Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #21  
Before I go much further I will say that both tractors were purchased with loaders and they were both removed as soon as I purchased the skidsteers. A loader on a tractor is a clumsy beast compared to a skidsteer.
I think it really depends on the tractor and the skid steer. I use my tractor around the house yard and driveway alot. A SS would just tear everything up. Second unless you are talking rather large SS there is no way a SS can dig like a tractor as they don't have the traction. At least the ones I've run just spin out. Sure they move loose material like nothing else can but to push a bucket into undisturbed dirt....no way. Then there is the ability to pull trailers and wagons to the field and connect and lift from the rear and oh yeh actually pull things like logs. I'm sure tracks improve all those things but for most all around uses a tractor my not be the best but it is versatile.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #22  
Skid steer and ctl's are awesome construction/landscape construction machines. They do however take a back seat to tractors in many respects. You dont see people boom spraying, finish mowing or fertilizing with them. They are very, very heavy. Their implements cost a fortune, they have no pto and rear visibility is a nightmare. Many tasks done as a gentlemen in a tractor (rototilling, york raking) have to be performed in reverse, no thankx!

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer
Thanks guys. I actually can see a use in my case for having one of each. The checkbook will preclude that so I'm now concentrating on CUT's. However, if a good, used SS comes my way, I will take a hard look.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #24  
Thanks guys. I actually can see a use in my case for having one of each. The checkbook will preclude that so I'm now concentrating on CUT's. However, if a good, used SS comes my way, I will take a hard look.

Much easier to find a good used CUT or UT that a "good used" skid. Most of the used skids are near death from construction work and they should be shot an buried! More humane that way....

jb

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #25  
I don't consider a 55HP tractor a big tractor at all. In fact I would call it a small utility. And unless you have a very large track steer a utility will easily out dig it. My experience is skid steers are fantastic at moving loose material fast but lack enough tractor to push into hard packed soil. And most steers are only about 1500lbs. lift capacity. Almost 1/2 that of a tractor. Again unless you get a really big steer that will set you back almost 6 figures.

Be careful comparing lift capacity figures between skid steers and CUTs. I don't know for sure but I believe the skid steers are rated more on what they can safely lift without tipping. Their loaders are actually much more powerful than the specs would indicate.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #26  
Be careful comparing lift capacity figures between skid steers and CUTs. I don't know for sure but I believe the skid steers are rated more on what they can safely lift without tipping. Their loaders are actually much more powerful than the specs would indicate.

Your right Island. It really depends on what apples and what oranges. My neighbor has a track steer that is a real moose. I saw that thing move a whole tree last Sunday from the storm that my tractor could barely make it quiver. On the other hand a 763 Bobcat can't lift as much as my Deere can.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #27  
I've operated the big Cat C Series MTL, which can, in actual field use, lift 5000 lbs and still move around without problems. It can dig to China in virgin clay or hardpan. Its essentially a small dozer.

Its also the same price as about 5 BX tractors nicely equipped. Maybe 6 and a good hunting dog. Not cheap...

IowaAndy

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #28  
I think skid's have something called "rated operating capacity" and "tipping load". Usually the ROC is less than a third of the tipping load. A skid can lift to its tipping load before it "tips" forward - the capacity can sometimes be increased by adding weights to the back.

I have not used skid's much but I would think that it's going to be more manouverable in the woods as it can turn tighter. It's also got a much lower center of gravity. In addition, it has more robust protection against branches and intrusion. Tracked machines also have good ground clearance and traction. I think a skid with a flail mower or front mounted rotary cutter would be superior brush clearing machine to a tractor/brush hog.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #29  
I think a skid with a flail mower or front mounted rotary cutter would be superior brush clearing machine to a tractor/brush hog.

No doubt but it would also cost at least twice as much. Flails for skidsteers cost upwards of 5K. You can put a lot of horsepower into a bush hog (or pto powered flail) with a CUT and back into brush very efficiently. For commercial brush clearing I'd agree the skidsteer with either flail or some other nasty front mounted cutter system would be quicker but for part time use the CUT offers more flexibility and gets the job done with much less investment. Also, the CUT can have two implements mounted at once (flail or bush hog plus grapple or bucket) while the skidsteer can mount only one at a time and there is no convenient way for a skidsteer to carry a second implement into the woods.