need. Look around your area as to what others are using. Check out your dealers. If you can walk into a dealer with a definite list of implements and tractor requirements I think you will less likely get a salesman whole will want to sell you a bill of goods you don't need. As an example on my byline with what I've got so far was about $20k.

There are many great brands out there and you will hear from many good people as to the merits of there tractors. Again define your needs and stick to your guns as to what "you" want.

Good luck.

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #5  
Don't forget the rental market. Sometimes its better to try it before you buy it. Rent a tractor and mower for the weekend to get the pasture cleaned up. WALK the pasture the week before to learn where the obstacles are located...

You may find you need larger or smaller, depending on your needs and interests. I mow a lot with a 23hp tractor, but mowing is one of my hobbies. I personally enjoy the alone time, and don't mind a few extra hours on the tractor. Others may want to get the mowing over quick, which equates to mowing capacity...

Property cleanup is unique because its normally a one time deal. Once the property is up to snuff, you only need to maintain it. I prefer to rent the one time equipment (stump grinders, large capacity chippers, etc...) since I know they will sit for the other 363 days per year.

IowaAndy

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl
Thanks, what would I use a front end loader for? I have read that they are very handy.

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl
Alos, in response to "farmwithjunk" my property is 30 minutes outside of kansas city, missouri. And my price range is under $5000 and preferable cheaper. I want to get what I need with the implements necesary at the lowest price. That Massey seemed very strong. I justs don't know about it since it is the first tractor I have looked at. It's seat is a mess and the steeering sheel needs a cover (not very "clean" i.e., new paint etc.) but it works and took off Like a horse out of the gate in second gear. The seller said it had a low and high setting and that I would need to mow the tall grass in low second so it didn't get bogged down. And the live power would be high. At least that's what I think he said. I think there was a lever for live power under the left side of the seat but I don't know if the clutch engages it or not.

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #8  
Take a look at Kioti or Montana tractors. I bought a Montana and really like mine. I found after doing some research that I could buy new for just a little more than buying used and with a 3 year warranty. I feel like I came out ahead. I bought a cab with FEL and it's been great. Good Luck..

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #9  
Hi!
I need a tractor for 20 acres to mow, blade and drag brush etc. aroung for general clean up. I am fixing up this property for my horses. I am a city girl and have driven tractors at several horse barns but have NO IDEA what I should buy for my own place. I know I want 3 point and live PTO (?) and enough power to get the mowing done quickly. The grass is waist high right now. I want used and as inexpensive as possible. What brands or tractor would you recommend I look at? How big should the tractor be? RPM's? Last night I looked at a Massey Ferguson 50, circa 1958 and it was pretty big and seemed quite powerful. He wanted $3500 and I though that was high given some ads I have seen and the age of the tractor but I really would have no idea. Please help this
ignorant city girl fiind the right tractor!

Since you're into used tractors, I'd read and follow this current TBN thread

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/127598-checklist-diesels.html

You need to know how to check out and evaluate a used tractor, especially if you want one that doesn't need a lot of repair/refurbishment before it's useful to you.

In July 06 I bought a 1964 MF-135 diesel with 4600 hours for $3600.

It runs fine, but needed a thorough cleaning (radiator air passages were more than half clogged)> I decided to do a pretty through refurbishment (clean the tractor and engine thoroughly, replace broken parts (gauges, new steering wheel), repaint.

DSCF0237Medium.jpg

/ Advice on Tractors for a City Girl #10  
Thanks, what would I use a front end loader for? I have read that they are very handy.
To lift&carry things. To hold something at the height you need while you work. To push stuff. To unload stuff and put it on the ground where you need it. To smooth the ground by backdragging the bucket. Etc, etc.

The Kubota L2550 is a very sweet, nimble, capable 29HP 4wheel assist tractor. You might be able to find one in good shape with FEL for $5K. We have extensive experience with one on a horse farm. Its a good match for what youll probably need, AND practically bullet proof.
larry