Tractor Research this Weekend

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #1  

JonLeonard

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410
I made my rounds this weekend of tractor dealers in my area. I got to ride alot of different machines and get a feel for the different dealers. Originally I was looking for a tractor in the 25-30 hp range, but I quickly came to the conclusion that a smaller unit would do the work I needed. There is also no way I could afford the $$$ to buy the bigger units.

I plan to use the tractor to maintain about 700 feet of gravel driveway, mow about 9 acres, 3 every week, rest once a month or so. I would also like to do some general landscaping, fence installation, move bales of hay to our goats, etc. I think any of these tractors will do the job, but Im looking for input.

Here are the prices I got

John Deere 4010, HST, Industrial Tires, Valve for Loader $10,220
60" Mid Mount mower $2220
Total 12440
Rebate of $700 (this dealer wasnt offering the full $900, as they didnt comply with the open house stipulation)
Total cost of $11740

Kubota 7500, HST, Industrial Tires $10,000
60" Mid Mount Mower $1950
Total cost of $11,950

New Holland TC18, HST, Industrial Tires, Folding ROPS, Filled Tires $9350
60" Rear Discharge, Mid Mount Mower $2200
Total cost of $11550

Cub Cadet 7254 HST, 25Hp Gasoline Engine, Industrial Tires, 4WD $9995
60" Mid Mount Mower $2200
Total cost of $12,195

The JD dealer did not have any of the small chassis 4000 TEN series tractors in stock, so all I could do was get the price. He also told me he had no idea when he would even be able to get one.

The Kubota and NH are both sold theby same dealer. I drove both quite a bit and each had its advantages. The Kubota was quiter and drove very smoothly. Its operator platform was flat, and easy to get in and out of, and the seat was comfortable. The TC18 was louder and not as smooth running, but *seemed* more powerful. The dealer told me he believed the TC18 actually had more torque than the Kubota 7500 despite the 2 1/2 hp difference. The TC18 has position control on the 3ph, cruise control, and a substantially better weight rating on the 3pt as well. NH also offers a rear discharge mid mount mower which seems to be a very nice option. The transmission whine of the TC18 was more noticable then the 7500, but not overbearing.

Lastly was the brand new Cub 7254, just of the truck on Friday. The dealer had a hard time getting it started (not a good sign). The engine was the loudest of the bunch, and the transmission whine was very loud.
There is a large hydralic cylinder on the 3ph that I did not see on any of the other brands. I assume that the lift mechanism is built into the casing on the others, and this one was simply exposed. Seemed wierd. I also noticed that the step flexed slightly when I got on the tractor, which seemed to indicate less strength than either the Kubota or NH. The dealers that I have talked to about Cubs dont inspire confidence, they seem to be more "mower dealer selling tractors". I prefer the reverse.

So, after my first look, I am leaning toward the TC18, not quite as refined as the Kubota, but heavier duty and more features.

Any opinions/experiences to share?

Jon

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #2  
Jon,

The price on the deere looks pretty good, it is somewhere between 10 & 15% off retail + the rebate.

For the NH check out

TC 18 Pricing under New Holland Buying pricing.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buynh&Number=138141&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>TC18 Pricing</A>

(I really need to learn how to put links in)

For the kubota check out

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kazez.com/~will/kubota.html> Kubota B Series Prices</A>

(I just learned how to put links in -- thanks again harv)

This page was set up by a fellow TBN member

I am looking at the same size machines. I have driven the 4100 hydro and 4110 (gear). Personally I prefered the twin hydro pedals to the "treadle" pedal, although I am sure I would get used to it. I did not like the gear 4110, it was difficult to drive, had to stop before changing directions, also when you clutch, the PTO stops too.

Which did you like better? Any plans for an FEL?

Hazmat

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #3  
Jon, I just realized that you already answered which one you liked better. My preference was JD, NH, Kubota.

Funney how they all come out to a similar price. Here's a real kicker, the new X595 garden tractor costs MORE than the 4010 even before you take the available rebates into effect.

The reason I asked about the FEL, is you can get another $300 rebate if you buy a second implement. See Deere's web site for details.

Hazmat

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #4  
I just bought a TC 18. Paid around $11,800 deliverd (not including sales tax) 4WD, Power Steering, HST, Folding ROPs, FEL and Industrial Tires. I am not sure if you are financing but if you are NH has better rates and longer terms.

I have only put a few hours on mine but here are my first immpressions - Loader and 3 pt work great, smooth and very acurrate position. The engines runs a little rough but only when idling at low RPMs it smooths right out after you increase the idle a little. For my use the tractor has plenty of HP. I am not mowing so the PTO HP might be a consideration for your use. The controls are convenient and easy to use. In general the only problem is my technique in operating (see my posting in Owning/Operating)

Hope this helps.

/ Tractor Research this Weekend
I would love to have a FEL, but the cost is just too much right now. I am planning on getting whatever needs to be done to the tractor to accomidate the FEL when I purchase it. Then I can add the FEL when our tax money comes back next year.

I like the JD on paper too, but Im not interested in buying anything I cant try out ahead of time.

I definately should have listed the financing in my findings. The New Holland 4.9% for 60 months is the best rate going.

Jon

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #6  
Harv,

Thanks for fixing my link. I've been practicing in the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=support&Number=84240&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1> hyperlinks </A> thread in the news/feedback forum.

Hazmat

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #7  
depending on the size of the bales you are considering moving for your goats (round?? square??), you might need to carefully select what size tractor is going to handle this chore, as the round bales I feed are usually about 1200 lbs, and this would require careful ballast selection in some of the smaller tractor models.

/ Tractor Research this Weekend
I mean the kind of hay bales that are human luggable...they are like 2 ft by 5 ft about 18 inches tall. Kind of thing you can carry/move yourself but would be alot easier to let the tractor do it.

Even though the TC18 is rated to pick up 1200+ pounds with its 3ph, I would imagine I would need some serious counter weight to do so.

Jon

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #9  
Watch out! I thought I'd always use square bales, but I quickly grew to need the round bales... Just factor that in your figuring, because that would make for an interesting ride in this size range....

Then again, square bales would not be as much of a chore with a FEL....

Right now I move my round bales in human luggable mode. I wear gloves, though...

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #10  
"Originally I was looking for a tractor in the 25-30 hp range, but I quickly came to the conclusion that a smaller unit would do the work I needed. There is also no way I could afford the $$$ to buy the bigger units."

Maybe you should look used instead of new. A JD 770, 870, 850, 855, 950 or 955 would be 20 to 30some PTO Horse Power and cost you right around what the 4100 would go for (looking at the 1987 to 1995 tractors). I'm just noting the Deeres because I know those models...I don't know the older Kubota's, NH or Fords.

There is some really nice machinery floating around that would probably suit you quite well...better, perhaps, then a new machine with less HP.

I run a 1991 Deere 670. Had 600 hours and came with a FEL, 4WD and a practically new Befco C30 60" finishing mower. This machine wouldn't be big enough for your needs but it is right in line with the power output of the 4100, TC-18 (or TC21) and the B7500. This machine cost $8500 and was financed through John Deere (at a higher interest rate, of course).

Runs like a champ...

<font color=red>I always believed in you're better off buying used equipment that can do the job then new that can't</font color=red>

Attachments

• 46-144604-My670A.jpg
    46-144604-My670A.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 100