What to but hydo, shuttle or gear

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #1  

RCS32881

Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I am looking to buy a new tractor. I know I want about a 40 hp tractor to run my 6ft brush hog. for some land clearing and to keep up with the sides of the fields. The other things I will be doing with this tractor are
-snow removal
-loader work making and fixing log roads on my property.
-some farm work plowing and disking
-also yearly fire wood with the ocasional loging on my own propery.
I would like some help on if the hydros can with stand the pulling of logs and plows every year. Or should I opt for gear drive/shuttle.
I want to do some side work with the loader on odd jobs.

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #2  
Go hydro. They are up to the task. You will be down about 5% on power compared to the gear trans. It's well worth it for loader work. I use mine for pulling logs and the ability to ease into it or slow down with just the foot is really nice.

jb

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #3  
Go hydro.

I'll second that. The only task outlined where gear has any advantage at all is in plowing/disking. With a 40hp tractor, gear or hst, you would end up with a two bottom plow (?2x14) regardless so even there it makes little practical difference. For the other tasks hydro is an advantage.

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #5  
Hydro for FEL work and snow removel although you can get by with shuttle shift. Hydro is so much easyier.

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #6  
I have a shuttle shift Kubota 4310 my FIL has a hydro 4310 Ill take the shuttle anyday for most tasksI can load fast and I dont have to shift ranges when I am brushhogging , just move shifter lever and I like the gas pedal too. V

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #7  
Gear, hydro or the (gear)shuttle will ALL do the tasks you mention.

Asking which is better is like asking who here's wife is prettier.. or what football team is best.. or what car manufacturer is best... etc...

If you plan on doing lots of loader work.. lean on the upgrade transmission options.. shuttle or hydro.. there will be a money premium paid for not pressing a clutch and shifting a gear lever.

soundguy

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #8  
I tend to agree with Soundguy, however, I am biased toward the shuttleshift. With the shuttleshift you get the advantage of shifting gears on the fly without clutching including forward to reverse and back again like for loader work, but you have no power loss like in the hydrostatic drive units. IMO, it is the best of both combined into one. Some would also say that shuttleshift is less prone to repairs especially if you plan to do lots of heavy pulling. It has been voice/ argued here on this forum that overheating of the hydrostatic tractors occurs when pulling heavy soil engaging implements. Some say never, others say all the time. I guess it depends on the brand of your tractor, but I have not seen anyone on this forum complain about shuttle shift transmissions from any brand.

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #9  
I have a gear model TC 30. I seldom do a lot of FEL work, so gear works fine for me. However, if I was doing lots of FEL work, I am sure I'd get real tired of shifting real quick.

/ What to but hydo, shuttle or gear #10  
I prefer the shuttle. I haven't found anything I couldn't do with it. If I was running a commercial business then I'd look at hydro.