Is it extravagant?

/ Is it extravagant? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Sorry if this posts twice, I tried once, but now don't see it.

Hi gang,

I'm getting closer to convincing the CFO that we should purchase a tractor. Last night she said "Why are we even talking about this, you know you are going to end up buying one anyway" I'm looking at a 4110 Hydro, FEL, 60" MMM. We have 4 acres, 1.75 lawn, rest forest & wetland.

She is sold on the utility of the tractor, but thinks its extravagant since it costs what her car did. Any tips on convincing her? I've had her out to the dealer to test drive, she sure liked the power steering :)

Hazmat

/ Is it extravagant? #2  
you have to appeal to the projects that she would be interested in. Gardens ,lanscape,etc. The only problem with that is then you have to follow up on said projects after the purchase.. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Also If you rent or hire a tractor those prices could add up to a good percentage of the purchase. If and when you sell the tractor your depreciation will probably be less than the total cost of rentals (for all projects). You have the tractor available anytime, anyday. No restrictions on weather,etc. There were times that I rented a tractor and worked in slop because the rental period was up in a day. No more now I just park the tractor and finish the job when the weather clears /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Is it extravagant? #3  
Hazmat-

Not sure about the dynamics in your household, but I can tell you about mine a little bit. These are some of the things I used before my purchase. See if these “make sense.” for you /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

1) Make sure to explain that the life of a quality tractor is MUCH longer than that of a quality car. Not sure about you, but most folks get rid of their car by the time it hits 100,000 miles. Some may go to 150,000, but the average bear doesn't seem to keep it much past that.

My father is still using his JD 300 he bought new about 25 years back - a few minor repairs along the way (as with anything), but a solid machine - the neighbors down the road -- well, without mentioning brands (they've tried several), they've gone thru about 5 tractors in the same time frame (and got rid of them because they kept breaking - not because they wanted the "new model").

2) Point out the quality and engineering that goes in to these things now days - that in many ways, they are just as complex as some of today's cars. Again, without being specific to brands, there are definitely "disposable" tractors (like my dad's neighbors) and then there are the ones like you are looking at. Point out the attention to detail - even things like metal gauge which is easy to understand why "thicker is better" - can impact someone who isn't "in to" tractors.

3) Tell her that it bugs you to spend so much money. (It did me!) But there are some definite financial pluses. (The “disposable tractor” issue above is a good one, but the tax ramifications of NOT getting a tractor would have KILLED me on true “out of pocket” expenses.)

4) Explain about the possibility you could get rid of it without losing your shirt if you fell on financially hard times or decided you TRULY didn’t need it. (Explain that you seriously doubt either of these would happen, but at least you are trying to look at the “big picture” and aren’t painting yourself in to any corners.)

5) Be honest - tell her you WANT it! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Point out that yes, you could live without a tractor, but that there's a lot of stuff around the house you could have lived without as well that you got "just because" and you're glad you did. If it isn't going to jeopardize your retirement, make you miss other financial commitments you've made, or cause other real "problems", then why not?

Most times when I've taken the time to explain to my spouse MY reasoning, even if she doesn't have the enthusiasm that I might have, she at least understands where I am coming from and seems to appreciate that I "reason things through" and take the time to make sure she's OK with it.

Good luck! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Is it extravagant? #4  
Stephen -- Before getting my first tractor (Kubota B1750HST) I tried to justify it to the CFO on the basis of utility. How much more work it would let me accomplish, how much less I would need her help in moving bulky/heavy items, what I could do to the garden, forest, etc. Didn't change her mind one bit!

What it finally came down to was my peace of mind. I told her to think of it as my land yacht. That was something she could understand, and since then she has smiled tolerantly as she sees me out there having a wonderful time. She even makes appreciative noises when I improve the garden, transplant trees, crown the road, regrade the driveway, etc. But in her heart she still thinks of tractors as boy toys.

One thing that pleasantly surprised my wife was the resale value of our original tractor. The B1750 brought $500 more than we paid for it when it came time to trade up to the L3010. She couldn't argue with that one bit!

Just don't fall into the trap of getting what you can afford instead of what you really want!

Pete

/ Is it extravagant? #5  
hazmat,

Both Paul and Ranchman have summed it up very well.

My experience was a combination of the two. We had the added benefit of using the tractor for our Market Gardening business. So, there is an added benefit of being able to depreciate the tractor.

The proof of the pudding is you only know what the real benefits are until you have it delivered and you begin to use it. It has increased our productivity manifold (as you can guess). We have also discovered many new projects which can be done quickly and easily. It is amazing at what my wife suggests. And even better, I can get them done for her. To use a business phrase - value added!!

