Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor?

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #11  
Thanks for the advice! I agree and should have clairified my answer to say that I'd like the break-in oil replaced with the same , but fresh break-in oil.
Rite put the same kind of oil back in then at the recommended first service change it again.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #12  
Thanks John! I'm getting a roto-tiller, cultivator and small disk plow with the sale and will work on getting a better price on those. I also want a manure spreader, broadcast spreader and a raised bed mulch layer. If I look at the list price on JD's web site now, I'm about 19% off of new.

Actually, I'm begining to wonder what I'm getting into also! LOL

Now, with all that said, he also has a JD-4720 the same age I can get a decent price on also---hmmmm, bigger is better. But My wife may rip my left ******** off if I spend more than I already am! LOL.

If you want to save some $$, the rototiller can do the work of the disc and cultivator. Depends on what you are using them for, naturally.

It's far cheaper to buy a larger tractor now, rather than in 6 months when you find out you are short on power. And, don't forget, you will still have the right one left over!

jb

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor?
Thanks again!!!

Here's an update. The dealer is going to replace all fluids, "go through the tractor with a fine tooth comb" and knock a tad more off the price. I'm happy with that. The tractor has just over an hour on it, but has been moved around the lot "every so often."

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #15  
I am kinda disappointed...I was gonna go buy that trator. It is exactly what I am looking for.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #16  
I'm getting ready to purchase my first real tractor and have narrowed it down to a new John Deere 4320. However, my local dealer has a "new" left-over 2007 JD-4520 that I can get for $500 more than the new 2008 JD-4320.
1. It's been sitting on his lot since June 2007, should I get a bigger discount when compared to brand new 2008/9 models?
2. Should I be worried about this thing sitting there that long?
3. What extra service should I demand? Should I demand that all fluids be replaced (oil, water, hydraulics?)
4. Should I ask for an extended warrantee?
5. Should I run away from this one and just get a new one?

FWIW...When I purchased my 3520 in April of this year, it had been delivered to the dealer in Dec of 2007, so it was a few months old... That being said, I got a SMOKING deal on it. I wouldnt go by whats on the JD configurator....I know right at the time I got mine the prices on the configurator and dealer went up by almost 15%...I'd say the dealer has quite a bit more wiggle room then he's letting on. I personally think thats a bit high for a tractor that old....not because of issues, but because he bought it on the "old pricing" schedule....Then again, thats probably why its still stting there....dealer is asking a bit much in the grand scale of things.
Look at it this way....
In March/April-Ish of 2008, MSRP's went up 15%
Good Dealing & shopping competitors will ususally get you 12-15% off MSRP...

If your serious (Good dealers can sense this I think)....then talk numbers, and HARD-Ball numbers...you should be able to get a good price on that machine. Shop around other colors, nothing gets green dealer pencils sharpened like orange price quotes....

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #17  
I'd throw a lowball offer on the 07 model. Say $1000 lower than the $500 he quoted. If he bites you can walk away with a smile and a nice tractor. I think your obsessing over the oil. Just break in the the tractor and service per the manual.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #18  
I'd throw a lowball offer on the 07 model. Say $1000 lower than the $500 he quoted. If he bites you can walk away with a smile and a nice tractor. I think your obsessing over the oil. Just break in the the tractor and service per the manual.

Sincerely, Dirt
That's what i did with the BX1500 that was a left over.
Worked fine.

I am kinda disappointed...I was gonna go buy that trator. It is exactly what I am looking for.

Well, they have a 4720 with a cab that's been on the lot since before the last price increase that they want to get rid of. Also, I think Revels in NC has a 4520 with cab that they'll deal on.

Again,

Wow! Thanks for all the advice! It's very nice to be new here and have so much help right off the bat.

The tractor is another $500 off and I'm about to over-extend my welcome with the dealer. LOL!

Really, though, I think the deal is fair, they're replacing all the fluids and giving some accessories at cost. They are also delivering the thing---410 miles each way---for the cost of fuel. The deal is done.

I'm not sure if I can give the name of the dealer on here, but if anyone would like to know, I'm happy to provide. The dealer is near a vacation home we have in the mountains---a good 6-1/2 hours from my home. I first approached this dealer because they had several tractor lines and just needed impartial advice on the various manufacturers/models. I went in saying this and that I would buy locally, not at their dealership. They still bent over backward, demonstrated different units, advised me on where to start negotiations with local dealers and even recommended what accessories to get and what not to get---and even recommended lower priced but better built components than some of the "name brand" units.