New Holland Post Hole Digger - $500 good deal?

/ New Holland Post Hole Digger - $500 good deal? #1  

cbushrun1

Tractor
John Deere 790
Hello all! I have a friend that is selling his New Holland post hole digger w/ a 12" auger. I'm not that familiar w/ the New Holland implements and from checking their website they have 3 models; light, medium and heavy duty. I'm not sure what one it is and neither does he.

Questions for TBNers:
1. is there anyway to tell what "duty" it is?
2. If there's no way to tell visually, assuming its a light duty model, is $500 a decent deal?

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

/ New Holland Post Hole Digger - $500 good deal? #2  
I would expect that New Holland like many manufactures simply relabels different brands over the years. With out knowing the age it would be very difficult to tell which model it is. Does it have a model number on it? Any idea of it's age Can you post a picture? All of these would help members determine which model it is and it's value.

I would expect that if it's a medium duty unit in decent shape $500 is a reasonable price.

Andy

/ New Holland Post Hole Digger - $500 good deal? #3  
Pretty much like buying any equipment, you have to ask yourself; am I going to dig $500 worth of holes, and will this unit dig $500 worth of holes.
For me personally, I might plant an occasional mailbox, or post for a deck etc. but a post hole digger would probably seize up from sitting before I got my moneys worth. On the other hand, if you're planning on fencing in a few acres, it could be money well spent.