Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #1  

Sukee

Anybody come down to these two tractors before deciding what to buy? If so, which one did you buy and why?

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1995 JD 870. I like the smaller frame size but would like a few more horsepower (and a new tractor!!!:)). Unsure if I'd go GST/PowerReverser (I prefer Kubota's GST) OR HST/ehydo (I prefer Deere's two pedal ehydo). If I go with Deere I may also move up to the 3720. The L3540 is Kubota's most powerful in that frame size, unfortunately.

I'm still not comfortable with the Deere's 3x20 series stability issues and the Kubota seems like more tractor for the buck. However I do like the layout/ergonomics of the Deere better.

Decisions, decisions. Any input would be welcome, especially from people who specifically compared these two models.

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #2  
I can't say on those models specifically, but if you spend hours in the seat at a time ergonomics are very important.

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #3  
3720. The L3540 is Kubota's most powerful in that frame size, unfortunately.

The L3940 is basically the same frame, there is a small difference, but side by side you can't really tell.

The Kubota has a much more advanced transmission, and typically more reliable to boot. Its hard to grasp what the Auto-Throttle and Auto-HDS are good for until you put them in a pile of dirt. Its amazingly effective, and not offered on a green tractor. The LA724 loader also lifts about 1600lbs in the bucket, to just over 1100 for the Deere 300CX (Both at bucket center, watchout! Deere cheats and uses alot of pivot pin figures to make it look like they compete here).

So I think you really nailed it. Your getting much more tractor for your money from Kubota. (Quality, Innovation, Value :))

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #4  
By the time you jump to the L3940 you might as well go with the L4240 and get the LA854 loader which lifts 1900 lbs. On paper the L3940 and L4240 are the same size.

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520
Yes, that is the problem! The L3940 is only a bit bigger then the L3540. But the L4240 is the same size as the L3940 but more powerful. Now I am at an L4240 and now I have to start comparing it to the JD 4x20 series. It can be a never-ending upward spiral!!!

I think I need to limit myself to the Kubota L3540 vs. John Deere 3520/3720 debate. I've been pretty happy with the size/power of my JD 870 - just need something a bit more capable. (Or take something to get rid of this new tractor urge I have!!!) :rolleyes:

Weather permitting, I hope to stop by the dealer(s) tomorrow morning and drive both (again!).

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #6  
I looked and compaired both a while back. Both were the cab models. The thing that I disliked about the deere was the cx300 loader was made in china and the hood was plastic. I also thought the cab was not as big inside as the kubota. The 3pt hitch on the kubota has a much larger stronger lift arms with external cylinders (like the big tractors have). I really think you get way more for your money with the kubota in this size tractors. The front tires on the deere seemed a bit small too and I have a lot of rough land to go over so that also went into account in my going ahead with kubota. Not saying the deere is not a great tractor just saying for the money kubota wins hands down.

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #7  
Have you looked at any other brands? Mahindra, Kioti, Montana? I was looking at Deere, Kubota, and Montana for a 60hp tractor. Mainly closest dealers to me. I ended up getting the Montana because the value. I'm very pleased. I got a Montana 5740 Cab with FEL for 26k this time last year. I saved about 8K and I actually liked it better than both the others.

Good Luck

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #8  
The 3540 is a very nice machine, i purchased one in april, no regrets!

/ Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #9  
Have you looked at any other brands? Mahindra, Kioti, Montana? I was looking at Deere, Kubota, and Montana for a 60hp tractor. Mainly closest dealers to me. I ended up getting the Montana because the value. I'm very pleased. I got a Montana 5740 Cab with FEL for 26k this time last year. I saved about 8K and I actually liked it better than both the others.

Good Luck

I also looked last year at the Kubota and JD before buying a Kioti DK40se. 41hp. Lots more loader capacity (2700lbs at pp), modern design and features (electrohydraulic PTO and 4wd), 2 pedal HST and it cost about $6000-$7000 less than the comparable JD (3720) or Kubota (L3940). These "second tier" machines from Kioti, Montana and Mahindra are very solid values and worth looking at especially if the dealer in your area is well established.

Attachments

• IMG_5603smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5603smallfile.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 993
   / Kubota L3540 vs. Deere 3520 #10  
Just one correction. I know for a fact that a jd 300cx loader will lift at least 1600lbs in the bucket. I've got a 60" steel lawn roller that froze one year and cracked(yeah I forgot to drain it). Anyway I filled it with 23 bags of readimix at 80lbs per bag(23x80=1840lbs). Well come to find out the factory hitch on the roller couldn't handle the weight of the newly improved roller and basically twisted it like a pretzel. I had to pick it up in the bucket to move it to the garage so I could fab a new hitch. Now I doubt if it would lift it to full height, but I did have it about 3ft off the ground before the pucker factor kicked in. I didn't have any weight on the back of the 3720 cab other than the filled r3's(turfs). I was amazed at how much power it had.

Last edited: