Forestry use of a tractor:

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #1  

FRIZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
Most of you guys speny a lot of time to convince me that I need two machines. A big one and a small one. O.K. for the big one I like the Kubota Grand L40 series and John Deere 3000 series. (I'm still open to other manufacturers.) As most of my land is wooded, I need to learn about forestry use of a tractor. I'm not planning to clear my land but I would like to:

1. Maintain the wooded 65+ acres.
2. Maintain my hiking trails (1.5 miles).
3. Clear the gravel road (800 yards) from snow.

And maybe do the following:

1. Maintain the gravel road.
2. Mow the 10 acres of meadow.
3. Expand the trails.

What attachments do I need for the tractor? I am looking for quality products which are easy for a newbie to use.

Thank you for the education.
Regards,
FRIZ

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #2  
I have 27 wooded acres and about 3 miles of trails. Also use my tractor to clear snow. I think you will want:

bush hog
backblade or boxblade or both (I use a backblade)
maybe a snowblower - that's a pretty long road (might be better off with truck/blade for that)
loader (of course)...and get a tooth bar...great to have
chipper - if you can afford it - nice to have to chew up stuff around trails and keep mulch on them

I also own a backhoe which was nice for situation - I had to make quite a few changes to improve drainage on the property and the trails. This really depends on your situation

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #3  
Looks like most of your uses due to acreage you have will be with the grand L, mowing fields with bush hog, clearing snow, maintain driveway with box blade, and go in woods for firewood or whatever you planning to do.

Your hiking trail is something else. How do you want to maintain your hiking trail ?
Hiking trail means there a path folks walk on no matter what the terrain is. How wide are you looking ? 2 ft ?(small lawn mower size) ,4ft ?(bx series size) 8 ft ? (grand L and up) Are you looking for a flat area for leisure looking, wheelchair access or just for abled bodied folks looking for a good time and a workout? In my mind, a hiking trail at my parents means using the path where tractor goes. Sorry - not sure what you have in mind. If it was me, and I already have a BX24, I would use the BX24 to make the trail with 4 ft bush hog and maintain. This would be a good size trail and i would go only where its stable. If not stable in that area, its got a backhoe and FEL to level the area or add. Since it would a be a cash issue from here since i already have BX24, i would get a used tractor/FEL with 8 ft bush hog. Either tractor would be good for your other tasks you mentioned and you can hop on whatever the situation called for.

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #4  
Most of you guys speny a lot of time to convince me that I need two machines. A big one and a small one. O.K. for the big one I like the Kubota Grand L40 series and John Deere 3000 series. (I'm still open to other manufacturers.) As most of my land is wooded, I need to learn about forestry use of a tractor. I'm not planning to clear my land but I would like to:

1. Maintain the wooded 65+ acres.
2. Maintain my hiking trails (1.5 miles).
3. Clear the gravel road (800 yards) from snow.

And maybe do the following:

1. Maintain the gravel road.
2. Mow the 10 acres of meadow.
3. Expand the trails.

What attachments do I need for the tractor? I am looking for quality products which are easy for a newbie to use.

Thank you for the education.
Regards,
FRIZ
I was looking at a grand L 4240 last year and ended buying a Kioti DK40se.I burn wood pellets to heat my home.I buy my wood pellets by the ton so I needed a loader that would handle 2000 lbs.The Kioti with the KL401 loader lifts the pellets with ease.I found the kioti tractor seemed more heavy duty built verses the Kubota.Before folks here think that I do not like kubota products please check my signature I own a few.I found the Kioti fit my needs better than the Kubota did.I would get at least a 7-8ft heavy duty back blade(woods,landpride,befco brands)to clear your road and 5-6 ft. HD brush hog to mow and clear small trees and brush.coobie

Last edited:
   / Forestry use of a tractor: #5  
Good Mornin FRIZ,
I think the previous posters pretty much covered your question. Dillo addressed the implements question quite well also. I would only add this. Tractors at best are only marginal in the woods ! Especially if where your located is very hilly. You dont give your location or what type of terrain you have so Im only guessing here.

I realize many TBN members on here have logging winches for their tractors, but if your land is really hilly, you need to be very careful. Any serious tree removal on hilly terrain needs to be done with a skidder.

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #6  
............I think you will want:

bush hog
backblade or boxblade or both (I use a backblade)
maybe a snowblower - that's a pretty long road (might be better off with truck/blade for that)
loader (of course)...and get a tooth bar...great to have
chipper - if you can afford it - nice to have to chew up stuff around trails and keep mulch on them

I also own a backhoe which was nice for situation - I had to make quite a few changes to improve drainage on the property and the trails. This really depends on your situation

I have similar property and agree on those items, except for the back blade as I don't have any experience with one.

If you can afford it and are a decent mechanic, I recommend a Power Trac as the second tractor for the wooded portion, especially if you have any hilly trails. I would look at a PT-1430. You don't want its sibling, the PT-2430. The 2400 series machines don't have the stability you need.

If the PT-1430 is too expensive, then look at the PT-425.

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #7  
Just a few other thoughts if you want to do any firewood cutting:
1) add-on grapple for picking up brush and logs.
2) winch for dragging logs or tops.
3) 3pt hitch wood splitter.
4) pallet forks for lifting logs.

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #8  
I have 16 acres of maple wooded and very hilly, uneven and rocky forest.

My Kubota B7800 is an inexpensive and effective tool for my logging and trail maintenance needs because:

1) it isn't too big to move around in the trees 2) it has a a bucket grapple 3) 14.7" of ground clearance 4) a box blade 5) I use chains and sling-chokers for skidding trees out.

I like the Power-Tracs but with 9" of ground clearance they would get caught up in my uneven ground.

A 3PT logging winch, like the Farmi would great but I don't have enough use for it to justify the $3K+ price.

/ Forestry use of a tractor:
...Especially if where your located is very hilly. You dont give your location or what type of terrain you have so Im only guessing here...

NW Indiana, everything is flat...

Regards,
FRIZ

/ Forestry use of a tractor: #10  
I like the Power-Tracs but with 9" of ground clearance they would get caught up in my uneven ground.

The relatively short wheelbase helps to prevent that. They are also totally flat on the underside. They just don't hang up. It's one of their strengths, of which there are many. There are more than a few weaknesses, too. :)