Is it extravagant?

/ Is it extravagant? #31  
Interesting thread.

After a couple years of thinking about it, I recently bought a new (well, new to me) tractor to replace my Ford 9N. I finally found something that met or exceeded my needs that I could pay cash for.

Personally, I didn't want to go into debt to buy a tractor that I could admitedly get along without. IMHO, I couldn't tell my wife or myself that "I can afford this" if I had to borrow money to buy it.

Everybody has a different comfort level with taking on debt. I think that many women like the "safety net" of having some savings. Perhaps this is a factor in the reluctance of many spouses from giving the thumbs up?

/ Is it extravagant?
Good point about the loan. An investment professional will tell you that if you can borrow the money cheap enough (low interest rate) you should leave your savings invested. I fall somewhere in between. I have some savings set aside which I will liquidate for this purchase, rather than financing 100%.

Hazmat

/ Is it extravagant? #33  
Consider these thoughts from one wrestling with irrational rationalization of such a technically non-justifiable (extravagant) outlay (I'm trying to stretch for a PT2445!!):

1) List the potential costs of subbing out the jobs to be done.

2) What is the cost of postponing such satisfying productivity?

3) If it makes you a truely happier person, what is that worth?

My two cents worth is to keep planting the hint seeds until it becomes her idea./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.
You are, after all, talking about a very healthy obsession/addiction here!

(for additional insights go to the "What do women want???" thread in the "off topic and just for fun" forum.)

Good luck in your negotiations!!

/ Is it extravagant? #34  
Hazmat,

Talking about financing... another alternative route is to take a second loan on your house.

The interest rates are sometimes lower than a loan from the dealer and you get an additional benefit - you can deduct the interest on your income tax.

There are many ways to skin this cat. What it really boils down to is what is you comfort level on:

- convincing the CFO
- total cost (always more than you first thought!!)
- cost of operation
- what are the benefits (real and derived)
- ROI (return on investment) in most cases our tractors really hold their value due to the amount of hours we put on them.

Have we convinced you yet!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Terry

/ Is it extravagant?
I'm convinced, just finished up my homework comparing the various tractors. Here is my order of preference with pricing (assuming 10% off list plus rebates)

4110 $16,850
4010 $14,456
TC21D $16,955
TC18 $14,400 (estimate)
BX2200 $13,023
X595 $15,908 (deisel)
X575 $14,270 (gas engine !!)

I can't get over how much Deere wants for the X tractors. Their 3ph capacity is very weak too (450# at lift arms). Not close to a fair fight with the BX2200. Loader spec is similar They do win the mobility contest.

I'm going to present my report to the CFO tonight.

Hazmat

/ Is it extravagant?
Forgot to mention that all are priced with Loader, ballast box, 60" MMM R4 tires (where available) folding rops.

Hazmat

/ Is it extravagant? #37  
ok...mine went like this:

Wife: Hey, hon, whats that guy doing in our driveway?
Me: Oh, that must be John from Industrial Equipment delivering my tractor! Yeehaa!

Wife: what tractor?
Me: The one I bought last week.

Wife: You bought a tractor? Whats wrong with the Cub you bought last year?
Me: The Cub? Oh, I sold it two days ago to my brother. Didn't need it since I bought the tractor.

Wife: Silence......
Me: Well, hon, look at it like this. I could have spent the money at a bar or on some other woman, or gambled it away, but I figger its better spent on something I can do around here. You want to go out and drive it?

Wife: Silence.....

She's gotten used to it, though she really doesn't understand why i like it so much. But she can come out and get me any time she wants...cuz she knows right where i am.

/ Is it extravagant? #38  
I did something similar about 7 years ago when I traded my Chevy S10 4x4 Ext Cab in on a K1500. I did it all on my own and just drove the truck home and parked it in the driveway. I will never do that again. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Even though the truck has been invaluable for many chores, most of them related to her favorite activites, e.g., horses, gardening, it matters not. There have only been two things I have purchased w/o consulting her, the aforementioned truck and a 35 mm SLR camera right after we were married. The camera purchase occurred when I was young(er) and stupid(er). I should have known better with the truck. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Is it extravagant? #39  
Stephen,

I looked around at all the local dealers Mears, Rosencrantz, as well Cub dealers, and then did some comparisons on line. I ended up with East Elliot Garage in Elliot Me, just over the bridge in Me. Larry is the owner, and that's who you deal with, no BS just made an offer and he accepted. I was happy and presume he was too.

We had a relaitonship already, and I had been looking around, and knew what I wanted to pay, it was done.

From reading your recent posts, looks like you have a price and equipment target, so if I were you I would look at the best deal (comparable tractors and features) then the dealer and relationship.

Regarding Chappell they are good people and a good reputation, likewise Rosencrantz. My feeling is Rosencrantz is a little higher than a comparable Orange or Blue machine..

So, if it was my $ I would probably look at Orange for value for $, then NH, and if you want a JD then go for it, but have some bargaining chips (alternate comparisons) in your pocket when doing the final deal. They are all good machines, it just depends on what you want..

Good luck with the CFO tonight,

Carl

/ Is it extravagant? #40  
For what it's worth, Cub is also making a "BX fighter". I saw one while driving by the local dealer today, but didn't have time to stop and check it out or ask about pricing.