JD 5203 2wd or 4wd?

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #1  

maxjr

I am new to the forum and about to purchase a new JD 5203 tractor with a loader. I going to work and mow about 5-10 acres. Just your general everyday maintenance stuff. However, I do plan on dragging a disc. I don't know whether to buy the 2wd or 4wd. I have been told that 4wd is better if I am gong to use the loader alot. But we are talking about $6k-$7k difference. Can I get by with the 2wd? Should I move up to the 5303 (64hp) to make up for not getting the 4wd? Should I stick to the R1 or Industrial tires?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #2  
You will pay more initially but the resale value will be much higher. I don't think the extra weight of the 5303 will offset the difference of not having 4wd. As far as tires for what your will be using it for I would say get the R4's.
Welcome to the site, good luck with your tractor.

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #3  
I am new to the forum and about to purchase a new JD 5203 tractor with a loader. I going to work and mow about 5-10 acres. Just your general everyday maintenance stuff. However, I do plan on dragging a disc. I don't know whether to buy the 2wd or 4wd. I have been told that 4wd is better if I am gong to use the loader alot. But we are talking about $6k-$7k difference. Can I get by with the 2wd? Should I move up to the 5303 (64hp) to make up for not getting the 4wd? Should I stick to the R1 or Industrial tires?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

i just bought a 5203 MFWD. acctually my dealer gave me a better deal on the 4wd then i could get on the 2wd. this is my first MFWD tractor and while i havent needed it yet, it's been nice to have. it does make a difference in pulling(even though i havent needed it, just wanted to see how big a difference it made). as for disking, it really depends on the type of soil you plan to disk up, how big a disk you plan to pull, and if you will be disking in previously plowed ground or newly plowed ground. the 5303 doesnt really weigh that much more then a 5203, just has larger tires which you could get on the 5203 if you wanted. i got the R1's and have never owned a tractor with r4's, however if you plan on doing a good bit of ground engaging work i would opt for R1's. also consider this. if you get a 2wd you get the SyncReverser transmission, but if you get MFWD you get SyncShuttle.

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd?
Thanks for the responses. The last post mentioned what kind of soil I will be tilling. Well its hard gumbo type soil in south east Texas that has not been tilled for many, many years. Its been pasture for cows and horses for at least 15 years!

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #5  
Thanks for the responses. The last post mentioned what kind of soil I will be tilling. Well its hard gumbo type soil in south east Texas that has not been tilled for many, many years. Its been pasture for cows and horses for at least 15 years!

well if i were getting a 2wd tractor i would want R1's, but if you opted for the 4wd 5203 then i think you would be ok with R4's. that would be what my decision came down to if i didn't really want to spend the money for 4wd.

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #6  
Go with the 4 wleel drive, you wont be sorry, like having two tractors pulling when useing front axle

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #8  
i just bought a 5203 MFWD. acctually my dealer gave me a better deal on the 4wd then i could get on the 2wd. this is my first MFWD tractor and while i havent needed it yet, it's been nice to have. it does make a difference in pulling(even though i havent needed it, just wanted to see how big a difference it made). as for disking, it really depends on the type of soil you plan to disk up, how big a disk you plan to pull, and if you will be disking in previously plowed ground or newly plowed ground. the 5303 doesnt really weigh that much more then a 5203, just has larger tires which you could get on the 5203 if you wanted. i got the R1's and have never owned a tractor with r4's, however if you plan on doing a good bit of ground engaging work i would opt for R1's. also consider this. if you get a 2wd you get the SyncReverser transmission, but if you get MFWD you get SyncShuttle.

Either one would get your jobs done. I have a new Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering) with the ML250 loader (6-ft wide bucket) that has a simple gear tranny. It's no problem running a 6-ft brush hog. And I've had no problem using the FEL in 2WD. My previous tractor was a 21 hp Kubota B7510HST with 4WD and a 4-ft FEL. It was a little more convenient than the 5525 for FEL work but not that big a deal in my opinion.

BTW: that JD 5203 is built in India, just like my 5525. So is the 5303. Small world.

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd?
Ok, I am buying the 4wd. One last question; R1's or R4's?

Thanks.

/ JD 5203 2wd or 4wd? #10  
I don't have the experience with 2WD tractors as many member here do so don't have that as a reference. I do have a similar sized New Holland TN-70 with R4's that I use on similar tasks. I bought the MFWD version, knowing I would have to traverse some hills and slopes under wet conditions. I found the MFWD makes a big difference under these conditions, having found myself slipping around a bit while under the 2WD. Also discing and using ground engaging equipment while using the MFWD seems like the tractor is working less. I've read a 2wd tractor is very capable under the right conditions, but if you expect to be on a slope, hills or in the forest you may be more satisfied with the 4WD. Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision.