Weird backhoe purchase situation...

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation... #1  

rootytoot

Tractor
Ford/NH Model 1920, Allis Chalmers Model G
OK, so I have a Ford/NH model 1920 tractor now (for those who saw my posting over in the NH threads I passed on the NH 1715 and went for the bigger tractor). I've decided that I have a lot of projects that make a backhoe worth buying, so I set out calling dealers to talk about New Holland and Woods backhoes.

I called dealer A in the local big city and got a quick quote of $7k for the BH70-X and $8k for BH80-X, with sub-frame but no pump kit (shouldn't need it, I would think). Dealer A is a NH dealer but I wasn't too interested in the NH offerings at the time or didn't have much time on my lunch hour, so all we talk about is the Woods backhoes.

A couple days later I call dealer B, the small town New Holland dealer closest to me. We spend a fair bit of time on the phone, and I learn that NH still sells the 756C for $$7.5k which fits my older tractor, but not the 758C or 759C. NH sells a 920 or something like that, but he isn't sure that he can mount it on my tractor. The 756C is only a six footer, so I tell dealer B I'm not too interested. What else are you looking at, he asks? I say, well I'm leaning toward the BH80. I'm not a Woods dealer, but let me see what I can do, he says. He calls me back later, and says I definitely can't fit a bigger NH on your rig, but I can do a little horse trading and put a BH80-X on your tractor for the same price as the 756C - $7500. The catch is, have you been talking to anyone else? Why yes, I say, I got a price from dealer A. Well, that's unfortunate, because that's who I was going to trade with, but if you're talking to them already you'll have to get it through them. Bummer.

So, I go to dealer A's showroom. We look over the units, we talk installation, delivery, we talk price. I'm thinking that perhaps there is some wiggle room on price here, but no go: he wants $8095 firm, which I think is list price. I don't tell him about dealer B, though perhaps he knows about that situation. I leave without making a commitment.

So, now what? Do I wait two weeks, then go back to dealer A a second time, and say, look dealer B was willing to sell me this for $7500, surely you have got some room to negotiate here? Is $8095 a good, typical price? Do some dealers negotiate price from list, or is that unusual? Frankly, at this point I'm almost tempted to just go to the John Deere dealer down the road (who also carries Woods equipment), and just deal with him because at least I've bought an attachment from him previously.

Thanks for whatever advice you care to offer on this...

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation... #2  
For me..if I feel I'm not getting a fair deal on something I don't buy from that person/dealer, but I understand a business needs to make a profit, so a bit more for convenience is okay, and fair in my book. Not everyone has the luxury of many local places so your options could be limited. Good service, a responsive dealer is worth something, you need to decide how much it's worth. We can't force someone to sell us something for a better price, though sometimes we can talk them into it..maybe wear 'em down? I'd go ahead and speak with the Deere people too, why not.

I once drove over 300 miles to pick up a backhoe attachment for a better price (much better), and I installed it myself. Gas was a lot cheaper then, but shipping is still reasonable with an outside source ( Getloaded.com - The Internet Load Board for the Trucking Industry - https://www.uship.com/login.aspx)

If you need someone to install it, or if traveling further isn't feasible then I'm not much help.

So, now what? Do I wait two weeks, then go back to dealer A a second time, and say, look dealer B was willing to sell me this for $7500, surely you have got some room to negotiate here? Is $8095 a good, typical price? Do some dealers negotiate price from list, or is that unusual?

You do whatever you feel you should to get a good deal.
Not sure what's fair for that attachment, make calls. the phone is a cheap way to find out.
A dealer will do whatever they can to make enough money from each deal so they can keep the doors open.

BTW welcome to TractorByNet :)

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation... #3  
Rootytoot, I think you are over-thinking the whole price situation. Tractors are expensive and attachment prices always come as a shock. But I think you are putting too much time into a seven to eight percent price difference. Shucks, that's about the difference in sales tax between where I live and the neighboring county. I think you are right to consider the price...and to bargain if both of you enjoy it...So if it were me I'd be considering the price, but basing my decision on more important things like how I liked a particular dealer and his operation.
rScotty

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation... #4  
I would talk with ALL the dealers around. Would also see if Dealer B can wrangle the larger NH hoe onto your tractor. From your note, "B" sounds more responsive and willing to actually work for you to get you what you want. Dealer "A" sounds like he justs wants you to light his cigarette after the deal is done....

jb

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation...
rScotty, you're probably right on over-thinking the price situation... it's just that feeling like, here's the cake (when I was offered the lower price)! no, you can't have it (when it was withdrawn)! Also a good idea to check all the local dealers, as well as a little bit afield to see what prices are typical. Thanks for your responses.

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation... #6  
I don't know if this helps you or not, but I bought a Woods B-70X With the PTO pump and subframe kit about 15 months ago, from a dealer other than the one I bought the tractor from. My price was $6750 installed.

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation... #7  
May B you should check dealers C D E F & G>!
so I set out calling dealers to talk about New Holland and Woods backhoes.IDo I wait two week called deal or didn't have much time on my he knows about that l latere, but no go: he I call dealer B, the small town 7.5k which fits my older tractor, but not the 758C or 759C. NH sells a 920 or something like that, but he isn't sure that he can m o interested. What else are you looki e asks? I say, well I'm leaning toward the BH80. I'm not a Woods deale s I defin rough them. Bummer.So le ro go back to own the road (w equipment), with him bec nks for wadvic

Last edited:
   / Weird backhoe purchase situation... #8  
We're massively overstocked on those 757 and 748 backhoes where I am. Anybody would be able to come in and get one at dealer cost.

Where are you?

/ Weird backhoe purchase situation...
I'm in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Rootytoot