Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor?

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #1  

RBachman

Greetings!

I'm getting ready to purchase my first real tractor and have narrowed it down to a new John Deere 4320. However, my local dealer has a "new" left-over 2007 JD-4520 that I can get for $500 more than the new 2008 JD-4320. I'd like to have the extra horsepower, but have some concerns. I'm told the "value" isn't dependent on the model year so much as hours and condition, and that there is no problem letting a tractor sit that long. However, the engineer in me sees some red flags.

1. It's been sitting on his lot since June 2007, should I get a bigger discount when compared to brand new 2008/9 models?
2. Should I be worried about this thing sitting there that long?
3. What extra service should I demand? Should I demand that all fluids be replaced (oil, water, hydraulics?)
4. Should I ask for an extended warrantee?
5. Should I run away from this one and just get a new one?

I'm more concerned about getting a tractor I know will be reliable and trouble free---as much as can be expected anyway, and don't want to get into a new machine that is prone to problems right from the start.

Thanks for the help!

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #2  
Greetings!

I'm getting ready to purchase my first real tractor and have narrowed it down to a new John Deere 4320. However, my local dealer has a "new" left-over 2007 JD-4520 that I can get for $500 more than the new 2008 JD-4320. I'd like to have the extra horsepower, but have some concerns. I'm told the "value" isn't dependent on the model year so much as hours and condition, and that there is no problem letting a tractor sit that long. However, the engineer in me sees some red flags.

1. It's been sitting on his lot since June 2007, should I get a bigger discount when compared to brand new 2008/9 models?
3. What extra service should I demand? Should I demand that all fluids be replaced (oil, water, hydraulics?)

I'm more concerned about getting a tractor I know will be reliable and trouble free---as much as can be expected anyway, and don't want to get into a new machine that is prone to problems right from the start.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't worry about a new tractor sitting on a dealer's lot. Ask the dealer how frequently he starts the new tractors in his inventory. I let my 1964 MF-135 diesel sit for 8 months without starting while I rewired it and did other restoration. No problem. It started up immediately after hitting the switch.

If you demand that the fluids be changed, the dealer may do that or give yiou a small rebate instead to make the sale. Personally, I don't think that's a show stopper.

No harm in asking for a larger rebate for that 2007 model. You may get lucky and save a few bucks.

The warranty starts at the time of sale. I doubt that the dealer would extend it, but, again, no harm in asking. It's all part of the negotiation.

In any event, be sure you get a free JD baseball cap and coffee mug as part of the deal.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #3  
A year ago I bought a new leftover BX1500.
Couldn't be happier with it.
Greetings!

Thanks for the help!

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #4  
I would not be to worried about the tractor sitting on the lot for awhile. I would not worry about changing the fluids. I would figure the dealer starts and moves his equipment around a good bit. How many hours are on the tractor? The hours should give you an idea of how often it was ran. A lot of new vehicles sit on lots for awhile without having any problems. Just try to see how low the dealer will go on the price. If the dealer wants to move the tractor bad enough the price will be right.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor?
Thanks for the advice. I believe the tractor has just a few hours on it---The dealer said it had break-in oil in it and the shipping decals are still stuck on the windows. It started right up when I hit the key.

I'll chat with the dealer tomorrow and see if I can negotiate a bit tighter. I'd like to have the oil changed and all filters replaced. With so many combinations of options, it's hard to equally compare pricing. But here is what I have so far:

JD-4520, cab, air seat, 400CXP loader, cruise, radio, ehydro, telescoping draft links, 3rd control valve kit, dual mid SCV, auto type cruise control and industrial tires. I'm right at $35K out the door. If I add everything up on the JD site I'm a bit over $43k before taxes, shipping and prep. I'm assuming this is a good price----seems like it, but I've never purchased a tractor before.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #6  
Thanks for the advice. I believe the tractor has just a few hours on it---The dealer said it had break-in oil in it and the shipping decals are still stuck on the windows. It started right up when I hit the key.

I'll chat with the dealer tomorrow and see if I can negotiate a bit tighter. I'd like to have the oil changed and all filters replaced. With so many combinations of options, it's hard to equally compare pricing. But here is what I have so far:

JD-4520, cab, air seat, 400CXP loader, cruise, radio, ehydro, telescoping draft links, 3rd control valve kit, dual mid SCV, auto type cruise control and industrial tires. I'm right at $35K out the door. If I add everything up on the JD site I'm a bit over $43k before taxes, shipping and prep. I'm assuming this is a good price----seems like it, but I've never purchased a tractor before.
I would not do this until the recommended first service is due.
Break in oil needs/ must be ran for the full number of hours recommended.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #7  
The price may be a bit high, but he may have lost money on it by paying interest to JD and may not have the wiggle room left. I'd try and get attachments at 5% over his cost on the deal. He gets to move an old stock tractor and some attachments too. He may go for it. Like my dad used to say, "The answer is always no, if you don't ask".

jb

I would not do this until the recommended first service is due.
Break in oil needs/ must be ran for the full number of hours recommended.

Thanks for the advice! I agree and should have clairified my answer to say that I'd like the break-in oil replaced with the same , but fresh break-in oil.

The price may be a bit high, but he may have lost money on it by paying interest to JD and may not have the wiggle room left. I'd try and get attachments at 5% over his cost on the deal. He gets to move an old stock tractor and some attachments too. He may go for it. Like my dad used to say, "The answer is always no, if you don't ask".

jb

Thanks John! I'm getting a roto-tiller, cultivator and small disk plow with the sale and will work on getting a better price on those. I also want a manure spreader, broadcast spreader and a raised bed mulch layer. If I look at the list price on JD's web site now, I'm about 19% off of new.

Actually, I'm begining to wonder what I'm getting into also! LOL

Now, with all that said, he also has a JD-4720 the same age I can get a decent price on also---hmmmm, bigger is better. But My wife may rip my left ******** off if I spend more than I already am! LOL.

/ Any Advice on Buying A "New" but Older Tractor? #10  
Sounds like you're lining up a good deal...Figure out what your power needs are and buy the tractor that fits them. If it happens to be the 4720...at least you'll still have the right one...