Refurbished tractors questions

/ Refurbished tractors questions #21  
3 tractors I don't want .
Chinese
Gray Market
Refurbished.

Grey Market is not a brand or model, it is an importation tag, Your BX models are sold in Japan, if I import them does that make them junk that you wouldnt own? A used import tractor from Japan bought from a reputable dealer will generally outlive its owner. You do realize the American models are dumber, stripped versions of the tractors they build for themselves. In Japan you tractor has 5 PTO speed with a reverse gear. Auto leveling three point with computer controlled draft control, double speed front axle for 88 degree steering, ect, ect.

I think it is funny that in one post Chinese and used imports are out the window but refurbished might be ok. lets just put that into perspective, a used Mercedes imported from Germany with 10,000 miles on the odometer that has been well cared for and handpicked buy the importer is junk and out of the question. But one that had 400,000 miles that was junked, wrecked and discarded then pieced back together with pieces from other junked Mercedes and all with third world slave labor is worth considering....... The Vietnamese use the word refurbished because they know you wouldnt buy it if they called them what they really are, which is salvaged. That is why they paint them to look new and install new hour meters (question was asked how to tell if it is a Vietnam rebuild... always a new hour meter). I have had dinner in Japan with the Vietnam buyers and they laugh at the vanity and gullibility of the American buyer.

Before you flame me realize I have been to these salvage Vietnam factories and I am in Japan each month and I watch the tractors the Vietnamese load into the containers for refurbishing. My average cost for a good quality low hour tractor in Japan before shipping is $3500.00 for the Vietnam buyers it is $100.00. Should give you a good idea about the quality they are looking for.

Find a good solid used tractor, be it imported or domestic and a good dealer that supports what he sells and you cant go wrong.

/ Refurbished tractors questions #22  
That was a very elegant description of why "refurb" is a bad word.

Unlike what Soundguy does, which is repair or even restore. Making a used machine mechanically sound is one thing. Making it pretty is different, sadly that is what most "refurb" places are doing. We used to call it a Sherwin Williams rebuild -- only skin deep.

jb

/ Refurbished tractors questions #23  
I agree whole heartedly with EFC's opinion - it all comes down to a decent machine with a good dealer behind it.

You get exactly what you pay for in compact tractors, as you do with anything else you buy.

/ Refurbished tractors questions #24  
I have 143 acres and needed a tractor for many of the tasks you describe (and a lot of others I discovered later). I bought a MF 135 (35 -42 hp depending on who you believe) and while it is a good tractor with available parts and lots of capability it lacked 4wd and my butt seemed to over the loader brackets a fair amount of the time :(. Like Diamondpilot I ended up buying a Jinma 28 and have not regretted it. It is simple, works and outperforms the MF on every level. It is small enough to use on my ATV trails (although it requires trimming overhead branches that I would otherwise ignore:eek:) but powerful enough to do lots of tasks with wood and rock. I have never seen a Vietnamese rebuilt or a "refurbished" Japanese tractor but I have seen lots of stuff that has no parts availability and was really overpriced because of its color:rolleyes:. I also saw a lot of really nice lawn tractors that would need full underbody armor on my place.
You have not said if you have any mechanical ability or how much you want to spend but the two seem to work inversely when it comes to tractors (i.e less money requires more mechanical capability:eek:)
Find an old farmer, befriend him and take him tractor shopping -- it will be worth it:D

/ Refurbished tractors questions #25  
Jinma 28 ....... It is simple, works and outperforms the MF on every level.

Hmm.. the MF 135 is in the 'short' line as one of the great tractors throughout history.

I'd hesitate to say that a chinese mid 20's hp machine that likely won't last 60 years is head and shoulders in all areenas above that MF.. etc. Too much history behind that line to dismiss it completely.. and not enough history behind the other to put it on the high pedistal...

Note... i'm not saying there are not tasks that a new small tractor with a creeper drive and 4wd won't do better... etc

soundguy

/ Refurbished tractors questions #26  
Soundguy -- you are right that the MF135 is a great tractor (I think I said that before)-- but it is 40 years old and it uses technology that is older than that (and you pay a premium for that reputation)-- if I could buy a new one with 4wd and creeper I would, but unfortunately one of my former countrymen who is now a visitor in one of your state's federal institutions made sure I could not :eek::eek: -- and what I can buy in that line is made in India, probably from the same recycled old ships as the chinese ones:eek:
The MF is by far my sentimental favourite that I remember driving new as a kid-- but it now stays in the barn during the winter and when I am working in the bush -- if I could only have one tractor it would be the Jinma -- it may not be around forty years from now (or maybe some rich Chinese guy will be buying it and shipping it back as his sentimental favourite!!!) but I probably won't be either.
I was merely trying to make the point that the new Jinma does what I need to get done better than the MF135 at 40. Kinda like us:rolleyes: - not nice but reality.
I think we are probably in violent agreement!!

/ Refurbished tractors questions
I am still looking for a tractor. I am scared of the china made tractors. Should I be? I trust and american named tractor made in some other country because you know the tractor has to meet the specs set forth by the american company. I guess I need to do some more research into the other tractor models besides the big name tractors. How about the branson/century tractors?? i have seen some of them used for what looks like a good price.

/ Refurbished tractors questions #28  
Soundguy -- you are right that the MF135 is a great tractor (I think I said that before)-- but it is 40 years old and it uses technology that is older than that (and you pay a premium for that reputation)-- if I could buy a new one with 4wd and creeper I would, but unfortunately one of my former countrymen who is now a visitor in one of your state's federal institutions made sure I could not :eek::eek:

He should fry for that...

/ Refurbished tractors questions #29  
Agreed William:p -- once a greedy knight, always a greedy knight!!!
Mattman -- Don't be "afraid" of any make -- opinions are like a lower orifice -- everybody has one:p. The makes you mentioned have a very good reputation around here because they have a couple of very good dealers. No tractor of the size you are looking for is made in North America -- so which importer is better? -- One with a name that charges a premium or one of the smaller ones trying to grow? I don't know!
Go drive some tractors -- don't be afraid to try them out -- talk to the sales guys -- if you don't feel comfortable, don't go back. Read about the various brands on here -- (although as you have seen not everyone will have the same opinion on any given make -- see rule above)
Regards
Steve

/ Refurbished tractors questions #30  
I think you answered your own question, any Vietnamese dealer will not warrentee or have have after sales service. The Chinese tractors are not made as well as Japanese or American, some dealers solve these problems with installed better bolts, parts, etc. I do have a grey market Zennoh and it crosses over to a Kubota model, I have had it for many years and do not use it much but it has been a solid tractor. Maybe I got lucky. Not many American tractors are 4wd that is why many people go Kubota or Yanmar/John Deere.