Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR #1  

Ken_CT

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL
I looked at the Hustler yesterday and it seemed like a nice mower. I have a BX23 so this will only be used for mowing the lawn and mulching and vacuuming leaves. I think Santa is bringing the Cyclone Rake XL so it must be able to pull it. I can get it for a bit over $4k, which is in my price range. It has the 17 hp Kohler engine and I will be getting the mulching kit. There is an option for a Honda engine, but this will be a residential machine so I don't think I need to spend the extra $$. Any thoughts or opinions?

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR #2  
I looked at the Hustler Mini Fastrak last year and I think they use the hydrogear integral hydraulic pump/motor units 1 for each side. The only other major componet is the engine and Honda speeks for itself. That seems to be what everbody is doing except JD in the residential line of ZTR mowers JD uses a seperate pump and a wheel motor for each side I didnt care for the stamped deck on the JD on a ZTR because the leading edge takes a lot of abuse. That said it is the way the rest of the machine is put together that sets them apart. Does this series have the pivoting fron axle? I had a Bad Boy mower and it did not pivot in the front. It would not be a big issue if the yard is relatively level. The Hustler seemed well built to me but I dont remember if the deck pivots.

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR
I don't know what the Cyclone Rake is, but check out the Coutry Clipper Machines: zero-turn mowers from Country Clipper . I like my Jazee 1 with the 42" deck, and it might just do the trick.

Here is the website for the Cyclone Rake:http://www.cyclonerake.com/ http://www.cyclonerake.com/

There is a Country Clipper dealer about a half hour from me, so I will check them also, thanks.
I am getting the XL model of the Cyclone Rake, so there will be some weight being pulled.

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR #5  
Definitely try out the Hustler and give it some serious thought. We sell Hustler and have had no issues with them, especially the Mini FasTrak 42". No warranty issues, no customer complaints, pleanty of great dealers to work with. There is virtually no maintenance on them and they leave a nice cut. Suggestion - If the dealer has the Honda, check out the Honda. I have found the Kohler is louder and vibrates more..but obviously you pay $$$ for the Honda. Good luck!

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR #6  
I have a friend with one. I have a Super Z and he liked it so much he bought the Fasttrack. GoffsEquipment comment is correct based upon the test drives I've made. I have the Kohler engine and it has been a great engine but, the Honda is quieter. When dealing on this purchase you may also consider getting FlexForks. These replace the front casters and make for a smoother ride but, look into if these are recommneded with the Cyclone rake. Somtimes with the weight distribution of an attachement like this they may not. Good luck on your purchase.

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR #7  
I looked at the Hustler yesterday and it seemed like a nice mower. I have a BX23 so this will only be used for mowing the lawn and mulching and vacuuming leaves. I think Santa is bringing the Cyclone Rake XL so it must be able to pull it. I can get it for a bit over $4k, which is in my price range. It has the 17 hp Kohler engine and I will be getting the mulching kit. There is an option for a Honda engine, but this will be a residential machine so I don't think I need to spend the extra $$. Any thoughts or opinions?

A zero turn will change your life. I bought what I thought was a mostly worn out Hustler SuperZ - not hardly, lots of life left in her and frankly one of the most impressive machines I've ever grabbed hold of. Powerful, excellent cut, efficient(cut my mowing time by 60%).

My brother in law parked his MX5000 two years ago and now mows his fields and yard with a Scag - another good brand, says it's quicker and better.

Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 this afternoon Got it with the mulching kit. It should be here by Tuesday. I'm like a little kid on Christmas Eve now...can't wait!
I think I am going to hold off on the Cyclone Rake and see how the Hustler works at mulching the leaves, then going over them with the Wheel Horse with the bagger to pick them up. The Wheel Horse does a surprisingly good job picking up leaves by itself, and hopefully it will do an even better job if they are pre-mulched, maybe not having to empty the bags so often. I'll find out next fall.

Thanks again,
Ken

/ Opinions on Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" ZTR #9  
Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 this afternoon Got it with the mulching kit. It should be here by Tuesday. I'm like a little kid on Christmas Eve now...can't wait!
I think I am going to hold off on the Cyclone Rake and see how the Hustler works at mulching the leaves, then going over them with the Wheel Horse with the bagger to pick them up. The Wheel Horse does a surprisingly good job picking up leaves by itself, and hopefully it will do an even better job if they are pre-mulched, maybe not having to empty the bags so often. I'll find out next fall.

Thanks again,
Ken

After I mulch with my Hustler, there isn't much to pick up. I just mulch ever week or so and it keeps the yard neat and clean.

There is an area of my yard behind a rock wall that is woods. It isn't very wide but it runs along a good portion of the back. I try to keep it neat by shredding the leave with an old, but good chipper/shredder. This is very time consuming. Yesterday I raked a lot of the leaves to an area that I know doesn't have rocks sticking up, which around here is rare :( (whole other project, which is why I got the BX23). Went in a continuous circle over the piles and was amazed at how well the Hustler mulched them. The wheel horse would have just plowed them but the Hustler went over them and turned them to very fine mulch. I'm quite impressed with this machine for the little I've used it. Can't wait for spring so the grass will start growing.