Is it extravagant?

/ Is it extravagant? #21  
Steve,

Not a lot to add to whats already been said, but after days and months of talking about a new one, she said OK just go get one, but make it a good one, cause it's the last one.

This was after 2 other tractors and she was a tractor widow when I retired to the garage to repair and restore them.

Regarding the "last one" thats yet to be seen, but I'm happy for at least the next few years.

By the way, I see you're just down the road in Ma. If you're looking at JD they have an open house at Rosencrantz on Saturday & Sunday - Rt 108 in Kensington NH. I heard they might have the new 110TLB there and since I'm heading that way to Sams Club I was going to check it out.

If you're thinking Orange, let me know as some are more flexible than the others.

Carl

/ Is it extravagant? #22  
"Buy it for her for her birthday and tell her you'll be very hurt if she wants to return it"

Oh Ya, I know a guy that bought his wife a weed whacker for her Birthday. She didn't say a thing about it. On his birthday she bought him a dress and a purse....... Tom

/ Is it extravagant? #23  
Is spending 20+-K on a piece of equipment that you have no intention on ever making a penny on extravagant???
Well, the answer is YES!!!
Yes, it is extravagant. It IS extravagant!
Geez, all you guys trying to justify to this guy something that can’t be economically justified.
ALL the money you are going to save this guy.
You guys sound like stock brokers!
Would someone please step up and be honest by telling this guy that the reason many of us plunked down this type of cash is simply because WE CAN.
For some reason we have set priorities that owning a tractor is important.
Some guys buy boats, or campers, or PU trucks, sleds etc. Some guys buy all of those things.
Some guys just want to own a freeking TRACTOR.
I say to Mr. Haz,
You want a tractor? You saved enough money to buy a tractor, you lay there in bed at night thinking about a tractor…
Tell your wife your going to buy a [censored] tractor.
If you have taken care of all of your obligations to your family there is not a reason not to pull the trigger.
Bash Me Now.
The CT Pilgrim.

/ Is it extravagant? #24  
Pilgrim-

<font color=blue>Bash Me Now.</font color=blue>

Ok - just a little though.... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>Geez, all you guys trying to justify to this guy something that can’t be economically justified.</font color=blue>

Well, for me, it really was cheaper to buy a tractor. To make a long story short, if I took my property out of Agriculture Production, the State of Texas adjusts your tax rate from "Ag Production Value" to standard property tax rates. On top of that, they require that you pay 5 yrs. of "back taxes" on the property at the new adjusted rate. In other words, if you buy a farm or ranch and then turn it into a parking lot or the such, the state hammers you in taxes.

My tractor with all the implements, which is what is required for me to keep my place in the type of Ag production I wish to go after, was multiple thousands less than the retro-tax burden, not to mention the tax burden going forward.

'course, I guess I wouldn't have this problem if I didn't buy the place, so I guess your original point of "...the reason many of us plunked down this type of cash is simply because WE CAN." still applies.... Oh well, so much for rebuttal! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Is it extravagant? #25  
STEPHEN: is it extravagant? i don't think so. for years i had an old ford tractor, it did not do all that i wanted , but it sufficed. it was a bear to steer, and all the clutching and braking and yanking on the steering wheel was taking its toll on my old body. plus there was no live hydraulics on it so that was a pain.about 15 mo ago i bought a kubota b2400 and life has been so much easier, can do more and much easier. go for it.

/ Is it extravagant? #26  
Hazmat,
When it boils right down to it most things we buy could be considered extravagant. Take you house people years ago lived in far smaller houses, I'm quite sure we could do the same today but life is too short. The wife and I try to be prudent and save for the future and the kids college but we do get somethings for the simple reason (We Want It). My tractor is not only a tool it a sence of pride. Bottom line a really wanted one and went for it/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have not regreted it for a second. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

/ Is it extravagant? #27  
Just buy it...It's always easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission! ;)

/ Is it extravagant? #28  
Try and make her feel real comfortable about the tractor use on the 4 acres..projects,snow removeal etc..Have your wife read some post on TBN.
If that doesn't work give your wife 11 roses and tell her she the 12th rose. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Is it extravagant?
Carl_NH I'd be interested in your recommendation for orange. I've been to MB in Plaitstow. I also checked out New Hollands at Chappell in Brentwood, he said he had another store in Milford that also sold Kubota. I was at Rosencrantz's plaitstow open house last weekend. If I can, I'll go again this weekend. None of the places gave me great prices, but then I did NOT have my checkbook in hand & no negotiation took place. Chappel gave me the best impression, followed by Rosencrantz & then MB (not that they were terrible, just not as good). MB seems to have a ton of overhead tied up in their huge new showroom & all the equipment on the lot.

I believe that I'm making progress. Last night we reached an agreement that the 1978 JD 316, while a fine machine, isn't a good match for the property and our uses. I've been tasked to find something in between the $2K lawn tractor & $16K 4110. I've interpreted this assignment to mean I need to do a cost benifit analysis of all the machines I feel will do what I want (some quicker than others). The goal being to show that if we spent a bit more now, it will be "the last one".

So I'm setting up a spreadsheet comparing the JD X595, 4010. 4110, Kubota BX2200, NH TC18 & TC21D. I didn't include the bigger 'botas because I want a suspended mowing deck (I think the NH have that, correct me if I'm wrong). Are there any other tractors I should be looking at? Anybody have 3ph & loader lift capacity on the X595?

Hazmat

PS I got her a snow shovel for Christmas & she loved it, of course she has never used it, but does enjoy the cleared walk.

/ Is it extravagant? #30  
Hazmat
My old pappy use to tell me "when you've made the sale, say thank you and get out". Sounds to me like you really already sold the CFO so continued discussions could point out potential new objections that she hasn't tought of yet. Women will forever roll their eye's at us boys and our toys-oops-I mean tools.