Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tractor
    b-2410 HST

Default Re: Tractor Research this Weekend

What size mower are you using. I was told for every foot of mower, you need 5 hp at the pto. I am also trying to decide between a 30hp tractor, or something smaller to get around my 5 acres, with much of the same work-fel work, mowing and using a scraper?? A dealer was the one who told me that you need 5hp for every foot of mower??

Tractor
    Kubota B2410

I dont believe the 5hp rule the dealer told you is what the manufacturers go by. All of the big 3 sell 60" mid mount mowers for their smallest tractors. The smallest mid mount sold, that I know of, is a 54" (4 1/2 ft) which by your dealers recomendation would require a 22.5 PTO HP Tractor, or about 27 gross hp.

The TC18/JD4010 both have 14 PTO HP, and both have the 60" MMM as an option. Not sure where the B7400 from kubota falls, as noone seems to carry those.

Jon

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New BX2200 4-3-02 (traded 6-08) new B2620 06-08

I have the BX2200 which is, of course, 22 HP and a 60" MMM.
    The MM PTO has a very high speed. I run the tractor about 3/4 throttle and it does a great job with no bog down. Of course I don't hog with the MMM so I guess it's all what type of mower you plan on getting....... I would think that different types of gearing on different brands of mowers would definately make a difference on how much HP is needed as well as width......
    Tom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234