Good luck.

Terry

/ Is it extravagant? #6  
hazmat, honesty is the best. state your case, and if its meant to be it will happen. no kicking and whining!!!! i wanted to get a new tractor ,but also wanted a new f350 super duty. talked it over with my better half and she said we couldnt afford both so we came to a conclusion that the tractor would be more productive. she said as long as you can pay for it ,go and get one. she is the voice of reason. thank god some one in the family is....tgello

/ Is it extravagant?
Thanks for the support guys, I suppose my original post was 1/2 venting my frustration, 1/2 seeking advice. I have been honest with her, it is more of a WANT than a need.

I don't think the land yacht plan will work for me, I have too many hobbies already - skiing, hiking & kayaking.

I think it comes down to a philisophical differance: I'm happy to go to work, save some money & then use it to do something. (all within reason, I do set aside a good chunk of money for the future). She is happy when the money is in the bank.

So far we've been able to find common ground. When we bought the house, it was a bit more than we first bugeted, but it has all the space we will ever need & we won't have to trade up when we have kids. When I bought a new truck, it actually ended up being a slightly used truck (still under warranty) to save some bucks (wish I could get the same deal on a used tractor, but I can't seem to find any close by). She understands the value of quality tools, she wants crown molding throughout the house, I said, we need to get a nail gun (already had the compressor) the job will go faster & look better she agreed. Hopefully she will come around and understand that the tractor is an expensive tool, that is very usefull & happens to be loads of fun too.

With a little more time (but before the financing & rebate specials are over) I think we can reach an agreement on this too.

I've tried to not comprimise on what I want for price considerations which is why I'm looking at the smaller compacts vs. the sub compacts.

Hazmat

/ Is it extravagant? #8  
hazmat, the wife told me it was time to get a new truck (1991 Ford Ranger 170,000 miles). I went and priced new one ton 4wd pickups and was blown away by prices ($25-30,000). I told her before I would spend that much money I would buy a backhoe. She laughed hysterically and 2 days later realized I was serious. We talked and agreed that life is short and to wait, well it might never come. Have been using machine around the house and have done a few side jobs as well. Also the tractor can be a wonderful stress reliever as well. I was looking at new Kubotas (L3010) and had a NH 1920 with 72 hours fall into my lap. It was bigger but has worked out well. The one thing I had to pay cash vs. the good financing deals available now. Hope this helps.

Bill C

Bill C

/ Is it extravagant? #9  
<font color=blue>I'm happy to go to work, save some money & then use it to do something. (all within reason, I do set aside a good chunk of money for the future).</font color=blue>

I'm like you on that one. Without going in to detail, based on my "life experiences", I decided a while back that the old adage "you can't take it with you" is a very profound statement.

Yup - save "for tomorrow" but, (not meaning to get heavy here /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif) you really never know what tomorrow may bring - so live life to the fullest every day. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Is it extravagant? #10  
This is quite a departure from all of the other replies, but so far, my wife is behind me 100%.

I don't have my tractor yet, and probably won't get it for at least another year (or more /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif). It's in the plan for when I retire.

Anyway, quite awhile back, we were discussing what we wanted to do after I retire. We've talked about expanding our part time art gallery into a full time operation, taking 6 months to 1 year off for traveling, building our compound in the country, etc. All of a sudden, she asks what would I do if it were only me? Oh, Oh I think, here comes some REALLY bad news! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif When I asked her why she asked it that way, she said that in all of our discussions, almost everything that we were discussing were really the things that she wanted to do. She said that it never dawned on her until just then that I had never really suggested something that I wanted to do, other than play golf - which is a given! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

I replied that all the things that we had been discussing were things that I wanted to do, BUT if I were by myself, I would get my tractor and start my part time tractor field mowing/hauling/post hole digging/excavation, etc. service.

She was floored!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif She asked why I had never mentioned this before. I explained that I knew basically what the start up costs would be, and I knew with the kids and everything else that comes along with that, we couldn't afford it. She said that she didn't know what to say, because it was such a surprise.

The next day she said to me that if that's what I wanted to do, she would be 100% behind me and would do everything she could to help me get it. She went on to say that for all the years she'd been working with her business, that I'd always been there for her and I never had complained about what we needed to do to make her business a success. She even went on to say that I had been the one that had sacrificed more than she throughout the years, and that it was pay back time!

I didn't exactly plan it that way, but it sure did work out pretty good! Oh yeah - she's taken and you can't have her! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif And yes, she does have a sister - but she's married with 3 small kids.