Is it extravagant?

/ Is it extravagant?
Hey gang,

Conclusion: It is extravagant, but we CAN afford it, it will make the yard work quicker & make me happy. I've gotten approval for a JD 4010 from the CFO /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Woo Hoo!

She appreciated that I wouldn't go and buy one without her approval. She is concerned about what I will want next. Guess I'll have to go on a spending hiatus for the sake of marital bliss. Oh, and of course, now I ONLY love /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif her because she "let" me get the tractor.

I thought this was an appropriate time to learn how to use the smiley faces. next up is a signature.

Time to start negotiating with the dealer

Hazmat

/ Is it extravagant? #42  
After I bought my tractor several people came to me with ideas on how I could make money with it. First of all, I didn't buy it to make money. I bought it so I could get chores done on our 9 acre property. Secondly, I have barely have time to use it now, with 2 jobs and a 10 month old baby. Why do some people just seem to want to pervert everything by associating it with making money. I bought my pickup for my own personal use, not so I could start my own moving company, and I bought my Troy-Bilt rototiller so I could have a nice garden, and I bought the tractor so I could get jobs done and spend more time with my family.

/ Is it extravagant? #43  
Frank, some people have done work with their tractors and charged a fee. It is one way to justify the purchase of additional implements which you might not otherwise justify (a backhoe would be one example). I don't think people are trying to "pervert everything" by making suggestions. I have done many favors for different neighbors as a goodwill gesture but have also accepted money from strangers that needed work done. Just my opinion.

Bill C

/ Is it extravagant? #44  
Hey Frank! You can send those people who want you to make money to me, cause that is exactly why I'm buying a tractor! Well, granted, there is a little more to it than just making money - but that's the main reason.

I'm going to get my tractor when I retire so that I can start my own part time rough cut mowing service. I've always wanted to do this, but for all the normal reasons, I had to wait until now.

Anyway, since the CEO/CFO/BOSS agreed with my idea, we realized that there wasn't room on our puny little in town lot to house the beast. Sooooo, we're planning on building our "compound" in the country on 10 - 20 acres.

Hmmmm /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif. I just realized that if we have that large of place, I'll be doing all those chores you mentioned, except the baby thing (been there - done that!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif) and I may not have the time to do my part time business!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Thanks a lot Frank!! You ruined my dream!! /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Glad you've got a good sense of humor Frank! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Is it extravagant? #46  
Stephen -

Boondox makes a good point - one I've heard from a buddy of mine more than once:

"Buy what you want the first time, you may only get one chance"

At our place, CFO has given approval, but I can't find the "right one" yet.

Good Luck

/ Is it extravagant? #47  
HAzmat -

Guess I should have kept reading before I jumped in. Congrats on the purchase.

/ Is it extravagant?
Wow, made it onto the "hot discussion topics" on the homepage.

Thanks again everybody for the advice.

I've started getting quotes from local dealers. Nobody seems able to tell me a solid delivery date for the 4010. Might HAVE /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif to step up to the 4110.

/ Is it extravagant? #49  
I told the old gal that it was a tractor or we move into a condo. She said no and I handed her the shovel. We bought a tractor the next week.

/ Is it extravagant? #50  
billfres,

The one thing that I have the least of most (with money being a close second), is time. I'm lucky if I get 2 hours of tractor time a week. I'm just becoming a bitter ol' bastard! I did manage to scrap my dirt driveway last night (and promptly turn it into a muddy mess!), but it was fun.