Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #21  
Gas tractors use 50% more fuel per hp

jb

• Gasoline: US gallon = 115,000 Btu = 121 MJ = 32 MJ/liter (LHV). HHV = 125,000 Btu/gallon = 132 MJ/gallon = 35 MJ/liter
    • Metric tonne gasoline = 8.53 barrels = 1356 liter = 43.5 GJ/t (LHV); 47.3 GJ/t (HHV)
    • gasoline density (average) = 0.73 g/ml ( = metric tonnes/m3)
  • Petro-diesel = 130,500 Btu/gallon (36.4 MJ/liter or 42.8 GJ/t)
    • petro-diesel density (average) = 0.84 g/ml ( = metric tonnes/m3)
  • 13.4 % more energy in a gallon of diesel than gas
Andy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #22  
In the old days, a gallon of diesel contained significantly more energy than a gallon of gas, 20% or so better fuel economy was common. That is changing as the tree-huggers are forceing the use of lower sulfer diesel, and it probably wont be long until a gallon of gas can produce just as much work as a gallon of "environmentally friendly" diesel. .

Ultra-low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)

" ULSD offers no discernible difference in fuel economy or performance versus diesel."

One thing unfortunately this site has is quite a bit of oopinions that are not based on fact.

Andy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #23  
I did not make that up Andy, I got it from a very knowledgeble local oilman who is a good friend of mine. He says you can expect about 10% less fuel economy with the ULSD in any engine. Another friend is a fleet manager of more than 100 trucks and he verified that number from actual experience. I know thier credentials, what are yours? I never post without knowing the facts.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #24  
" ULSD offers no discernible difference in fuel economy or performance versus diesel."

Andy[/QUOTE]

That statement is JUST PLAIN WRONG! 29 years practical experience as a school bus mechanic/driver speaking here.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #25  
As a side note.. anyone else here had problems with orings int he fuel system when you started using the new ULSD?

I even had the rubber gasket in my fuel cap fail too...

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #26  

Andy

That statement is JUST PLAIN WRONG! 29 years practical experience as a school bus mechanic/driver speaking here.[/QUOTE]

Are you not confusing the fuel with the new emissions systems that regenerate themselves by using fuel to burn off accumulated soot?
I may be mistaken, but I think it is the engines that are less fuel efficient by virtue of their new anti-pollution devices, not the ULSD fuel itself.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #27  
At the fuel pump with credit card in hand.. does it really make a difference if it's the (intentionally? ) ineficient engine.. or the fuel itself.

Joe consumer is still paying more for less right?

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #28  
I don't know what qualifies as an authoritative reference source on this ULSD issue but here is a summary statement from the John Deere website:

"
What is ULSD?
ULSD (Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel) is diesel fuel with a maximum of 15 ppm sulfur content.

How will its use affect us?
The good news is we will have cleaner air. The not so good news is that the introduction of ULSD fuel to older vehicles may adversely affect fuel system components (mainly seals) and/or loosen deposits in fuel tanks. As part of a good maintenance program, owners and operators of existing diesel equipment are encouraged to monitor their diesel-powered vehicles closely for potential fuel system leaks or premature fuel filter plugging during the change-over to ULSD fuel.

Depending on how long the unit has run on higher sulfur fuel it may take several filter changes before system is purged. For system leaks new seals should alleviate the problem if they occur. The new seals will take the desired set compatible with the low sulfur fuel.

Depending upon the manufacturing process, there maybe a slight increase (~1%) in fuel consumption over higher sulfur fuel.
"

Sounds like Soundguy should have been reading the JD website to maintain his NH.:D

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #29  
Didn't even have to... it just up and fell apart with the introduction of this new diesel... was pretty easier to put the pieces of the puzzle together.. the new stuff causes compatibility problems with all the old stuff currently out there on the market...

soundguy

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #30  
Didn't even have to... it just up and fell apart with the introduction of this new diesel... was pretty easier to put the pieces of the puzzle together.. the new stuff causes compatibility problems with all the old stuff currently out there on the market...

soundguy

How long from the time you started using ULSD until you had fuel problems?