Sales Tax & Financing

/ Sales Tax & Financing #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
I live in North East Massachusetts (5% sales tax). The closest dealers for the big three are all in Tax Free New Hampshire. If I purchase and finance a tractor will the dealer collect sales tax?

I know that I am required by Mass to pay the tax, but might be willing to risk it. If the New Hampshire dealers collect the tax, I will look in Mass as far as price comparison goes.

Hopefully the CFO will approve this purchase & change this from a theoretical question to a practical dilemma.

Steve

/ Sales Tax & Financing #2  
Oh NO not another sales tax dodger !!!! The state needs all of your hard earned money !!!

The bad news: The state of Mass requires that you pay sales tax ( 5 % ) on your purchases ( in MA ) or a USE tax ( 5 % ) on anything that is purchased outside the state for use in MA.

Now the good news: If you buy the tractor in New Hampshire, the New Hampshire dealer will not collect sales tax if the tractor is delivered in New Hampshire ( at his lot ...nudge nudge!! or if you sign the papers that say you took delivery in New Hampshire ...wink...wink !! ) The finance companies don't care.

Back to the bad news: If you need to register the tractor
( want to drive over the road to friends house ) the you need to pay sales tax to MA.

How will you get caught: You shouldn't unless you brag about it or list your personal info and intentions on the Internet !!!

Technically, you're also required to pay your town a personal property tax ( similar to excise ) on an annual basis on the tractor, your cows, and other livestock. Bet you didn't know that the electric company has to pay your town a tax for the poles and wire in your town !!!

Save the money, buy in New Hampshire, keep it quiet, and enjoy the attachments you can now afford with the savings.

Not that I'm talking from experience ......

/ Sales Tax & Financing #3  
Good grief!! Sounds like you guys need to move from the NE. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I knew that they tax the pants off of you guys... but it sounds darn right ridiculous. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif Maybe I need to revisit my thoughts on Maryland being the Peoples Republic of Maryland and having some high taxes!! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Terry

/ Sales Tax & Financing #4  
I just filled up the auto...sticker on pump said 42 cents per gallon in taxes most of it Massachusetts.

/ Sales Tax & Financing #5  
yeh, live in CT and see what taxes are all about. but i would still rather live in ct instead of mass. you guys are stuck with that fool named ted kennedy ha ha ha ha ha . the only worst thing would be to live next door to jane (hanoi) fonda....tgello

/ Sales Tax & Financing #6  
Well....we might not have Jane (Hanoi) Fonda in our state, but don't forget that we are still saddled with Jane (notso) Swift as "acting" governor until the elections.

They don't call this "Taxachusetts" for nothing.

~Rick

/ Sales Tax & Financing #7  
if u boys don't pay enough tax come down to n.y. we have a surplus of taxws that u can take your pick of. we pay 8% where i live on everything but food and even some of that.

/ Sales Tax & Financing #8  
tegllo,

At least we don't have that Kmart girl living and breathing right next to us like you do in CT. She's a peach and a thorn rolled into one.

Live Free or Die,

Carl

/ Sales Tax & Financing #9  
I agree with Terry. Here in New York State, tractors may be a tax free purchase under certain circumstances based on purpose the tractor will be used for. But, you have to live in New York and the tractor has to be used on a commercial farm operation in New York. Big contingency for many but for some of us it comes to a big, tremendous savings....in my case about $2K. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Sales Tax & Financing #10  
<font color=blue>"...that Kmart girl...She's a peach and a thorn rolled into one."</font color=blue>

Bad news is I think I heard she's moving on from Kmart to haunt other popular do it yourself places like my favorite paint store Sherwin Williams.