Used John Deere or New Mahindra

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #1  

Cocre

Gold Member
Tractor
'06 John Deere 3320
Ok, here's the deal. The wife has given me permission to buy a tractor. It has come down between two units, a new Mahindra 2615 HST with a FEL and BH or a used 2006 eHydro John Deere 3320 with a FEL(300x) and BH(447). The Deere has 185 hours on it, has been maintained by the dealer, and has some portion of the drive train warranty remaining. The quoted price for each unit is the same, ~$21,000. Money is available for the Mahindra at 0% and from a personal source for the Deere at 6%.

I have 10 acres of mostly wooded land and I intend to open up a couple of acres to expand my muscadine vine and general gardening areas. The BH will be used to dig up stumps and dig ditches, the FEL for maintaining the driveway. Small farm implements, plows and such, will also be used. No MMM, but a Bush Hog type mower will be utilized.

The old 8N will get a well deserved break.

Which way should I go? Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #2  
as much as I like deere I think I would go with the mahindra with the full warrenty.
The john deere has a little more engine hp, but the pto hp is just about the same. They are close to the same size tractors.
The backhoes specifications are the same.
For what you are doing I think you will be fine with the mahindra. But if you like the deere by all means get it. They are both good units from what I hear.
Good luck and get either one before the boss changes her mind:D.

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #3  
I'd go with the Deere, I just got a 2006 3320 with 10 hrs on it and I think it's great so far.

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #4  
Since you are currently looking at a tie, I will break it and say go with the deere. Down the road, it will not matter which one has more warranty left right now, and deere has much better resale.

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #5  
*Since you are currently looking at a tie, I will break it and say go with the deere.
**Down the road, it will not matter which one has more warranty left right now, and deere has much better resale.
*It's not really a tie because there is finance charges on the deer but none on the mahindra .
This could be an extra 2 or 3 thousand bucks on the deere.
**it will matter if something goes wrong with the deer and it's not coverd but if something happens to the mahindra it is covered.

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #6  
"Mr. Parking-Lot-of-Tractors"; LBrown59 - is on the money here - those finance charges @ 6% interest give a greater tilt to the Mahindra purchase!

I don't know much at all about Mahindra tractors. The little bit I've read here on TBN; speaks to them being "h@ll for stout" and no shortage of cast iron!

That said, I don't have a clue about the fine print in the Mahindra warranty, either. It might not be a whole lot better than what's left in the Deere warranty...

Wolce23 is spot on with the resale, though. Couple of year's use and that finance charge difference will be back in your pocket if you should decide to sell or upgrade.

It's a close call... I'd try to get some time runnin' both of 'em and get a sense of the control layout, comfort, machine response, etc.

And I'd pay very close attention to the dealers and their staff. Those folk's are gonna be your "partner" for the next several year's (or more) so, you're gonna have to have some basis for that future relationship.

Best of luck with whatever you decide --- you're gettin' a tractor --- that's always a good thing!!

AKfish

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #7  
Deere Finacing
$21000 X 6% X 60mo = $405.99 mo ----$405 X 60 mo = $24359,40

Mahindra Finacing
$21000 X 0% X 60 mo = $350.00 m0 --- $350 X 60 mo = $21000.00

Just pointing out they are not the same price! Unless you pay cash!

If it's still a tie after all your research, go with the dealer that has the best service dept. Call BBB if you unsure.

Good Luck.
Frank

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #8  
Did you ever think of not buying either tractor without the BH and buy a nice used mini excavator. I did that and I enjoy the fact I can be using the ex and moving brush with the FEL without having to reposition the ex. I also bought a used dump trailer I can load with the ex then take it to my burn pile with the tractor and trailer. On a side note I didnt have to ask the wifes permission to buy either of these. She has said a couple of times that trailer is one of the best things I have bought, she has needed something hauled in it ( mulch, hay for horses, shavings for horses) Also with the excavator she is always asking me " can you do---- withe your diggy thing" I also said I would buy a mini Ex use it for 2 years get the jobs done I wanted to get done then sell well its been 3 years and we still dont have a for sale sign bought. V

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #9  
I would go with the Mahindra for two reasons. One, it comes with full warranty and two, the $$$. I think both are the same class of tractor. This would have not been true 5 years ago but Mahindra is every bit as good as John Deere.

Me and two friends set out to buy tractors in 2003. I got a Jinma 28 HP tractor with R1's, FEL, and finish mower for $9,500 out the door. Only issue has been a battery, starter, and a leaky hydro valve. 450 hours.

My buddy Toby bought a John Deere. Not sure of the model but its a 33 or 35 HP Hydro unit with R4's, FEL and finish mower. Cost about $25,000. Nice unit but a little light built. My Jinma will out pull it. Only a few issues but one was a bad injector pump and the other was a bad electrical circuit of some some sort to engage the pto. Both would have cost big $$$ without a warranty. So yes, they do break also. 300 hours

My other buddy Adam bought a Case DX29 with R4's. He did not get a FEL but got finish mower and rear blade. His cost was in the $15,000 range. Zero problems but used the least. Only 225 hours.

I just saw all three tractors yesterday. The guy with the Case needed help building a go cart track for his kids. He bush hogged the tack but could not pull the 2 bottom plow with his R4 tires through the grass. I did that then the guy with the JD followed up with my 6' disk and then the case followed up with my 3,000# roller.

Chris

/ Used John Deere or New Mahindra #10  
I'd buy the Deere. I just don't see Mahindra holding value very well. If you chose to upgrade in the future, the Deere will more than make up for the higher purchase price with higher resale value. Like most tractor owners, rarely do you buy your "last tractor". We always are looking for bigger, better, more capable tractors.

After reading the other article on the crappy mahindra service on the blown engine, I'd say the mahindra warranty is about worthless or at best hit and miss.

I'd also bet over the long run, the Deere holds up better if you do decide to keep it.