Which one?

/ Which one? #1  
Hi I have been shopping for used compact tractors for a few weeks now, and have come up with a couple local choices. I would like opinions on what you think would be best for me.
I have about 3.5 acres of wooded land, and .5 acres landscaped. I want to clear some of the woods, aprox another .5 acres.
My driveway is 150 ft. long, and is l shaped ( in front of house) so add another 50-60 ft.
My choices are between a 2005 Kubota B7800, with a homade cab, rear snowblower, loader, blade, homade rake, 1 set of turf tires on rims, and 1 set of industrial tires on rims, both are in great shape, this unit has about 900 hours on it, and was used in a landscaping business. Asking price is $ 17,000.
Also included is a tow bar, and a motor that could be made into a post hole digger.

The second choice is a 2002 John Deere 4010 with a belly mower also with 2 sets of tires, same as above, industrial ones are about 60% though. This unit has about 500 hours on it but was used mostly for just mowing. It is also in better overall shape than the Kubota( appearance wise) I could also get a snowblower for it for an extra $2000. Asking price is $9500.
Both these units are 4WD, any input would be appreciated.
Oh and the guy with the Kubota said I could store the implements at his place, he lives about 1 km from here.
These prices are also Canadian since I live in Canada.

/ Which one?
Sorry for double post, but I forgot to mention that I can get a brand new JD 2320 with FEL MMM and SB for about 22,000 tax incl.;)
Or a JD 2305 with same equip as above for about 19,000 tax incl.

Last edited:
   / Which one? #3  
I'd buy the JD and get the blower with it.

Both are good machines, but the price on the K seems high especially with it's commercial use history.

jb

/ Which one? #4  
Moto, welcome to TBN.

I'd have to agree with John Bud. Getting much more tractor with JD (4010 ?). Much bigger chassis, more weight (less chance of getting stuck), much more lift capacity. HOWEVER, too bad it did'nt come with a loader. Would need to factor in an additional $5,000 (new) when you finally purchase one. Highly recommended as they are just too handy. Also note, with that size & weight of tractor, mowing the grass will leave ruts after a rain or in the spring when the ground still has alot of mositure in it, so best to get a riding lawn mower (or ZTR) to cut property immediately around the house. The belly mower is convenient from a cutting perspective but more difficult to remove & put back on than a rear PTO mower. Is the (4010 ?) gear or hydrostat ? Would be unfortunate if it was gear & would start making the Kubota look a bit better.

On the flip side, the Kubota being much lighter could be used to cut around the house. You are getting alot more attachments. It's smaller size would make it more maneuverable in the woods & it HAS A LOADER. The down-side as John & you have indicated, it more than likely has seen alot rougher work than the JD.

If the JD is hydro-static (or electro-hydraulic shuttle) it blows the Kubota away. The Kubota is just priced way too high & higher risks involved from a reliability perspective due to the work it's been through. Also, you would need to purchase a mower for it. If you get that blower & a new FEL for that JD, your getting a much more capable tractor.

The JD 2000 series are just too small IMHO. It's very difficult if not impossible to get one tractor size to do all applications well. For your property & tasks you have in mind (plus future ones you haven't thought of yet) the 3000 series JD would be the best selection. Mid size chassis (so not too big) but still heavier & good lift capacity.......additional 1000 Lbs on PTO over the 2000 series.

Just my 2 Canadian Cents........so lets see.... half an American penny.

Good Luck,

Vic

/ Which one? #5  
Seem like the price of the orange is a little high. The green one seems like its just undersized for you to do any real work. I would keep looking.

Chris

/ Which one? #6  
Isn't the Kubota B7800 a larger tractor than the John Deere 4010?:confused:

/ Which one?
These are both compact tractors, the Kubota being a bit bigger, and 30 hp, where as the JD is 18 hp.
They are both 4WD, and both Hydro.

/ Which one? #8  
These are both compact tractors, the Kubota being a bit bigger, and 30 hp, where as the JD is 18 hp.
They are both 4WD, and both Hydro.

Right, I knew that. I still say get the deere for your sized lot. You're going to be able to move some large logs with it when you clear the 1/2 acre, no problem. It is going to be a good mower and a good snow mover. Price is also decent.

You can add a FEL. Koyker makes some decent aftermarket ones for a good price. Or Woods, bushog, Westendorf, etc.

jb

/ Which one? #9  
Have you seen a JD 4010? Its a lawn mower and is not going to do very much work.

Chris

Attachments

• 74142340.jpg
    74142340.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 273