Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #1  

genusCastor

Silver Member
Tractor
see sig
Howdy all, new to the forum here.

I'm planning to buy a smallish farm tractor, prolly less than 50 HP. I'm interested in opinions about the difference between diesel and gas engines, in regards to overall tractor performance. What preference do you have and why?

- djb

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #2  

I'm planning to buy a smallish farm tractor, prolly less than 50 HP. I'm interested in opinions about the difference between diesel and gas engines, in regards to overall tractor performance. What preference do you have and why?

- djb

Honestly, I would not touch a gas tractor with a ten foot pole. Fuel usage, spark/ignition system, torque, would be my biggest reasons why.

There are probably a few exceptions to the rule, but they are probably a small elite few.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #3  
You may just be asking an impossible question!:D

The answerer you are looking for is so vague as to be almost indecipherable.:D

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #4  

- djb

Gas tractors use 50% more fuel per hp

jb

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #5  
In the old days, a gallon of diesel contained significantly more energy than a gallon of gas, 20% or so better fuel economy was common. That is changing as the tree-huggers are forceing the use of lower sulfer diesel, and it probably wont be long until a gallon of gas can produce just as much work as a gallon of "environmentally friendly" diesel. This spring, I could get a gallon of gas more than $1.00 a gallon cheaper than a gallon of diesel, and this made a gas tractor cost effective for getting work done. I would not be suprised to see a comeback of gas tractors, or even more likely, natural gas in the coming years.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #6  
In the old days, a gallon of diesel contained significantly more energy than a gallon of gas, 20% or so better fuel economy was common. That is changing as the tree-huggers are forceing the use of lower sulfer diesel, and it probably wont be long until a gallon of gas can produce just as much work as a gallon of "environmentally friendly" diesel. This spring, I could get a gallon of gas more than $1.00 a gallon cheaper than a gallon of diesel, and this made a gas tractor cost effective for getting work done. I would not be suprised to see a comeback of gas tractors, or even more likely, natural gas in the coming years.

Gas tractors will not be coming back. Gasser still cannot compete with the torque of a diesel, or the displacement of diesel engine vs a gasser of the same power.

1 gallon may be cheaper, but for those who farm, or even the hobby farmer, over the long run the diesel is cheaper. Also, no spark plugs, or wires, among other things, maintenance costs are lower.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #7  
I almost hate to see questions such as "gas or diesel?". You used to be able to get more out of gallon diesel than a gallon of gas....who knows with ULSD what that end result will be on that score....It could almost be too close to call...as far as torque, diesels have it hands down....as far as maintenance, I find it almost a draw with the gasser a tad easier to maintain (I'm speaking of older gas iron that use battery/coil ignitions). In this regard, any decent shade tree mechanic can tune a 4 or even a 6 cyl gas engine....a well tuned gas engine stays tuned for quite some time (as they usually only turn up less than 1900 rpm to produce their HP and Torque). I can and have tuned a bunch of them, re-did a couple that had God only knows how many thousand hrs on them...carbs are easy to bring back to useful life...I can't say that about injector pumps....hope I never have to buy one of those... End result? who knows, I've got both gas and diesel...love em' all! just some thoughts BobG in VA

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #8  
BobG, Do they still make gas tractors with carburetors? I haven't seen a carb on anything larger than a lawn mower or generator in a long time. Just one of those things I figured had been replaced on larger engines.

A like my little diesel a lot - and one of the reasons is fuel storage. Diesel is much less volatile.

I have fond memories of growing up crank starting the old gasoline powered International Super C (and others), but am glad to now be in the diesel world.

Jay

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #9  
The only upside to a gas tractor is your not killing yourself as severly with the gas fumes.

/ Tractor Performance: diesel vs gas #10  
The only upside to a gas tractor is your not killing yourself as severly with the gas fumes.

Ah, but I like the smell of a diesel (tractor) on a fall morning. :D