New and need some advice

/ New and need some advice #1  

tjse9006

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4044M, 825I
I've just bought 16 acres and going to need to clear some of it. I've been looking at tractors in the 25-30 HP range 4X4. I can't afford a new one so I've been loking at used ones. It's so confusing trying to pick out the right tractor. I seen this place in SC that sells roconditioned Mitsubishi's. The name of the place is Rineharts. They have the tractor I want at a good price if I meet them half way and pick it up (it comes with a trailer). Has anyone had any experience with these folks or have any advice for me. Thanks

/ New and need some advice #2  
What kind of tractor are you looking at?

I bought mine used with 70 hours on it (used by dealer). Reconditioned sounds like it has been used up quite a bit.

/ New and need some advice #4  
I drove 6 hours from VA and purchased my Montana 5740C from them. Mine was a dealer demo with about 60 hours on it. Hardly broken in. So far I love my Montana. While I was there, I noticed they had a lot of new Montana's and the reconditioned tractors. I thought they all looked good. They are back in the sticks below Columbia SC. I grew farming over 500 acres, but I've moved away and I am just starting to farm my own place. I have a kid and a baby on the way, so if I can save my family $3 I'm gonna do it. Anyway, enough justifying why I didn't buy local.....They had about 50 tractors on their lot. It wasn't anything fancy, no main street store. Just a house with an office added on, a mechanics shop and a field full of tractors. I told them on the phone after seeing the tractor on the internet that I wanted it as long as it was in as good of shape as they claimed. I too was leary mainly because I found it on internet. I also didn't wanna pull a trailer 6 hours and find a piece of junk. When I got there it looked great and so far I love my tractor. They very seemed reputable. I was very satisfied with them. I have had one problem with my tractor but my closest dealer fixed it under warranty. I had to have a bigger bolt for the cab mounts, no big deal. If I ever buy another tractor and I can afford one from the local dealer, I'd gladly buy from him. He has been really good to me even when I didn't buy my tractor from him. Also on the way home, the wife and I also stopped at the Concord Mills Outlet Mall and did some shopping on the way back. That was my compromise for getting a tractor and her going with me. It's more fun to go to the mall shopping when you have a new tractor on the trailer in the parking lot. Everyone should do that!!!! I also got a good deal on a pair of rock port dress shoes, so it was a win-win deal for the family. Good-Luck. I'd do it again.
Scott

/ New and need some advice #5  
After reading my post you see all the mistakes. I saved at least $3k going to SC. Mine was a dealer demo, so it wasn't re-manufactured. I'd don't know anyone who has bought a refurbished one. Can I ask how much your wanting to spend and what type of work you want done?

/ New and need some advice #7  
I've just bought 16 acres and going to need to clear some of it. I've been looking at tractors in the 25-30 HP range 4X4. I can't afford a new one so I've been loking at used ones. It's so confusing trying to pick out the right tractor. I seen this place in SC that sells roconditioned Mitsubishi's. The name of the place is Rineharts. They have the tractor I want at a good price if I meet them half way and pick it up (it comes with a trailer). Has anyone had any experience with these folks or have any advice for me. Thanks

Landclearing? I'd hire it done.. OR.. buy a used industrial TLB.. something like a ford 3xx, 4xx, or 5xx... use it to clear and dig the stumps and get it all close.. then sell it for what you paid for it give or take.. then buy your 30hp machine to maintain it.

landclearing is hard business on a CUT..

soundguy

/ New and need some advice #8  
Nothing wrong with a properly reconditioned Mitsu, but for land clearing you're gonna want a lot more weight than they have. If it's true land clearing, Soundguy is right, get or hire the right equipment. For moderate clearing you could get by with a CUT. But, I'd be looking for a heavy one with good hydraulics.

/ New and need some advice
Thanks for the help fellows. I guess I should clear things up a little. The landclearing is mostly briers and small sapplings, nothing heavy. After that I will be using it to work a small garden and mowing the grass etc. The deal I have is a reconditioned 25 hp Mitsu with a trailer, boxblade, brush cutter and post hole digger for $9800. I have to go to SC to pick it up. I will check into LMTC in the mean time. Thanks!

/ New and need some advice #10  
Have you looked into the smaller Kioti, mahindra, or Montana Machines? I would think for about $12,500 you could get about the same size tractor slightly used or even new. You might not be able to get all the equipment, but you could slowly acquire what you need. I know I would feel a little more comfortable buying new, slightly new, dealer demo, rather than buying remanufactured. I looked on tractorhouse.com and found some decent deals. This may be where you found yours the first time. If you could buy one of these that had a dealer close enough if you needed service.

2006 MONTANA 3040 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

2006 JOHN DEERE 790 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com
2007 KIOTI CK25 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com
2005 MAHINDRA 3510 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com
2005 MONTANA 2740 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com
2006 KUBOTA B7510DT Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com