Considering Ford 3600 diesel

/ Considering Ford 3600 diesel #1  

CoachDave

I'm considering purchasing a late 1970s model Ford 3600 from dealer.
He's asking $5,900 (but "will drop to" $5,500) and it includes a 6' rotary cutter.
I have not gone to see this machine yet.
Any tips on what I should look for to make sure it's not a lemon?
Is this machine rated at approx 35hp from PTO?
Thanks,
I'm kind of new at this.
Coach Dave the non-mechanic but loving the country

/ Considering Ford 3600 diesel #2  
Good tractors, diesels were very easy on fuel. University of Nebraska Tractor test indicates 40 PTO HP.

/ Considering Ford 3600 diesel #3  
3600 is a later version of the 3000. I had a couple 3000's, one gas, one diesel. Good little tractors all in all. I bought the gasser new in 1973. It was with me until 3 years ago. The front axle and steering components were so badly worn from a lifetime of loader work that I decided to sell and purchase a diesel in better shape. Since, I've sold the diesel. Decent power, fairly reliable. Gasser had ignition issues and was extremely cold natured, but the diesel didn't have those problems.

Sounds like a good price .....IF.... it's in good condtion. They sell for north of $5000 here in anything like decent shape (w/o the mower) .

Last edited:
   / Considering Ford 3600 diesel #5  
Just sold my 3600 gasser a few months ago. It was a nice solid tractor, was hard starting cold but plug it in for 15 minutes and fired right up. It had 3700 hours and a trip bucket loader with a 8/2 transmission. I paid $5500 for it 15 years ago, got $6200 for it. I really liked the power steering on that tractor.

JJ

/ Considering Ford 3600 diesel #6  
I'm considering purchasing a late 1970s model Ford 3600 from dealer.
He's asking $5,900 (but "will drop to" $5,500) and it includes a 6' rotary cutter.
I have not gone to see this machine yet.
Any tips on what I should look for to make sure it's not a lemon?
Is this machine rated at approx 35hp from PTO?
Thanks,
I'm kind of new at this.
Coach Dave the non-mechanic but loving the country

If it has live PTO (as most 3600's do) make absolutely certain the two stage clutch is working properly. Also be certain the brakes work and there is NO trace of oil leakage from the rear axle seals. This would show up at the bottom of the drum brake backing plates inboard of the rear wheels.
CLutch problems are expensive even if done as a DIY, and axle seals are not terribly expensive, but are a fair amount of work for the newbie.

/ Considering Ford 3600 diesel #7  
As FWJ points out.. check to see if it did any loader duty.. IE.. check the front axle and kingpin area for wear.

Can be fixed.. but you wan't to know everything goin in.

Price is acceptable and in line with prices in this area.

soundguy

/ Considering Ford 3600 diesel #8  
Diesels were wonderful little tractors.....I've had several 2600,3600.4100 and they are not the best starters in the cold.