Tracto Options Question

/ Tracto Options Question #1  

JonLeonard

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410
Ive been lurking here for over a year now and still dont have a tractor. Our riding mower decided to die yesterday, so depending on what it costs to repair it, I may now have the perfect reason to buy the tractor we need, but cant really afford.

I looking for a tractor in the 25-30 hp range, with a FEL and mower (hopefully mid mount as thats what Im used to). I did some reseach last night and found that the hydro transmission adds about $1500-2000 to the cost of a tractor on the green, orange and blue. Thats a bunch of money that I dont have.

What I need to know, is...are any value priced tractors available that use a geared transmission that allow shifting while you are moving, including changing between forward and reverse? I would potentially be interested in non-major brands such as Cub, Kioti or Massey if anyone can supply information. Another feature that I'd really like to have is a PTO that continues to turn even if the tractor is not moving (live?).

Thanks for any information,

Jon

/ Tracto Options Question #2  
Hi Jon,

Boy, you're asking a question that will yield about 1,000 different answers. If I were going to answer it for myself, I'd say take a look at the NH TC30. I'm looking at it real hard myself. But I think you might need to provide a little more info., such as your price range, what do you want the tractor to do for you besides mow, etc.

A good place to start would be in the Tractor Information section at the top of the page. You can go there and review different machines in the same HP range. By the way, you won't find the TC30 there. You'll need to go to the NH web site for that.

Good luck on your search.

P.S. Here's a link to the NH site for the TC30 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.newholland.com/na/spotlight/spotlight.htm>New Holland TC30</A>

/ Tracto Options Question #3  
JonLeaonard,

When looking at tractors, a good approach is to take everything into consideration. There are pro's and con's to manual and hydro transmissions. Also, JD has another option which is in between the hydro and manual trannies. Can't remember the exact name amd terminology. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Go to each dealer, talk to the salesguys, kick the tires, and test drive each model. This will give you a feel of the differences in handling. Also, $1500 over 60 months is $25 a month. If you're talking 25-30hp and end up with the higher hp model, you're looking at $20k plus of tractor.

Again, look at your needs, consider you wishes, and then make an informed decision.

Terry

/ Tracto Options Question #4  
<font color=blue>are any value priced tractors available that use a geared transmission that allow shifting while you are moving, including changing between forward and reverse?</font color=blue>

That depends on what you mean by moving. If you mean shifting gears without coming to a dead stop, the answer is yes. You might want to check around in your area for any Long, Kioti, Mahindra, or Branson dealers. The only thing these brands don't offer is the mid mount mower. I purchased a Long Landtrac 360 DTC, 36hp 4wd, with a FEL and a backhoe for $22,000. The closest I could come to that price in a JD was a 20 hp for $2000 more.

<font color=blue>Another feature that I'd really like to have is a PTO that continues to turn even if the tractor is not moving (live?).</font color=blue>

That feature is pretty much standard, I believe even the chinese tractors have live PTO

/ Tracto Options Question #5  
Jon,

For value check out the Kubota L3000, except for the shifting (you can shift on the move but not for fwd/rev)this should work quite well for a good solid basic unit. Will handle a hoe if that's in your future as well.

Prices probably in the $15K maybe less pending rebates with a MMM and loader. Has live PTO and Pwr Steering standard.

Carl

/ Tracto Options Question #6  
Hy John:
I am currently awaiting delivery of our new N. H. TC29, 9x3 gear tranny, with live PTO ( i.e. $12,975 for the tractor, $2,500 for Woods 1012 FEL and $5,500 for a Woods 7500 Backhoe ) This tractor sounds like what your looking for.
However ther is a differance between a live PTO using a two stage clutch. That disengages the tranny when you push The clutch in half way and both the PTO and the tranny when you push the clutch in all the way. And an independant PTO that runs the PTO completely seperate of the drive clutch. Usually engaged by a seperate Electric solonoid switch or manual lever. This is a nice feature that comes standard on the Long LandTrac series. And I beleive Kioti, Mahindra, Branson and the new JD ten series also offer it.
I looked long and hard at the Long LandTracs (Pun intended) before purchasing, seemed like a great tractor for the value. Ifit hadn't been close to 100 miles to my nearest dealer, I'm sure I would have gone that route.

/ Tracto Options Question #7  
just remember that a 30 hp tractor might not take care of all your mowing needs, it might be to big, which means u will still need a lawnmower.and if u are going to do any fel work u will find that hst is the way to go. u really need to check them all out and see which ones will be best for your needs.

/ Tracto Options Question #8  
Welcome to TBN.

You might want to take a look at the Power Trac line<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com> by clicking here </A>. Powerful, affordable, easy to drive, 30 - 40 implements to choose from, full time 4 wheel drive, great on hills, made in Tazewell, VA (your neck of the country) and an incredible quick change system for implements that can not be beat by anything. This ads up to time savings and no knuckle busting, so you can be super productive. Of course, I'm biased /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif because I own one, the PT425. I use it on my 1.1 acre lot and on our 20 acre property and am very satisfied so far.

I agree with the others; you should go test driving. Drive as many different makes, models and HP ranges, as well as different weights and get a feel for what machines will do what you want. And come back to TBN often and ask lots of questions and post your observastions of the test drives that you took.