Looking for a Survey Transit

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #1  

Maker102

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010 w/FEL
Hi I know all of you have helped before and I am hoping you can help again. I am looking for a Transit or Building Level. I would like it to include a tripod, target, laser, self leveling and have around 20x optics. I know that Lowes carries them but am looking for something a little cheaper than $550.00. Does anyone know of a web site that has them or where to look for a classifieds for it? I have a friend with a Case 1150D crawler and we are planning some serious ground moving in the next week or so. Thanks in advance for your help again.

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #2  
Try harborfreight.com they sell CST Berger transits and are competitive on pricing. Two more sites are northerntool.com and toolcrib.com. Tool Crib caters more toward construction. The price you quoted doesn't seem that bad for a laser transit.

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #3  
Have you looked into renting? I've seen them at decent rental yards and as much as I'm a huge tool junkie I'd have a hard time justifying that much cash for a rather limited use tool. Just a thought /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #4  
Just checked a Northern sale catalog. They have an SAL 24X Auto Level kit (not a laser) for $379.99, item #155214-c166. I couldn't find my Tool Crib catalog. If you are digging a pond you will need a longer sighting rod than the 8' offered. Get at least a 16' rod. One of those lasers would be nice, then I wouldn't need a helper every time I shoot a grade.

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #6  
marker, the tool crib has quit a bit and some good prices. i bought a rotory laser and tripod and it was over 150. dollars cheaper than anywhere else i priced them. also free shipping on orders over $199. tool crib is part of amazon.com....tgello

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #7  
Ebay is loaded with em!!

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #8  
If you really want to save money you can do it with a water level. I have a 100 foot roll of 3/8s tubing I use for leveling mobile homes that also works well for shooting a grade. When you go to use it, buy a gallon of windshield washer fluid. It's only a buck and it makes the level a lot easier to see.

/ Looking for a Survey Transit #9  
I have recently seen a DeWalt laser for around 495. The really cool thing about it, (besides the laser) is that it runs off of the 24volt battery that goes with all of their other 24volt tools. If they would come out with the 18 volt model, I'd go for it, since I have some of those already.