So lost, I need help

/ So lost, I need help #1  

renegade13

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for some time and have found a lot of great advice. Now I need help for my specific situation and I'm hoping everyone can help me out.

I just purchased 5 acres with a house. Approximately 3.5 acres is grass that needs to be mowed on a regular basis. The grass is fairly wide open with minor elevation changes. Mowing this grass will be the primary job for the tractor I buy. I'm guessing 90% of the work will be mowing. The other tasks will be the occasional snow removal for about 300' of driveway and tilling a small garden that measures 75' x 75'. I would rarely ever require to move around earth or gravel.

I went and looked at a John Deere 2305 with FEL and mid mount mower. I also looked at similar Massey Ferguson tractors. Although they were beautiful tractors, it just seemed like overkill given that mowing will be their primary job.

Given my requirements, I was wondering if a strong garden tractor with a small tiller and blade or blower might be more along the lines of what I require. I'm a bit concerned about 2WD for the snow portion though.

Any advice you guys can give with model names and numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

/ So lost, I need help #3  
Even though I feel the equivalent Kioti will give you more power, lift capacities, and warranty for less money, I believe the Kubota BX series may be what you are looking for. It is a great dedicated mid-mount mowing machine with decent FEL and BH attachments, it is also light enough to not markup good grass.

Although, for that much grass you may want to look into a rear mount finish mower that will be larger than a mid-mount and much cheaper. If you go that route, definitely look at the Kioti CK20 which can handle a good sized 3pt mower (60") for its size and weight and has a FEL and BH that is a ton more powerful than anything in its class.

/ So lost, I need help #4  
renegade13:

Welcome to TBN :D! No matter what tractor you end up buying; IMHO I would go with 4WD/MFWD and HST if you plan on FEL work and mowing as your primary tasks. I like Dmace's suggestion of a rear mount finishing mower as well- it will give you more ground clearance although you indicate that is not a problem. For mowing work lighter is better as it relates to tractors. Good recommendations so far :D. Jay :)

/ So lost, I need help #5  
Advice heck; it seems you have it all figured out already. Just find a tractor that you look good on and feel better on and be happy.:D:D

Note: Shopping is fun so enjoy that period to the maximum!:D

/ So lost, I need help
Hello,

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

Given that I really have no specific chores for the FEL, is it even necessary? I guess I could use it for the occasional snow removal I mentioned, but that won't be very often. That's why I asked if maybe a garden tractor with a blade might suit my needs better. I found a used JD X485 with 62" deck. Is something along these lines an option?

Thanks again.

/ So lost, I need help #7  
The snow removal would depend on how much snow you get which we do not know.:D

But just in case go for a small tractor with a loader. Loaders are addictive once you have one.:D

/ So lost, I need help #8  
Hello,

Given that I really have no specific chores for the FEL, is it even necessary? I guess I could use it for the occasional snow removal I mentioned, but that won't be very often. That's why I asked if maybe a garden tractor with a blade might suit my needs better. I found a used JD X485 with 62" deck. Is something along these lines an option?

Thanks again.

Based on what you've laid out, I would think a garden tractor with 60" deck and tiller would fit the bill. Beware the JDX485 is not 4WD if that is key for snow removal. Both Deere and Simplicity make garden tractors with 4WD; maybe some others. Then, if you think you might need to move some dirt/mulch/stone around, check out the Johnny Buckets For John Deere Sears Craftsman Cub Cadet Case Simplicity and Many More front bucket. Not a full FEL, but might suit your needs. The bucket can also be switched to a snow blade for winter.

/ So lost, I need help #9  
You will be SO far ahead of the curve by buying a REAL tractor.. even a scut, vs purchasing a riding lawnmower for this type of work. My neighbor has a 3ac 'lawn'. I've lived next to him for going on 10ys now... he's on his 3rd rider mower.. and the other 2 weren't cheap.. they were jd's. same with the guy across from me.. he went thru 2 rider and then bought a small JD SCUT.

18-24 hp, a fel.. creeper trans if gear, and a finish mow deck.. if that's how you'd like to maintain it. or a rough mow deck for say.. 3.25 o fthe ac.. and then just buzz the grass right around the house with a regular lawnmower.. etc.... even a cheapy like a murray 800$ special will last a decade or two in that kind of use.... and be cheape rthan the finish deck..

soundguy

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for some time and have found a lot of great advice. Now I need help for my specific situation and I'm hoping everyone can help me out.

I just purchased 5 acres with a house. Approximately 3.5 acres is grass that needs to be mowed on a regular basis. The grass is fairly wide open with minor elevation changes. Mowing this grass will be the primary job for the tractor I buy. I'm guessing 90% of the work will be mowing. The other tasks will be the occasional snow removal for about 300' of driveway and tilling a small garden that measures 75' x 75'. I would rarely ever require to move around earth or gravel.

I went and looked at a John Deere 2305 with FEL and mid mount mower. I also looked at similar Massey Ferguson tractors. Although they were beautiful tractors, it just seemed like overkill given that mowing will be their primary job.

Given my requirements, I was wondering if a strong garden tractor with a small tiller and blade or blower might be more along the lines of what I require. I'm a bit concerned about 2WD for the snow portion though.

Any advice you guys can give with model names and numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

/ So lost, I need help #10  
Hello,

Thanks again.
I have a CC GT2554 With
Front snow /dirt blade
Rear tiller
54''Mower
That would be ideal for going the garden tractor route.